PDA

View Full Version : Wifes elk

elk hunter
11-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Yesterday about 4:30 the wife started the freezer training for this big cow. This is her third ML elk tag and her third ML elk. I think shes beginning to get the hang of it. She's gotten to the point she doesn't want to hunt elk with a modern rifle.

Remington 700 50 caliber, 100 grains of Goex 2 FF, a wonder wad and a 385 grain cast conical, lit off with a musket cap.

The elk was quartering away at about 65 yards and took a step as the rifle went off. The bullet hit high in the right flank, clipped the spine and was recovered under the hide on the left side mid rib cage after it broke a rib.

It was nearly dark by the time we took pictures, got the jeep into where the elk was and dragged it out to the road. It was 8:30 before it was hung and skinned. Made for a long day as we started at 4:30 am.

With one deer and two elk in the freezer I believe we'll eat well this winter.:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Now we have to wait a year before we can do it again.

wilddog45
11-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Very impressive.Now the work begines

RugerFan
11-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Wow good job! Looks like a biggun!

TCLouis
11-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Looks like she now needs it to train it to lie down and wrap up in freezer paper..

Congratulations to the hunter, She has laid in "provisions".

Old Goat Keeper
11-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Mity nice lookin elk that young lady got!

Tom

home in oz
11-17-2010, 01:47 AM
Good hunt! Nice Elk!

MtGun44
11-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Good looking pile of dinners there!

It sure is a job to skin and cut up an elk. I spent from about 8:30 am to 4:30 pm on my
cow elk, getting the quartes off and everything in bags and hung up until we could
get the horses to it. Serious job of work. Elk is my favorite. I don't think there is
anything that beats elk tenderloin pieces just fried in a skillet with a bit of onions
and a touch of salt and pepper.

Bill

swheeler
11-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Elk Hunter; the wife did GOOD! congratulations on the ML elk

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Hey there Elk Hunter,

You must be in the Baker, Oregon area?????????????????

I went to H.S. in Dayville. Broke loose in "61"

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

legend
11-18-2010, 08:28 PM
BIG COW!! nice going!

elk hunter
11-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Hey there Elk Hunter,

You must be in the Baker, Oregon area?????????????????

I went to H.S. in Dayville. Broke loose in "61"

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Actually I'm in Bend. I'm much younger than you, I Graduated from Bend High in 63.:wink:

I'd like to live in Baker, but I'm stuck here at least until the real estate market comes back. Can't hardly give a house away here.

I spend a good portion of my summers in the Baker area, actually at McEwen, the East end of the Sumpter Valley Railroad. I fix things for them and do a little train service. Keeps me from getting bored when I can't elk hunt.

longranger
11-18-2010, 09:34 PM
:drinks:Love the "Traditional" hunting clothes,they killed plenty of animals in the old days without all the super camo.Outstanding

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Got ya!

The photographs of the train and RR from the "Sumpter Valley RR" were what took me the Baker direction.

Nice country.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

gon2shoot
11-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Drove the jeep to it? Drove the jeep to it!? I didnt think that kind of thing was legal.

Congrats to the missus, lot's of good meat there.

leadman
11-20-2010, 04:55 PM
In Az. it is legal to drive to a downed big game animal.
Nice big cow! Now you need to train your wife to herd the elk closer to the road bafore she shoots. lol