PDA

View Full Version : Help with a simple lube

Sendaro
11-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Greetings to all, I'm new on this form and new to making a lube. The lube will be for a 32-40 Winchester bullet 319247 being shot from a Stevens 44 (not a 44 1/2) so the pressures will be held to that of BP loads. Would like to hear what you would suggest for a simple lube for bullets being shot as cast and pan lubed. I have just purchased the mold, and a Lyman BIG DIPPER furnace, and other equipment. Learning how to cast with a laddle at present. Have much to learn. Your suggestion will be a big help. Thanks, Sendaro

cajun shooter
11-15-2010, 10:26 AM
You need to give the informaton on what powder before a lube could be suggested.

fryboy
11-15-2010, 01:16 PM
black powder velocities can usually run black powder lubes ( even without black powder ) having said that... emmert's works and is real easy and universal and can be modified about six ways to sunday ( recipe in the lube recipe section ) and also will work if you decide to shoot black powder , but when you mention "shot as cast " nothing comes close to the ease of tumble lubing unless you just have your heart set on pan lubing and recluse has an excellent article ( and recipe ) also in the stickies section , several lubes work or can be made to work for pan lubing , some like darr's lube often takes a lil more tweaking than others but for lower velocity rounds it isnt as critical as the higher velocity ones [shrugz]

btw ? welcome to the forum ! the best advice i can honestly give is "just do it ( sorry nike :-P ) i admit i studied the lube forum about a billion times and none of it helped me as much as just trying it ( granted the threads did help prepare me - thanx guys !! )

geargnasher
11-16-2010, 12:53 AM
+1 on Emmert's for sub 12K c.u.p. loads.

Gear

Tom-ADC
11-16-2010, 01:01 AM
+1 on Emmert's for sub 12K c.u.p. loads.

Gear

Another vote for Emmerts, I use a modified version I use lanolin in place of the oil.

Sendaro
11-16-2010, 07:10 AM
Thanks guys. I'll look up the Emmerts lube and give it a try. BTW the powder I have been using in IMR4227 at 12 grains. Again the rifle is a Stevens 44 and not the stronger 44 1/2, so I need to keep the pressure levels down to what blk powder would be. Just shooting paper, steel gongs and plan to hunt a few woodchucks with this rifle in the spring. So power is not a big issue but accuracy is the main goal. If you can hit the mark what good is the power?

Trifocals
11-16-2010, 07:22 AM
If your bullet fit is good, you could easily do the job with LLA or Lars's XLox. Just for a suggestion, try 4759 powder.

Sendaro
11-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Trifocals, I have an old can of IMR4759 powder. The rifle that I'm shooting is a Stevens 44 and not the stronger 44 1/2, so I have to kep the pressures down to that of a blk powder load. The cartridge is the Winchester 32-40. Would like to hear your suggestions for this powder and my rifle. The bullet mold that I have is a double cavity Lyman #319247. The bullets are droping from the mold with a 1 to 25 mix at 158 grains. What would you suggest for a load? Please advise.