PDA

View Full Version : Problems with .45 racegun

Reaper
11-15-2010, 09:35 PM
My fellow range officer purchased a used Colt Gold Cup racegun. It has compensated bushingless barrel that has a pronounced cone behind the compensater. It's slinging PMC 230gr FMJ's sideways through target at 15 yards. Point of impact is about 10in. left of the point of aim with the rear sight all the way to the right. Considering the amount of money he spent, he's beside himself.
Not being familiar with raceguns, I need some info. The rifling is strong, could the barrel have a twist rate suited for a lighter boolit? Need a stronger spring? Worn barrel? Phase of the moon? I'm flailing here.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Ron

Bullshop
11-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Also might check for muzzle damage.

bhn22
11-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Have you checked the muzzle crown for damage? Another thing to look at is the comp itself, is there any intrusion into the bullets path? Is the barrel lockup tight? If you're concerned about the barrel twist, try different ammo. 230 gr ball is almost an insult to a racegun. All American ammo manufacturers offer target grade ammo.

HeavyMetal
11-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Race guns with "comps" have a nasty habit of needing to be cleaned on a regular basis because powder risidue builds up and actuall makes contact with the boolit as it exits the comp!

I have also seen comps with to small an exit hole and these "nick" the boolit as it exits the comp!

Without pictures and having the thing in hand this is gonna be a tough call.

Some other things to check; how is the comp attached? Did the new owner take the comp off before he fired it the first time?

Did the gun have a full length spring guide that was replaced with the stock set up befor firing?

Any or all of these things can and will cause your problem.

How did he buy this, from the orginal owner or as a trade in a gun shop? If he can get ahold of the original owner he may have a chance at figuring this out, if he bought it from a gun shop, and hasn't changed anything I suggest a refund hunt!

A single stack Gold Cup is a very old race gun.

MtGun44
11-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Comp or barrel may be cracked. Lots of the old guns developed a crack at the threads and would bend like this. Then the boolit hits the comp and gets dumped sideways. Look inside
the comp for some copper marks from these jacketed bullets. Close look with bright light
and magnifier may find a crack.

Bill

98Redline
11-16-2010, 09:08 AM
I would agree with the above that the comp is the most likely suspect.

Also if it is a multi-chamber comp, don't forget to look at the divisions between the chambers The bullet could be striking one of the inner chamber baffles as well.

Reaper
11-17-2010, 11:43 AM
And the winner appears to be the compensator. Looking at the pistol from the muzzle end, there is a copper mark at the 10:00 position. The inside of the comp has ridges of carbon, looks like pillow lava, all along the bottom. He has the comp soaking in brake cleaner and hopes to brush or pick it out. I'll let you know how that works. Thanks everyone for the help. Ron

bobthenailer
11-17-2010, 01:25 PM
yea thats what i was going to recomend comp/ barrel alignement im not sure of the size of the bullet exit hole in the comp but i have 2 comped pistols in 45 acp ones a clark and the other a heine, and i could measure them if neaded . if you make them to large the comp isent as effecint due to blowby .
leave a PM bob

98Redline
11-17-2010, 04:36 PM
If he is still having issues after a good cleaning, take it to a gunsmith and have them run a reamer through the comp. That should both clean out any buildup and remove any metal that might be making contact.

casterofboolits
11-18-2010, 09:05 AM
I agree with the comp misalignment. I competed in IPSC for 25 years and have seen this problem quite a few times. Even one comp that made a heck of a hole in a close range target when it let go!