PDA

View Full Version : Saved the cash!!!

docone31
11-15-2010, 09:24 PM
I got ambitious today.
I am waiting for Que's bolt to arrive, so I got out the old bolt hold back.
I had been thinking, what is done to make it so it is simpler to operate?
The makers of aftermarket parts offer the part for about 15$ plus shipping, give or take. I got on the net, and found a link to the how to do its on the 10/22.
The repair is simple, on the bolt plate there is an opening that looks like an heart. Grind out the part that is the V that goes in the opening. Then take the burr and go around the inside of the opening and remove the stamping marks.
Replace in trigger group.
Simple, and saved some bucks.
To remove the trigger spring that holds the plate in place, remove the pin that the spring is on. The spring then folds back allowing the plate to be removed. Remove the plate, do the dirty, then replace.
Now the bolt can be brought forward with a rearward movement of the charger bar. Like the Marlin 60.
Easy to do, and if you mess it up, you can get a new piece for a couple of bucks.
I doubt you will mess it up though.
It is that simple.

AZ-Stew
11-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Got photos?

Thanks,

Stew

docone31
11-19-2010, 09:22 PM
No, however I do have a link.
http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/fixermod.htm
Now, he reccomends a diamond burr with a dremel. I used a Foredom and handpiece. I found a cutter burr cut very fast. It was a quick job. And, it works well. I put the bolt in and it worked.
You can do it.

AZ-Stew
11-23-2010, 08:52 PM
I'd have sworn I answered this yesterday. Maybe I hit "back" instead of "submit".

Thanks for the info, Doc. Looks like an easy conversion. I've always wanted my 10-22 to release on retracting the bolt. I don't know why Ruger doesn't make them that way in the first place.

Regards,

Stew

looseprojectile
12-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Following your lead I fixed my rifle and the bolt drops perfectly.
I did find that I needed to increase the spring tension to get it to work really well
initially. Probably was warped or had a burr.
I have had this 10 22 for several years and have done several fixes to it and
I am liking it a lot more.
At the risk of being accused of hijacking your thread I will ask if you have ever weighed your 22 rf ammo to sort it into two or more lots to enhance accuracy.
My grandson does this to a bulk pack in 20 or 30 minutes.
I use an electronic scale. Accuracy is a lot better with either the light or heavier lot. I don't know whether the bullet or powder is the variable and I have not checked on that. I just shoot em.
Thanks for the URL with the pictorial.

Life is good

docone31
12-11-2010, 01:55 PM
It sounds like your reciever had the Ruger Bump. That is an area on the inside of the reciever that goes below the plane of the milling. Rather than increase the spring tension, flatten the bump.
Even though it seems like it should not do anything, it does affect the action on certain ammo.
I never weighed my 10/22, or ammo. My rifle I suspect is around 15lbs, and I imagine the ammo is 36gns.