PDA

View Full Version : Old refrigerator !

Freightman
11-16-2010, 08:09 PM
I have an old refrigerator that I keep in the shop for excess food storage, well my neighbor who has a contract with some part of the housing authority to keep up the properties and haul the old appliances off. This morning he ask if I wanted the one that was on his trailer for storage. Well I thought I could use it for storing my ammo and powder in and be better than the filing cabinet I have that in now.
Well to make a long story short I plugged it in just to see as the thing looked new. Well it works a lot better than the one I was using so cleaned it and put the food in it and took the really old one for storage. Wonder who pays for the new appliances?
I did make a good ammo powder locker out of the old one.

lead-1
11-16-2010, 08:28 PM
At the place I used to work we used an old refrigerator for welding rod storage. It was unplugged as a fridge but we had a 60 watt light bulb inside it that was on all the time, it worked like a goldenrod in your safe.

HeavyMetal
11-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Fridge's make the best powder vaults!

My favorite is the side by side fridge with no latch magnets keep it closed and, if you have "curous hands" a block of wood through the handles secures it temporarily.

Powder on one side primers in the other!

geargnasher
11-16-2010, 10:56 PM
+1 on the old fridge for a powder/ammo locker. I have a side-by-side 35" that i rewired so the interior lights stay on constantly. It's really convenient to have the contents backlit, and the humidity is practically nil.

Gear

Just Duke
11-17-2010, 11:39 AM
I though a fridge in the garage was made to store beer in?

RayinNH
11-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Does anyone use a garage to store a vehicle anymore?

swheeler
11-17-2010, 12:13 PM
The two you have will work just fine, one for cold beer and the other to smoke fish in, got to have smoked fish with the beer!

11-17-2010, 01:45 PM
You can lay a non worker down, put in some rich soil, and use it for a plant starter. An old storm door over it in the day and close the door at night. My old camper fridge serves as a welding rod keeper. Hot wired a 15 watt bulb to keep it dry. Never thought about using one for powder/primers-thanks for the tip.

oksmle
11-17-2010, 02:33 PM
"Does anyone use a garage to store a vehicle anymore? "

If God had meant for garages to be used for cars, he wouldn't have invented power tools....

Suo Gan
11-17-2010, 02:33 PM
They work good, especially the old ones. But be sure to fumigate those babies before taking them inside, lots of cooties and crawlies in them old fridges.

theperfessor
11-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Took me years to get SWMBO to understand that garages are for machine shops, not cars. And yard barns are for the other stuff that some people think belongs in a garage...

gnoahhh
11-17-2010, 06:49 PM
So, does the light stay on when you close the door? I tried opening it really fast to find out but I don't think I was quick enough.

My first wife actually thought it did stay on.

SmuvBoGa
11-17-2010, 07:16 PM
COVER !!!! :razz:

randyrat
11-17-2010, 08:51 PM
So, does the light stay on when you close the door? I tried opening it really fast to find out but I don't think I was quick enough.

My first wife actually thought it did stay on.
That's funny

Cars in a "gayrouge", are you kidding that's a waste of space.

home in oz
11-17-2010, 10:26 PM
I have not seen a car in a garage in my neighborhood.

Driveways, in front of house, etc.

Note that I did not say in yards.

Jack Stanley
11-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Oh , I dunno fellas ........ there's something good to be said about not having to scrape frost or ice off the windshield at six in the morning so you can get to work .

There have only been a few times when the project got so big I had to park outside at night .

Jack

JeffinNZ
11-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Here are my safes. One for 'toys', the other for lead etc.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/IMG_0022.jpg

MT Gianni
11-18-2010, 12:40 AM
Does anyone use a garage to store a vehicle anymore?

Both my car and truck overnight in the garage. That is the case only because of a big enough shop.

RayinNH
11-18-2010, 11:45 AM
"Does anyone use a garage to store a vehicle anymore? "

If God had meant for garages to be used for cars, he wouldn't have invented power tools....

I seem to be like most here, car in the driveway, garage is the workshop. Mine has a freezer, not a fridge, and it actually stores food ...Ray

82nd airborne
11-18-2010, 10:56 PM
If you take an old fridge that doesnt work, wire a 40wt lightbulb in and it keeps all your welding rod free from humidity. Im sure it would do the same for powder.

Charlie Sometimes
11-18-2010, 11:46 PM
Here are my safes. One for 'toys', the other for lead etc.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/IMG_0022.jpg

Great idea! 8-)
No one would think to look inside for your "toys" if they broke into your home while you were away. Now, if they tried to put money in and nothing comes out.............. :razz: