PDA

View Full Version : Large P.O.I. difference?

.22-10-45
11-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Hello, has anyone else had a very large P.O.I. change with a Colt S.A.A. from shooting off sandbags..either frame touching, or only forearms with wrist loose, & firing off-hand, either one-handed or non-shooting hand supporting arm behind wrist? With a Colt 2nd. gen 71/2" .38 spec., From reat at 25yd., shots hit lower right hand EDGE of target paper. Offhand, P.O.I. closer to sights, but still low & right.

tek4260
11-16-2010, 10:25 PM
In a word, yes. I learned this the hard way a few years ago when I was filing a front sight. The best way I can come up with to shoot for me is to stand on my deck with my elbows rested on a soft pillow on the railing.

44man
11-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Anything you do to change barrel rise under recoil will change POI.
I only find the very large calibers are less affected. I can sight my .475, a .500 JRH and the 45-70 from bags with the barrel and butt on bags and still hit POA off hand. I can not do that with the .44 or .45 Colt and found Creedmore is the best way to sight in.

Molly
11-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Anything you do to change barrel rise under recoil will change POI. ... I only find the very large calibers are less affected.

44MAN has it right. If you want to hit something from a rest with a revolver, rest the barrel on top of it, and leave an inch or two of air below the grip. It'll hold steady, and you'll hit like you will from offhand. Rest the grip on anything solid, and you'll shoot higher than a kite, and have a good chance of cracking the grip into the bargain. And in my experience, the heavier recoiling guns are just as susceptable as the small bores, if not more so. But that could be because I mostly use the heavier bullets for a cartridge, which tend to give higher recoil and point of impact anyhow.

Also, ALL handguns will deliver better accuracy if held firmly. But don't try to simulate a vise and grip it so tight that your hand shakes! A fellow by the name of Newton proved that you CANNOT keep a gun from recoiling. But the gun will respond best to a firm, uniform grip, and that's hard to do with a limp hold.

44MAG#1
11-23-2010, 07:37 AM
I have been trying to tell people this for years and they just give me this "you must be crazy look" so I have about quit helping most people out with any information unless it is someone that seems worthwhile to conversate with.
If you are one that uses a rest the great majority of the time experiment with a hold that gives minimum difference and then continue to use that hold.
Through experimentation things are learned even though it may take time and money.
Advice is good but unless someone that is giving the advice can actually be there to watch someone shoot who know what that that individual is actually doing.
BUT you can build on the foundation of given advice which without you have noting to build on.