PDA

View Full Version : recoverd lead from a test tube from my gunsmith.

Tom R
11-16-2010, 01:08 AM
I was wondering if any of you have ever taken lead from a test tube. I got some today as he was replacing the shooting tube. The problem I have is it looks like dirt. he shoots mostly shotguns. I am temped to screen out the big chunks and try to melt down the rest. I figured I could just pull all the dirt off the top of the molten lead. Any thought's?

lwknight
11-16-2010, 02:16 AM
It will be good lead. Expect a lot of oxidized dross that you can either toss out or try to flux most of it back into solution with wax.

WILCO
11-16-2010, 02:27 AM
Any lead is good lead.

Tom R
11-16-2010, 03:16 AM
it just looks like dirt. it feels like dirt. there are alot of shot wads in it as well I have to sort those out and I will try to melt some soon.

Calamity Jake
11-16-2010, 09:34 AM
WARNING!!!! There will be a lot of dust/lead oxide in it so ware a partical mask while sifting.

Tom R
11-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Will do. Will all the dirt sit on top? do I need to screen this stuff or can I just skim it off the top of the pot?

imashooter2
11-16-2010, 05:45 PM
I use a lot of indoor range scrap. It has lots of fines from the bullets splashing on the armor plate backstops. Those fines melt same as the larger pieces and there is a lot of weight in them. I recommend shoveling it into a pot and melting it all together. Dirt floats on the melt just the same as if it came from larger pieces.

scb
11-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Liable to be some unburned powder as well. Every once in a while the tube we had would "flash". Wouldn't hurt anything but could be startling.

Tom R
11-16-2010, 11:28 PM
I use a lot of indoor range scrap. It has lots of fines from the bullets splashing on the armor plate backstops. Those fines melt same as the larger pieces and there is a lot of weight in them. I recommend shoveling it into a pot and melting it all together. Dirt floats on the melt just the same as if it came from larger pieces.

This is what I wanted to hear. Thank you.

WILCO
11-18-2010, 01:45 AM
I smelt all of my indoor range lead with a hotplate and cast iron skillet. It takes a bit of time as I usually do a couple of scoops. When everything is ready, I'll pull the skillet and prop one side at an angle while using a large spoon to hold the crud back. The lead moves to the lowest point and when cooled, I have an odd shaped ingot. Not the fastest process, but it works.