PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Lyman Whack-a-mo Full Length Resize Dies

vacek
11-16-2010, 11:07 AM
For grins and giggles I have been buying up the old FL resize dies from Lyman that was used for a FL size of a case when needed. I also have some of the Wilson FL sizers as well.

I have no problem with the Wilson, but for example on my Lyman 308 there is no way I can get the cartridge to fully insert. I have Whacked, used the vice, and the Harbor Freight Arbor press. I was able to get the case within about 1/8-1/4" from the head, no further.

Any suggestions???

Yes I lubricated. Imperial.

mike in co
11-16-2010, 12:06 PM
what was the 308 brass shot in ?? ex mil from a machinegun ?
those are the largest once fired i have seen.

mike in co

Green Frog
11-16-2010, 09:45 PM
I've only used them with earlier, rimmed cases that were mostly straight sided or tapered, not actually shouldered. I don't know how much push it would take to make the over expanded web of a heavy case like that but I can't believe that it would take but so much more push to make that size down.I'd try backing out, relubing lightly and running it into the die again. JMHO, good luck.

Froggie

vacek
11-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Yeah, I hav a bunch of them and will try a 38 special. I am also going to take an already sized 308 and see if it works.

RP
11-16-2010, 11:36 PM
I get alot of 308 that was fired in a bravo machine guns I run them in my FL sizing dies twice after that they work fine in three bolt actions I reload for. If I just size one time they will chamber but are tight to tight for me but another trip in the die they load in rifle smooth. Not sure if that help you any.

vacek
11-17-2010, 01:15 AM
Well, I tried sizing a brand new out of the sack 308 Remington Case. No Cigar. My guess is the sizing die is mislabled. possibly a 7-08 or a .243, although it looks long enough to be a 270.

cajun shooter
11-17-2010, 09:53 AM
I would try another die as yours could be mis cut. Second if at all possible try to stay away from machine gun fired brass. These weapons have a large chamber so that they are able to fire all rounds fed. You said you had no problem with the wilson dies. Lyman had a time when a lot of equipment was put out of that plant that should have failed inspection.

frkelly74
11-19-2010, 09:12 PM
I once used a lyman sizer to size old military 06 brass, If I lubed them right it worked very well. I used a vice for pressure and did have some cases end up with a checkered head. That was in my lee loader days.

vacek
11-21-2010, 12:07 AM
I know this brass hasn't been fired in a maching gun because it is new brass. I tried out one of my dies (38 special) and that worked. I have another 308 Lyman sizer so tried that out. It worked. That means the initial "308" die is another caliber or completely off.

shotman
11-21-2010, 12:16 AM
are you useing the deprime punch? I know it is a dumb question but it may be set too deep stopping the case

nicholst55
11-21-2010, 02:51 AM
are you useing the deprime punch? I know it is a dumb question but it may be set too deep stopping the case

The dies in question don't deprime; they only size.

Steelbanger
11-21-2010, 06:38 AM
I used to use one of those old Lyman sizing dies in 308 Win but I used a vise to squeeze the case into it. Worked every time. It's here somewhere and has been unused since 1971. Seemed as though it was reamed to minimum specs.