PDA

View Full Version : How much do you pay for Wheel Weights?

Hamp54
11-17-2010, 07:06 PM
I’m suppose to get a price from a recycler tomorrow and I want to find out if he’s hosing me!

mac1911
11-17-2010, 07:17 PM
the price is allover the place here in SE mass. Last junkyard went to and pulled the WW myself charged me .15/lb that was in June in sept I called him and he quoted me .42/lb or .75 already pulled off.

badgeredd
11-17-2010, 07:30 PM
A local scrap recycle charges 1.00 a pound. I pay $.35 a pound from a fellow that I've cultivated a business friendship with. I take home made cookies or donuts in regularly plus cast some boolits and round balls up for the guys that work there for no fee. It all helps to keep a good thing going.

Edd

home in oz
11-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Hmmmmm, have not bought any yet.

Just lucky I locate free ones, I guess.

part_timer
11-17-2010, 08:30 PM
I've been able to find a source that chages $20 a five gallon bucket full.

Roundnoser
11-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Just picked up 60 pounds of clean car and truck WWs today from a garage I frequent. Owner gives them to me for free, but I usually toss him a pack of his favorite smokes, or buy his mechanics a box of donuts every month or two...cheap investment.

shotman
11-17-2010, 09:10 PM
what ever you feel is worth to you--- rmember in april 2011 the lead is banned nation wide

JeffinNZ
11-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Last batch was USD0.35lb.

home in oz
11-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Gotta get more lead!

grubbylabs
11-18-2010, 01:06 AM
I paid 20 bucks for a five gallon bucket couple of weeks ago. I will probably stop back by the shop again next week to see what they have now that I have a burner to smelt it all on.

joelpete
11-18-2010, 04:34 PM
what ever you feel is worth to you--- remember in April 2011 the lead is banned nation wide

Can you cite this? I've just done some cursory searching and I can't seem to find anything to back that up, on a National Scale. I'm sure it's coming, and I don't necessarily contest your accuracy, but I would like to know where I could verify this for myself.

Blammer
11-18-2010, 06:38 PM
at the recycler here you can buy it for sixty cents a pound.

Thecyberguy
11-18-2010, 06:59 PM
I have been told here in Maine that July 2011 lead ww will be banned and supposedly it is nation wide.

The scrap yard in Portland wants .70/lb last I checked , back in the summer.
I paid one garage .35/lb and I had one give them to me, so you never know.

Have a good 'un,TCG

11-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Beat the doors down on every tire shop you know. Last 5 gal. buckets cost me $10 each. Thought I had stolen them-lol. Have lots that have been freebies but they have learned now that they will sell. You can buy ingots for $1 per lb. most anywhere right now. Good hunting.

Cowboy T
11-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Washingon State and California are two states which have banned the further use of lead wheel weights. And it will only get worse. So, get what you can now.

cigarman454
11-20-2010, 07:59 PM
.15 per pound from junk yard .50 from scrap yard. They pay only .01 what a mark up.

Hamp54
11-21-2010, 10:52 AM
The recycler that was supposed to give me a price last Thursday is MIA. I don’t know if he just doesn’t want to sell them, can’t figure out what they’re worth or just doesn’t care. It’s a big place so I’m probably just small potatoes.

Down South
11-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Depends how you look at it, I either pay nothing or a lot. The guy that I get mine from also has my tire business plus I buy fuel from him. I need to get out and find more sources. I work in Houston now and there are tire shops galore but I haven't stopped at the first one yet.
I agree that we need to stash more lead back because the situation will only get worse over time.
I lone for the good old days when it was considered a favor to the tire dealer to pack them off for him.

Hamp54
11-21-2010, 11:34 AM
I’m really new to this but I have been checking with all of the tire shops with very limited success. A guy at Wal-Mart gave me some song and dance about “it’s illegal for me to sell WW’s … we have a company that picks them up from all the stores” etc. etc. Another guy working in a small chain tire store all but ran me off. One of the home-owned-and -operated stores sold me about a fourth of a bucket for $10 and another told me they would call me when they get some. Slim pickings.

Walter Laich
11-21-2010, 01:09 PM
We use a scrap dealer and the going rate is 1 bucket of brass for a bucket of WW. Most of the shooters at the USPSA club don't save brass so we police that and do the trade in

Walt

superump
11-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Just curious - about on average how much does a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights weigh?

jsizemore
11-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Drywall compound bucket 140lbs.
Paint or lube oil bucket 165lbs

I pay $.20 for unsorted. $.25 for sorted/ no zinc or steel.

Parking lots and stop signs/lights are free.

arjacobson
11-21-2010, 05:49 PM
I pay from $10.00 per 5 gallon bucket to $20.00 per bucket

Hamp54
11-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Drywall compound bucket 140lbs.
Paint or lube oil bucket 165lbs

I pay $.20 for unsorted. $.25 for sorted/ no zinc or steel.

Parking lots and stop signs/lights are free.

OK deal on lead ... Heck of a bargain on parking lots!

WILCO
11-21-2010, 07:23 PM
I've always given $5.00 for a mostly filled 5 gallon pal.

jimbo1962
11-21-2010, 08:18 PM
I get mine for free at my local Ford dealer , I have also purchased 5 new cars and truck from them over the last 12 years !

mold maker
11-22-2010, 05:45 AM
My wife called me from Wally World saying she had to have 2 tires. The counter man had already posted the w/o when I arrived.
I ask him about WWs and was given the stock answer"Corporate" won't allow us to sell or give them away. I ask if they paid for what they took off a customers tires, and got a blank stare. I then ask if they also cleaned out the change in customers ashtrays. Again a blank stare. Several others were giggling and listening to the conversation.
I turned and ask if I could have the WWs off their replaced tires and all agreed. Now I turned back to the red faced counter guy and ask if he would gather up all those WWs that had been given me and put them in a box/bag in back of my wife's vehicle. He again started to state the "corporate" saw.
At his point Her car was already on the lift and they were breaking down the tires, I just told Him to put her old tires back, balance them, and I would take it to my regular tire guy for tires.
He ask, Who That Was, and I stated, Where I get my WWs.
Instead he finished the sale and there were over 22 lbs of WWs in a box, in the back.
When we left, He gave us, the old, Thank You for Shopping WM, but I could tell he was glad to see Me gone.

It just don't pay to mess with old retired folks who have nothing better to do than mess back with ya. It is guaranteed to ruin your day. Tee Heee

kbstenberg
11-22-2010, 09:37 AM
My wife thinks I'm taking my lead scrounging too far. 3 weeks ago she came back from getting new tires from our regular tire / repair shop. She had asked them to put all there old WW in the back of her truck an add the price of the WW to her bill since i routinely get there old WW. I routinely pay per bucket + bennies of the occasional case of beer or bagged processed French-fries from the factory i work at. The owner said sorry They had just gotten rid of them.
Granted i don't have a written or spoken agreement for me to get his salvaged WW. But after 2 years of getting all his WW an 5 years of him being the only shop to do my maint. I figured the fact would be known by him.
That is why the wife thinks I'm going to far. To now be looking for a new Maintenance Shop,who will sell me all there WW exclusively.
Kevin

white eagle
11-30-2010, 01:51 PM
two recyclers I dael with sell for .55 and .65 for w/w
take that back lead in general
so I buy what I can get away with

Dannix
12-02-2010, 12:32 AM
kbstenberg, I understand your thinking, but that's because we're both guys and we run on respect. Women run on love, so it's not too surprising she doesn't see it from our viewpoint.

I pay top dollar at my mechanic shop. They give me quality honest work...and the little ww the generate for free. I don't know if I'd leave them, but I sure would feel personally offended if they suddenly stopped fixing me up. I wouldn't be getting quite so much value for that top dollar.

smokemjoe
12-06-2010, 10:17 AM
A few years ago wall-mart gave me 3- 5 gal. buckets of wws, Bumper was on the ground almost. Then the battery man got them all and now he gets them were ever they sell batterys, Brother just got me Sunday a 5 gallon. bucket full, cost me 2 bottles Rhubarb wine.