PDA

View Full Version : Lachmiller mold

Denver
05-19-2005, 06:55 PM
Howdy All;

I don't recall seeing any mention of Lachmiller molds on this forum. I just happen to have one I picked up from a fellow some time ago. It's a 3 cavity steel mold for bullet #311-115GC. It appears unused in the box with a lable that says, Penguin Industries Inc., Lachmiller Division, Sun Valley, Calif.,91352. It's unusual as it has no vent lines on the faces of the blocks. It also won't accept handles from Lyman, RCBS, Or Lee. I thought if I decide to try it I could modify a set of Lee 6 cav handles. I'd like to see what it would do in my Ruger 77 7.62x39.
I assume the company is no longer in business. Anybody have an idea of the time period this mold was made?

Thanks, Ron

beagle
05-19-2005, 09:31 PM
There's a few Lachmillers around. I have a 3 cav .243 100 grain that I got in a deal I beleive. Good workmanship on them and that should do fine in your rifle.

Floodgate can probably give you Lachmiller's pedigree and when it was made. Someone bought them out and I can't recall who at present but it was a progression to one of our bigger production mould makers./beagle

Scrounger
05-19-2005, 09:48 PM
There's a few Lachmillers around. I have a 3 cav .243 100 grain that I got in a deal I beleive. Good workmanship on them and that should do fine in your rifle.

Floodgate can probably give you Lachmiller's pedigree and when it was made. Someone bought them out and I can't recall who at present but it was a progression to one of our bigger production mould makers./beagle

Beagle, it was RCBS that absorbed them...

Shepherd2
05-20-2005, 08:08 AM
I bought a Lachmiller 3 cavity 45 200 SWC mould over 30 years ago. It's been a good and trouble free mould. I bought it new with the handles so I can't tell you what other brand of handles might work.

RayO
05-20-2005, 12:24 PM
I Have Several Lacmiller Molds.They Didn't Have Handles When I Got Them.What I Did Was Use Handles Off A Lee Mold.The Lee Mold Was Narrower Than The Slot In The Mold.I Made Two Shims To Fit And They Work Just Fine.The Mold Was For A Muzzle Loader.I Bought It For 5 Bucks With This Project In Mind.

44man
05-20-2005, 04:09 PM
Holy smokes, I haven't heard that name in many-many years! They were good molds.

Maven
05-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Lachmiller molds appear on EBay from time to time, often at low prices. "Bullet Lady" (Victoria Gilbert) on the Auction Arms site occasionally has them as well. Btw, the quality of her bullet mold offerings is excellent.

Beau Cassidy
05-20-2005, 07:27 PM
Ditto on the "Bullet Lady". I got a HP'd .405 mold from her a year ago at a pretty good price.

Beau