PDA

View Full Version : old/new vaquero

Dogg
11-16-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm feeling pretty dumb right now, just got several vaquero's to play with, I was under the impression they were old style vaquero's but now I am not sure. How do you identify the difference between a old style (stronger) vaquero and a new style (not so strong) vaquero. I was hoping to be able to use the same loads in these as I do in my 45 colt carbines but don't want to blow them up.

home in oz
11-16-2010, 11:34 AM
I would be interested in knowing also

Pepe Ray
11-16-2010, 12:13 PM
It sounds to me like you have a clutch of "Old" vackies.
Aside from the fact that the "New Vaqueros" are built lighter/smaller to the point that one of each in the hand would be "Obvious", the "New" vackies are stamped on the frame as "New". The Old model would not be stamped as such because when it was made it was NOT old, simply a "Vaquero".
Pepe Ray

Dogg
11-16-2010, 02:22 PM
yes I got a b race of old vaqueros which is what i wanted since i plan on loading the same rounds for my 45lc rifles. Got one more vaquero coming not sure about it though.
This pair has the round ejector rod button and a pretty massive cyulinder and frame and don't have the 'new vaquero'scroll mark. A little holster wear but they are tight and have fantastic triggers! I assume they will be able to handle a pretty stout load for out in the woods.

.45Cole
11-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Dogg-I'm trying to buy an old 44 mag cylinder and feel your pain on what is what.
If you had the two variants in your hand you could immediately tell the diff, I think the 'new' vaquero is like 4/5 the size of the old ones.
1. I think many of the new ss vaqueros have a colt like black polymer grip
2. I think that the hammer is shaped different (better) than the old one
3. (best) measure the cylinder diameters, there's no way to fit the old larger cylinder into the 4/5 frame. PM if you need old cylinder diameters, or just measure one at the gunshop (excuse to go!)

August
11-16-2010, 07:34 PM
If your pants are pulled down when the gunz are in your holsters, they're old model vaqueros.

If they're (almost) as light as Colt's, they're new Vaqueros.

If it takes both hands to get your fingers around the grip, they're Old Model Vaqueros.

If they have a cylinder indexing ball at the bottom, inside, rear of the frame (below the base pin), they're new model vaqueros.

If you can tie a small boat to them and it holds in a swift current, they're old model vaqueros.

If you take the grip panel off and find a gun locking device at the base of the main spring (near bottom of grip frame), they're new model vaqueros.

Pepe Ray
11-17-2010, 12:29 AM
August;
Are you saying, by avoiding the subject, that the New Vacs. are NOT marked on the frame, "New Vaquero" as the older Vacs are marked "Vaquero"?

I don't own one, of either type.
Pepe Ray

2ndAmendmentNut
11-17-2010, 08:04 AM
I don’t know what “genius” is in charge of naming the guns at Ruger but he should be kicked for every time someone asks the difference between a new model and an old model Vaquero. As far as I understand it the “old” model Vaquero is basically a new model Blackhawk only with fixed sights, meaning it has a transfer bar and two pins in the side of the frame. Old models are every bit as tough as their Blackhawk sisters. The new model Vaquero also has two pins in the frame, a transfer bar, and is labeled “New Vaquero.” The New models are great slick shooters more closely based on a Colt, however they should not handle 45colt+P ammo. Confused yet?

Dogg
11-17-2010, 08:30 AM
LOL, yep sure am! pretty sure the 2 I just got are old models. by chance does anyone know if there are grip panels made that add some length to the grips, I have big hands and pinky finger is dangling in space.
Also noticed that these do not index on the cylinder squarely when rotating believe this is one of the bugabus of the old model, right!

August
11-17-2010, 10:51 AM
noticed that these do not index on the cylinder squarely when rotating believe this is one of the bugabus of the old model, right!

This is the nature of the Rooooger design. It is annoying to see that line around the cylinder. And, you would think a pistol ought to be better built and timed than that.

However, this way Roooooooger drops the bolt (er, excuse me, 'cylinder latch') actually makes the gun more durable and trouble free in the long run (I think).

BTW, "New Model Vaqueros" do, in fact, bigger-than-life have the words "New Model Vaquero" stamped on the left side of the cylinder frame.

c.r.
11-17-2010, 10:43 PM
While Ruger initially stamped New Vaqueros as such............believe it or not, but Ruger is now producing New Vaqueros sans the "New" stamped on the side of the frame.............or at the very least certain New Vaqueros, maybe not all of them.

for an example take a look at this auction and scroll down to the second pic.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=200461981

while not much of a big deal on New Vaqueros chambered in 44 spcl or 357mag............But if they are doing the same thing on New Vaqueros chambered in 45colt, things could get a bit dangerous for folks who aren't familiar enough with Rugers to recognize various models by something other than the roll marks.

EDK
11-17-2010, 10:58 PM
Orignal Size (Old) VAQUEROS has a two digit prefix serial number...5X-XXXXX.

NEW VAQUEROS have a three digit prefix....510-XXXXX seems to be common on the various internet auctions.

Four Fingers of Death
11-18-2010, 09:26 AM
The new v old is not a matter of one being better than the other, but more a case of which one suits your needs better. I don't have any old models at the moment but I have several Blackhawks and New Vaqueros (including a pair of SASS 357s that I bought for the wife today :D, niceeeeeeeeeeeeee! The Blackhawks are probably a bit stronger than the original Vaquero because they have a full (fugly looking) topstrap, which no doubt would add soemwhat to their strength. Having said that, when I had my 44Mag Vaquero, it was my first 44Mag and the only single action gun I had for awhile. It consumed a lot of 'Elmers', i.e, 22Gns 2400 and 245Gn Keith style SWC and also a lot of loads chock full of 296! Didn't seem to faze it any.

The Blackhawks would be my first choice for a rock solid SA, but if I was wearing it all day in a holster, especially on horseback, I would stay away from the adjustable sights and stay with open sights as the adjustable get the paint chipped away and the corners rounded off.

I have a 4 3/4" (or 5/8", not sure) Blused 45 Blackhawk Convertible with a pretend ivory grip. it is one Sweet gun.

If you do end up with a New Model you won't be handicapped, but I'd load my rifle rounds in nickle cases (easy to find in the grass) and brass for the revolver.

6.5 mike
11-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks guys, I found one at a show today & wasn't sure how to tell them apart other then the weight thing. 4&5/8 in. .357 came with an andrews crossdraw hostler, anybody know anything about them ? Brown oil finished, fit the gun very well.