PDA

View Full Version : What Handgun Scope Do You Like?

Bigscot
05-19-2005, 05:45 PM
I am thinking about taking my Aimpoint off of my SRH and putting a scope on. I was curious what types of handgun scopes you all like. I am thinking about a Burris ballistic plex or a Nikon. I borrowed a Simmons one time and it worked fine. Any thoughts?

Bigscot

BCB
05-19-2005, 06:02 PM
Bigscot,
I have a 2x-7x Burris on my SRH. It has held up fine through some fairly heavy 44 Magnum loads. My 1/2 dozen 'scoped Contender barrels also have Burris 'scopes on them. I have had no problems with Burris 'scopes. Good-luck...BCB

mike in co
05-19-2005, 06:48 PM
hmmmmm...what aimpoint are you taking off ???

i have used a 2x luepold on my srh for load development, but use an aimpoint for competition( steel at 50 yds)

my two cents worth is crosshairs tend to make you concentrate on left/right, and up/down, and the dot is just put the dot on the target....

up to what you are trying to do ....

Bigscot
05-20-2005, 10:01 AM
I have an aim point on a Mk II and love it. I borrowed a 4x Simmons and put it on the SRH. It was great at the range and I could shoot some tight groups with it but 4x was too much for in the woods. The one time I had deer come by all I could see was brown. I pulled the hammer back 2-3 times but never fired. I couldn't make out where I holding. I then decided to try the aim point. It is good for getting on target quickly but I can't get as tight a group as I did with the scope. Now I am thinking about putting the scope back on. I now do most of my deer hunting in eastern N.C. More fields and longer shots. So I am thinking the Burris with the ballistic plex and variable power would be nice. I could probably get by just as well with a fixed 2x but I have the ballistic plex on a .17 hmr and love it so I thought it might work good on a .44.
I would still carry the rifle mostly but there are some times and places where I could use the .44. I have had it since 1987 and have not killed anything with it so I want to carry it more. Plus with a scope, I don't have to worry if it is turned on or off or battery life.

BS

44man
05-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Most all are great. I bought a Swift on sale and the thing is built like a tank. I was impressed. E. Arthur Brown sells them. Take a look at them.http://www.eabco.com/Swift01.htm

Poygan
05-20-2005, 12:27 PM
The only scope I have for handguns is a 4 power Burris on a Contender. I got a nice buck with it in the 80s. I would estimate the range at 25 yards and all I saw was brown. If I had to do it over, I'd look at a 2-7 variable.

KYODE
05-20-2005, 02:58 PM
i have had a 2x burris on my 7 1/2" redhawk for quite a few years. it's great imo. nuthin but max loads......ever.

the 2x burris(and i'm pretty sure leupold also) have the widest field of view at 100 yards than any other scopes out there. 21'@100 yards.
the burris 2x7 variable also has a 21' wide fov when on 2x.

burris variables do shorten in eye relief as you turn up the x's. i have no problem with that as it fits my shooting style, but some do.
the bushnell trophy 2x6 and the bushnell elite scopes do have a more constant/longer eye relief for arms length shooting.

i have a bushnell trophy model 2x6 on a braked 300 win mag encore handgun. it is a very good scope for the money so far. although it's "fov" is not as wide as a burris.

buck1
05-22-2005, 02:35 PM
I have many diff ones! mostly on TCs , but a few on revolvers. The best all around InHO is the leupold 2x. BUT I have used the bushnell 2x6 eer with great results. even on big kickers ,444 marlin based JDJs. I havent tested the swift yet but I have one.
If cost isnt a factor , Leupold gets the nod, next burris, then bushnell.
I have not used a simmonns, I am skiddish of them but I dont Know why.
I think any of these 3 scopes will serve you well. and on a relolver a 2x is a sure winner, with the 4x being slightly wiggly for me off hand. ......Buck

bobthenailer
05-25-2005, 07:50 PM
after much testing of various hand gun scopes with durablity and field of view as whats most important to me ! go with leupold, have 6 of them . still have 2 burris left ot of 4 that i owend optics lousy sent a 1.5 x 4 back 3 more times after i had the reticul changed to heavy duplex, 1st reticule broke after 20 shots , 2ed scope went blury after 30 shots, 3ed sent back because paralex was set wrong , well so far everything ok but i dont know for how long . i also currently have1 tasco , 1 nikon & 1 bushnell

JSH
05-25-2005, 11:53 PM
Well I have to chime in here. At the moment I have in Burris, 1.5x4,3x9, 5X,7X, 10X. In the B&L 2x6 Elite. In the Bushnell 2x6 Elite and 2x6 Trophy. In the Simmons a 7X, and a 2.5X and a 3X TC scope.
As you can see no Leupy's. Nothing against them, just a little pricey to me.
I pretty much favor the B&L and Bushnells, for the eye relief. They have been a lot more foregiving than ANY of the others I have actual had the chance to shoot with, not just look through at the store.
As to the lot of them being able to handle recoil. Maybe I am a wuss don't know. But I have had all of them but a Leupy on the 15" Encore 308. Nope it is not loaded down either. Ran some over the chrono a while back just for giggles, pushing a 170 around at 2500+.
I will say the revolvers recoil a lot differently than the TC and XP stuff.
I am pretty sure most of the companies guarantee there product some what. I have never had a scope fail, yet............. I have heard bad about all of them. Bushnell is in my backyard, so no problem there, know most everyone there now. Only dealings with Burris I ever had was lost some TT caps and called them they were here in about 3 days, no charge. I bought a used TC scope a few years back. Thing just looked cloudy to me from day one. Sent it back to them and had a brand new scope in my hands 5 days total later. Simmons, nary a problem there.
I think attitude goes a long way with those folks when ya have to deal with warranty issues. They probaly get tired of all the complaints and cussings after a while, we all have our good days and bad.
I am a firm believer that a lot of scope failures are due to sloppy and improper mounting techniques. Cry once buy once attitude.
Jeff

Slowpoke
05-26-2005, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE=JSH]I pretty much favor the B&L and Bushnells, for the eye relief. They have been a lot more foregiving than ANY of the others I have actual had the chance to shoot with, not just look through at the store.

I sure like the 2x6 B-L Elite as well.

I bought mine new in 89-90 I believe.

Put it in a Redfield three ring mount on a .357 TC, had to shim the base to get on at two hundred.

Many many rounds sent down range and nary a problem to date, now it is a Max with around 500 rds, still just fine.

A bonus for me was, as I did not research it, is that the eye relief remains constant from 2 to 6 power.

Its hard enough to learn one good position, yet a new one everytime you turn the power ring.

Good scope !

JSH
05-26-2005, 11:16 PM
I have both, the B&L Elite and a Bushnell Elite. They both run darn close to each other quality wise. The B&L wins hands down in cloudy weather and darker situations. The fellas at Bushnell swear the glass is the same, but I am not buying that. Close maybe, but not as good.
I go over there and bitch at least 3 or 4 times a year about not having anything over 6X. I told them if they would come out with somthing equal in the eye relief department of the 2-6, only in at least an 8X (I would prefer somthing up to and above 12X) they would put the hurt to Leupy and Burris.
A straight 10X with good eye relief and not critical like the Burris 10X would fly to in my book. For the most part across the board, just aren't many people shooting over 200M with a handgun. Any of them shooting 500M I would guess less than 3000 in the country. Any of them shooting 1000 yards or mile stuff , YES 1 mile, very specialized, but less than 500 that are real serious about it.
One of the guys I shoot with some has a Leupold that a fellow over hauled and ended up with about 15-18X and around 12" of eye relief.I called and asked about $ on doing such a job, long story short, ain't gonna happen any time soon for me, right around $7-800 including the price of the scope.

But back to the bottom line on scopes for handguns, if it has a known brand name, I think you will be good for the most part. Uh, don't fool with the NC Star stuff on the heavy thumpers. I have heard nothing but good on their warranty, but the head aches of it aren't worth the problem.
Jeff

44man
05-27-2005, 02:44 PM
Just food for thought, I destroyed my LaserAim with recoil. Tasco, Bushnell, Millet, Bsa red dots and now a laser. The Tasco scope is holding up real good though but it is dark. Got it free so I can't complain too much. Looks like the .475 is just too much for the cheap stuff. I don't want to spend big bucks on lasers or red dots until I find out if they stay together. I find it hard to use a scope when deer hunting in the early or late hours since I got OLD.

RANGER RICK
05-28-2005, 01:37 PM
I have had no problems with the Leupolds that I have and been using for quite a few years with full house loads . I have a Leupold m8 2x on my Ruger Redhawk and a Leupold m8 4x28mm on my Smith PC Hunter 10.5 . The one on the smith has really taken a pounding with no ill effects . Most of the loads are with 700 gr bullets that are kickers to say the least . I did pick up a Weaver Classic 2.5-8 28mm that came off a BFR 500 . Going to mount it on a Smith 4" 500 soon . The weaver has already proven it's self !!!!

RR

44man
05-29-2005, 03:56 PM
I changed my Tasco out to the Swift on my .475. I was comparing them in the basement against a dark paneled wall. The Tasco is 30mm and I could not see the crosshairs or paneling. The Swift was MUCH brighter and I could see the wall and it is only a 1" tube. It only took a few shots to sight in and I think it will be better for deer in the early morning. I tried hunting last season with a 4X Bushnell and could not see a deer with it at all. I could not see the crosshairs either so using two eyes did not work. I would buy the TC scope with the lighted reticles but even the discount price is rediculous.
Most scopes and red dots work fine up to .44, but you fellas will have big problems with BIG calibers. I have wasted a few dollars, but nowhere near what one expensive red dot or lighted scope costs. I am afraid to spend that much when I don't know if they will hold up under repeated and extensive shooting with the .475.

44man
05-29-2005, 04:03 PM
If you notice, I have been using Warne rings. Let me tell you, they are easy to mount and REALLY hold the scope. I have not had a scope move at all.
I destroyed a Burris scope tube with Ruger rings on a .44 Hunter. I lapped the rings and used rosin inside of them. Still slipped, tried friction paper, still slipped so I retired the scope. It is ugly now but there is no damage inside.

StarMetal
05-29-2005, 04:07 PM
44 man

Go get yourself a can of 3M Liquid Tape. This is used for insulating electrical wires. Clean your rings and scope with a solvent to get rid of the oil then coat both halves and install your scope. Let dry and not only will your scope never move, you'll have a hard time getting it out.

Joe

Bass Ackward
05-29-2005, 04:43 PM
I have wasted a few dollars, but nowhere near what one expensive red dot or lighted scope costs. I am afraid to spend that much when I don't know if they will hold up under repeated and extensive shooting with the .475.

I have a Sightron Red Dot that is clear as a bell and holds up to one of my 458s. Nice positive adjustments and a flip of the dial changes the dot to 4 different patterns. Was $200 from Midway. Zero power, so eye relief is an inch to a mile. It's a 30MM and comes with rings. It has extension tubes that screw into it that enable it to be mounted on a rifle which is how it was on the 458. Right now it is mounted on my wife's new 1894 so she can see how she likes the concept.

Never had a scope on a wheeler.

44man
05-30-2005, 12:33 PM
Bass, I will have to look into it. What you must remember though is that the recoil effect on a scope with the .475 revolver is a LOT more then your .458. The weight of a rifle plus gun movement being retarded by your body takes up most of the recoil but a revolver comes back RIGHT NOW and the scope does not want to move yet. Pieces and parts are common.

bobthenailer
05-30-2005, 01:37 PM
before you buy a handgun scope ck the field of view ! most are small compaired to a leupold & burris this is important for fast target pick up while hunting moving game off hand a little less important if shooting from a rest at game, but in my book very important all the time!

Char-Gar
05-30-2005, 04:36 PM
I am 63 years old and have been shooting handgun for 50 of those years. I have never shot, owned, or touched a handgun with a scope and never intend to. Just ain't natural!

Bass Ackward
05-30-2005, 08:01 PM
Bass, I will have to look into it. What you must remember though is that the recoil effect on a scope with the .475 revolver is a LOT more then your .458. The weight of a rifle plus gun movement being retarded by your body takes up most of the recoil but a revolver comes back RIGHT NOW and the scope does not want to move yet. Pieces and parts are common.

Well, the only reason I mention it is because that 458 is a 6 1/2lb model that made two Leupolds sound like burnt out light bulbs when shaken. The only scope that can hang on it has been a Springfield Armory that I used for load development and this Sightron Red Dot. Best I can offer.

StarMetal
05-30-2005, 08:26 PM
Bass

I was shooting my 1886 Browning made Winchester this weekend. It's a carbine and doesn't weigh much more then your 458. I was using the 405 RCBS (which weighs out more then 405) over 50 grs of H4895. My chronograph gives almost 1900 fps with this load and I've shot quite a few deer with it. Man let me tell you that with that cresent steel buttplate it whacks the devil out of you. Today I loaded it down to 40 grs of 4895 and it still whacks you pretty good, grant you not as bad as the 50 gr load. Shoots into just about 2 inches at 105 yards with peep sights. I think a scope would get a work out on it if it had one.

Joe

sundog
05-30-2005, 09:53 PM
A scope on a handgun? uhhh,...,mmm,...,err-a,... you can do that? sundog

44man
05-31-2005, 12:05 AM
I do fine with open sights when the sun is up. But in the early morning and evening I can't see the sights against a deer. A dark scope is just as bad. Thats why I like the red dots but this .475 cannon is rough on them. It makes it tough to hunt if I have to wait 15 minutes for more light and the deer are gone.
Even a .44 is tough on scopes and mounts. I sheared the front turn in lug on a Burris ring. I had to silver solder it back together and drill and tap it for a screw.
That .458 is LIGHT and I can see why it tears up scopes, but a big revolver is even rougher on them. A big problem is a lot of the lenses inside a scope are glued in. All lenses should have screw in mounts but it costs more. You would think with the price they cost that enough money is made so they could improve them without adding to the price. I have torn up the new Weavers, Burris, Tasco and Simmons on handguns, slug guns and rifles. I have never broken a Leopold. I hate to pay as much for a scope as a new gun costs. I still remember the old Weavers and B&L scopes. They NEVER broke. Once in a while one would fog up but the company would repair it or replace it at no cost. Some still do but some want you to send money with the scope.
I am impressed with the Swift. It has the thickest tube I ever seen on a scope. It is very heavy for it's size. I will let you know if it holds up. I shoot a lot and have 200 rounds through the .475 this week alone. And that is just one gun. My Ruger SBH has over 56,000 heavy rounds through it. Then there are all the other handguns and rifles. I need to buy a lead mine!

44man
06-03-2005, 08:27 PM
OK, I have an answer about the Swift scope! I took the .475 out of the safe today and noticed what looked like dirt on the lens. It was GLASS on the inside. The crosshairs were also broken. I only shot about 20 shots the other day and never looked in the scope after the last shot. It will be on it's way back tomorrow. I put the Tasco back on the gun.
Scratch another company!
Talking to a friend today and he said he gutted a Leupold on his .44 SRH. So where does that leave me?

44man
06-25-2005, 09:18 PM
Swift sent me a brand new scope but did not answer any of my questions about how much recoil they will take. I played it safe by mounting it on my Ruger Mark II.

Johnch
06-28-2005, 12:23 AM
On my Ruger SRH I have both a Bushnell 2-6x32 and a Millit 30 MM red dot.
Both have had 1000's of plinking to full power loads in the last 5 years.

Johnch

Hardcast
06-28-2005, 06:48 AM
1st choice: Leupold

2nd choice: Burris