PDA

View Full Version : 8mm-06

joeb33050
10-07-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm thinking of having my M70 Target rifle freshed out to 8MM-06, does anybody out there know anything first hand about this caliber?
Thanks;
joe b.

felix
10-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Simply a great conversion. Just slow the twist down from typical. ... felix

Johnch
10-07-2006, 07:40 PM
A few years back I used one that a freind converted from a Mil. rifle to a hunting rifle .
Grind , drill & tap for a scope and then run in a reamer .
For a *** looking rifle it shot well with J bullets

Never tryed cast

Worked well on every deer we shot

Good luck

Johnch

Four Fingers of Death
10-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Are you going to rechamber an 8mm to 8mm/06 or rebarrel the rifle to it? If you are rebarrelling I could think of better options (338/06). I have always fancied rechambering an old Mauser to 8mm/06, but I've got more guns than I can use anyway, so I have never got around to it. Mick.

joeb33050
10-08-2006, 06:09 AM
Are you going to rechamber an 8mm to 8mm/06 or rebarrel the rifle to it? If you are rebarrelling I could think of better options (338/06). I have always fancied rechambering an old Mauser to 8mm/06, but I've got more guns than I can use anyway, so I have never got around to it. Mick.

I have a M70 Target in 30/06-it shoots jacketed fine but the throat is worn too far out for cast, and I shoot cast almost exclusively. No takers when I try to sell it.
Norm Johnson will rebore/re-rifle to 8MM-06, 338-06 or 35-06, I'm thinking the 8MM.
??
joe b.

John F. Lang
10-08-2006, 07:32 AM
I have a Mauser like Mick was talking about I chambered out to 8mm-06.

Shoots great with J bullets but haven't tried the cast in it yet though I have one of the Karniner moulds(?).

If you are going to get a rebore, I would suggest the 338-06. I am making a 760 in that caliber now and it has a few more bullet options available.

Just my opinion.

The 8mm-06 is a great caliber if you go with that one.

J. Lang

Junior1942
10-08-2006, 09:08 AM
IThe 8mm-06 is a great caliber if you go with that one.

J. LangThe 8x57 is also a great caliber. For hunting, I think I'd rather have an 8x57 than a 30-06.

Dark Helmet
10-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Why not just set the barrel back and rechamber in 30-06 if your bore is still good?

joeb33050
10-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Why not just set the barrel back and rechamber in 30-06 if your bore is still good?

Because the barrel is a straight taper. Thus, the stock.....
joe b.

Hackleback
10-08-2006, 05:24 PM
8mm-06 is a very good cal. Most out there are milsurp conversions of the 8X57. I have a sporterized 98, though is has some issues, it will shoot less than MOA. The barrel on the one I have is a bit rough and groups open up after about 10-15 rounds. It also leaves a raised ring on the neck of the fired brass that can cause a sticky bolt. I assume that this ring is the end of the old chamber. Mine shoots quite well with the Hornady 170 gr RN and a modest load of H 380. This combination is quite good on deer as well. As for a bench rest cal, nothing wrong with it, but nothing gained over other more common cals.

Just my 2 cents

Four Fingers of Death
10-08-2006, 06:09 PM
There is only one guy in Australia who rebores and he charges about $20 less than one of his new barrels. His brother died I think some years back and I am told he will only do historically importamt pieces.

The 8mm is a popular and effective hunting round, but it doesn't see much use as a target round.

For lead boolits, it as much case as you will ever need I suppose. I'd be tempted to go a bit bigger in bore, 338 which again is not that popular with cast boolits targeters or the 35Whelan, ery popular with cast boolit shooters.

If you can get hold of a copy of Veral Smith's book, jacketed performance with cast bullets, he has a good section on what he feels would be the perfect cast bullet barrel. Your guy may or not be able to cut it this way (you mightn't agree with Veral either). the book is $25 and it was on Paco Kelly's site, although I can't find it now. Pm me if you want me to look up their address, I will take the book with me, we are heading off for a week. Gotta go! Mick.

SharpsShooter
10-08-2006, 06:19 PM
I bought a nice 1943 K98 with the intention of ripping the barrel off and making it a 338-06. However, it shot so well with the 250gr 8mm max, I can't bring myself to do it. As to the 8mm--06, I don't see any clearcut advantage over the 8x57.

SS

Pop Gun
10-09-2006, 01:28 AM
Joe,

Of the bore diameters you list, the 35 bore runs the slowest twist per bullet weight. 16 twist will handle anything up to 250 grains if you don't go wild on the meplat.

But it seems that all you do is punch paper. So why not just replace the barrel for another 30-06. You are invariably already set up for that caliber. Why take more pounding? You can still cut back to a slower twist and molds exist galore.

Wayne Smith
10-10-2006, 07:16 AM
Back when I was a callow youth and didn't know s***t, I ordered a Spanish Mauser in 7x57 from one of the surplus vendors for $49.00. I got a Turkish Mauser in 8x57, 30" barrel, and shot out. Even to my uneducated eye the muzzle was oversize and it didn't shoot worth beans using surplus ammo. I took it to a gunsmith (Yes, I 'cleaned' it first, you know where this is going!) to have the muzzle cut off and rechambered to 8mmx06. I figured I got a new throat and a new muzzle and could keep the same barrel. When I got it back the gunsmith kindly educated me about corrosive ammo and how to clean, but the bore was and is, well, speckled it's whole length. With a Williams arperture sight I can put condom bullets into 2" @100 yds, so it never got a new barrel and it's my rough truck gun. Original stock, cut down, recoil pad slapped on, truly a Bubbed mess. It's the one I learn on! I still have some Sierra seconds in 220 gr. that I bought 20+ years ago when they were still in Serria Springs, CA. It shoots those fine.

Now that I know more I think I'd stick with the 8x57 if the barrel was adequate. In the same situation, with a rifle in the same condition, I'd probably do the same thing I did then.

One thing, I don't expect to own a 30-06 until I get rid of this thing, if I ever do. Headstamp problems. I'm not organized enough to reliably keep the brass separate.

Four Fingers of Death
10-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Unless it is something you have always wanted to try, I'g get a second hand barrel from a target / highpower shooter or a gunsmith that rebarrels their guns. You might be forced to convert to 308 though, There are a few gunsmiths here who will fit an old target barrel (most are like new) for $20-30 plus the normal barrel fitting fee. I have had a few target shooters give me an old barrel in the past, ask around.

If it was something you always wanted to do, go ahead, you don't want to be sitting on the porch in years to come saying, 'dang it I alwayys wanted one of those 8millly mettttrer thingemabobs, I wonder what it would have been like?

Mick.

fourarmed
10-11-2006, 12:07 PM
I take it this isn't a pre-'64. Even so, I would think you'd be ahead having it rebarrelled to exactly what you want, and keeping the original barrel original. I can just see your heirs rending their clothing someday because ol' Joe ruined a rifle that otherwise would have been worth a small farm in Montana.

357maximum
10-11-2006, 02:35 PM
I take it this isn't a pre-'64. Even so, I would think you'd be ahead having it rebarrelled to exactly what you want, and keeping the original barrel original. I can just see your heirs rending their clothing someday because ol' Joe ruined a rifle that otherwise would have been worth a small farm in Montana.

Do what you want with it regardless of what "THAAAAY" say not to do with it. I have "MURDERED" several "CELLECTORS PIECES" I get a gun to shoot it. If it is not quite what I want, I make it into what I want. Your "HEIRS" will deal with it in whatever condition it is, and no matter how you "BUBBA'ED" it. Life is too damn short to worry about collectors value imposed on a "TOOL", make it to your desires, and leave the worry for collectors...JUST SHOOT THE DAMN THINGS..IT IS WHAT THEY ARE/WERE DESIGNED FOR...If you want to stare at art go to a gallery...

MY .02

I have several marlins/winnies/rugers that some deem collectable,,what I have done to them would make "THEM" sick, but it makes me happy...

Michael

No_1
10-11-2006, 03:28 PM
I do not have one but have searched the internet and read much about it. It looks like a fine cartridge. It has been said that a 8x57 handloaded to it's potential will beat out a 30-06 SO I would think a 8mm-06 has to be a little better right? People build 338-06's all day long. That seems popular but I am sure it is because .338 is an American round.

It is said the 8x57 never really became popular in the Good Ole US of A. I am one of those guys that likes the "odd" caliber this or that OR the strange looking this or that. Perfect example is I have 3 mausers. One was a looker, box stock but the numbers did not match so I cut that one up, added a peep site because I desired to make the M98 version of the NRA 03. As soon as I find the right stock and get a blue job it will be done in 8x57. The 2nd one I bought from an auction site because it was a deal. When it arrived the stock looked like it was wittled with a dull paint scraper Soooo I ditched that stock. The barreled action is in great shape. Rifling is clean, aftermarket bolt handle is there, it is D&T's with scope rings and an old 4x weaver. It is still 8x57 but it will change to 8mm-06 as soon as I get dies and a reamer (anyone have one laying around?). The last one was given to me by my Dad. It is a most beautiful custom job that appears to be built on an old Military action (thumbslot is present) bent bolt, D&T'd perfect blue job and marvelous stock. I will not touch that one.

Anyway, I like my guns pretty and that is plain and simple. If I cannot do what I want with them then I do not want them. Do as you wish. I think it is a great idea. Heck, I might want to do a Ruger #1 in 8x57 one day OR maybe take my Ruger #3 in 44 mag in perfect conditon (see many of those?) and rechamber to 445 SUPERMAG or maybe 444 Marlin. Wonder what they will say about that!

Done with my ramble now,

Robert

I'm thinking of having my M70 Target rifle freshed out to 8MM-06, does anybody out there know anything first hand about this caliber?
Thanks;
joe b.

floodgate
10-11-2006, 09:36 PM
357 Max:

The only way to keep the "Collector Nazis" happy is to buy two of everything; put one away in your safe-deposit box, wrapped in plastic with a packet of selikagel (Russian for silica gel); ammo, tools, guns, etc., etc.: and then shoot, chop down, Bubba-ize, paint pink, or whatever tickles you fancy the other one.

And even then, they'll carp endlessly about the one you "destroyed". My rule is: "It's MINE; I paid for it; I can do whatever I want with it!!!!"

(Am I over-reacting?)

floodgate

floodgate
10-11-2006, 09:50 PM
No 1: One of the main reason for the limited popularity of the 8mm in the US is the existence of the older original M1888's and a number of sporting models that used the old .318" groove diameter, vs. the M98's .323". The ammo makers 'way underloaded the commercial ammo (and may have used undersized bullets) that made the 8mm sound pretty feeble as compared withthe .30-'06. (Western even loaded in the 1940's a REAL compromise round as the "8mm Mannlicher and Mauser" that could be used in either Mauser, PLUS the quite different 8mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer"; it was REALLY feeble!)

Of course, reloaders - and especially us "Cast Booliteers"- are a lot smarter, and can get the REAL performance out of the 8mms. I doubt if there's a nickel's worth of difference between the M98 round and the .30-'06; if there is, it's probably in favor of the slightly larger diameter of the Mauser, allee-samee the .32 Special vs. the .30&30.;

floodgate

No_1
10-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Agreed! I just got kind of long winded on that last one and did not mention what I thought was common knowledge.

Robert

No 1: One of the main reason for the limited popularity of the 8mm in the US is the existence of the older original M1888's and a number of sporting models that used the old .318" groove diameter, vs. the M98's .323". The ammo makers 'way underloaded the commercial ammo (and may have used undersized bullets) that made the 8mm sound pretty feeble as compared withthe .30-'06. (Western even loaded in the 1940's a REAL compromise round as the "8mm Mannlicher and Mauser" that could be used in either Mauser, PLUS the quite different 8mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer"; it was REALLY feeble!)

Of course, reloaders - and especially us "Cast Booliteers"- are a lot smarter, and can get the REAL performance out of the 8mms. I doubt if there's a nickel's worth of difference between the M98 round and the .30-'06; if there is, it's probably in favor of the slightly larger diameter of the Mauser, allee-samee the .32 Special vs. the .30&30.;

floodgate

felix
10-11-2006, 11:02 PM
If I were going to get a reamer for gun and dies both, I would seriously consider a 8x57 long neck. A 30-06 case sized as is in a 8x57 standard die set. Cut the length back so the neck length would be exactly equal to that of the 32-30. I would throat the gun for the boolit of choice seated to beginning of neck. This would give plenty of room for the boolit to be seated less and less deep as the throat got longer and longer during use. By doing this you would have a gun remaining accurate enough for 20K full bore rounds. The idea would have a case capacity that will launch your boolit of choice to 2400 fps. In my case (literally) that boolit would be the RCBS 170 grainer, and the 8x57 is large enough to just do that. If you are talking 200-220 grainers, then you'd have to go on up to the 30-06 case to get that velocity. ... felix