PDA

View Full Version : Uberti 1873 Revolver

Gene Perryman
11-17-2010, 10:30 AM
Does anyone have one of the Uberti 1873 Army revolvers, particularly the Evil Roy version ???

I've owned 3 Vaqueros and had issues with all three !!!

I have one Uberti 1858 and thus far have never had an issue with it. It's a shootin piece of plunder particularly with the Kirst 45 ACP cylinder. Unlike my Vaqueros, it shoots where it's aimed !!!

Thanks,

Gene

littlejack
11-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Hey Gene:
I bought one of the Uberti "Evil Roy" models a few months back. I'm still in the R&D mode with the loads. Things are getting better. I found out that there was a tight spot just ahead of the forcing cone , and that was sizing my boolits down too small. I have polished out that area and things are looking up.
You may want to check out your Rugers in that area. That may be the problem. If not, have you miced the chamber throats and slugged the bores of the Rugers? You could have a boolit fit problem. Good shootin.
Jack

jh45gun
11-18-2010, 09:55 AM
I have a Uberti Cattleman 45 Colt and I love it. It is a great pistol. For what it is worth I bought the Uberti because I swore I would never buy an other Ruger Single Action.

cajun shooter
11-18-2010, 10:56 AM
The Rugers are noted for having the cylinder and barrels of different sizes. If and when you can you should look at the USFA's sold by Long Hunter. You will not find them that will not shoot. I have owned both the premium and the Rodeo's. The only difference is the outer finish. The case color is done by Turnbull on the premiums. Both pair of guns shot to POA straight out of the box. They are SASS ready when you receive them with a life time warranty.To me they are the best revolvers being built at this time.

9.3X62AL
11-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Another former Uberti Cattleman owner, and it was a fine-shooting example. Sorry I sold it after getting a "Built Backwards" Ruger BisHawk 45 Colt in 1996. Once I opened the throats to .453", the Ruger became as tractable as the Cattleman had been--and far more capable as a hunting revolver, given its relative strength and longer barrel (7.5" vs. 4.75").

Still, a 255 grain boolit at 925 FPS is no slouch in the game fields. That Uberti placed them right where the sights looked, and at that speed. NEVER should have sold that revolver.

If I were in the market for a fixed-sight SAA in 45 Colt, the USFA Rodeo would get a lot of my attention.

Wayne Smith
11-20-2010, 07:23 PM
Another pleased Uberti Cattleman owner. Mine are in 44-40 and I shoot the Holy Black in them.

Grapeshot
11-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Does anyone have one of the Uberti 1873 Army revolvers, particularly the Evil Roy version ???

I've owned 3 Vaqueros and had issues with all three !!!

I have one Uberti 1858 and thus far have never had an issue with it. It's a shootin piece of plunder particularly with the Kirst 45 ACP cylinder. Unlike my Vaqueros, it shoots where it's aimed !!!

Thanks,

Gene

Having owned both Rugers and Uberti's my vote is for the Great Western 2 marketed by EMF.

NickSS
11-22-2010, 03:47 PM
I have owned rugers but today I have 4 Ubertis in 45 colt and 357 mag. The only problem I had with one of them (my oldest one) was it shot to the left slightly but I bent the front sight slightly and it shoots center now. In fact it is one accurate gun. I have shot one foot steel plates at 100 yards with it during cowboy shoots at my club and hit five for five on several occasions.