PDA

View Full Version : big ohaus scale

izzyjoe
11-16-2010, 08:47 PM
i stoped at a local pawnshop today, one that i go by often. and they have an ohaus scale on the shelf for sale. it's a big one ,it goes up to 2610g. and i'm not sure if it's grams or grains, but it's an overkill for me but if i can get it cheap enuff i may buy it. anybody had any dealin' with one of these, am i wasting my time or not. i'm sure i could use it for alot of different things besides reloading.:razz:

shaune509
11-16-2010, 09:26 PM
great scale if it has all the counter wts.
that is 2610grams or 5#2oz capacity.
was a sciance type scale, ohaus is one of the bigger scale companys in the usa and has made scales over the years for the bigger reloading tool companys like rcbs. check there site for parts and instructions.
they even at one time had there own line of molds, etc.
shaune

jsizemore
11-16-2010, 09:33 PM
g is grams
gn is grains.

I have a big RCBS 304 scale that goes to 1113.1 gn. Most of the RCBS scales were made by Ohaus. The 304 was the biggest reloading scale I ever saw, but I haven't seen everything. Maybe this helped?

Model numbers and the internet would probably be your best bet.

mike in co
11-16-2010, 11:23 PM
i stoped at a local pawnshop today, one that i go by often. and they have an ohaus scale on the shelf for sale. it's a big one ,it goes up to 2610g. and i'm not sure if it's grams or grains, but it's an overkill for me but if i can get it cheap enuff i may buy it. anybody had any dealin' with one of these, am i wasting my time or not. i'm sure i could use it for alot of different things besides reloading.:razz:

this is the triple beam lab scale.....often uesd in drug labs..as in not legal drugs....

grams not grains...i use one in balancing pistons and rods( and rods end to end).....

not good in the gun biz i think.......

mike in co

thegreatdane
11-18-2010, 02:07 AM
heck, I'd use it for alloy mixin'

mike in co
11-18-2010, 09:01 AM
heck, I'd use it for alloy mixin'

yep i missed that use it for lead and lube mixing

high standard 40
11-18-2010, 09:57 AM
I have one of those. I inherited it from my father-in-law who used it to weigh ostrich eggs. (don't ask)
I find lots of uses for it alloying and finding the average weight of a larger sampling of boolits than can be handled with a traditional reloading scale. Conversion of readings is a simple matter.

cajun shooter
11-18-2010, 10:05 AM
In the 60's and 70's they were called triple beams. I saw more than one guy walking down the street with one under his arm. That was until most cities outlawed them. When I was a cop we would donate them to a school science teacher for class room work.

mdi
11-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Since 1958, the grain or troy grain (Symbol: gr) measure has been defined in terms of units of mass in the International System of Units as precisely 64.79891 milligrams.[1][2]

from Wikipedia. Grain = gr.

9.3X62AL
11-18-2010, 04:17 PM
I cannot count the numbers of 2610 gm Ohaus triple-beam scales I confiscated at drug labs and sales sites. In the hundreds, at least. They are accurate if set up properly, but kind of overkill for most reloading uses.

I do trust balance scales far more than I do electronic/digital scales, though. My kids think that is hilarious, and call my Ohaus (ha!) single-beam 505 "My Reloading Abacus". Rotten brats. Smart, savvy daughters are not ALWAYS such a blessing.