PDA

View Full Version : Soule Sight Modification

montana_charlie
10-06-2006, 01:29 PM
This is for any of you guys who use the Pedersoli USA-405 or USA-406 Soule-type tang sights.

The used gun I bought last winter came with a USA-431 tang sight. Pedersoli calls it the "Long Range Silhouette High-precision Creedmoor".
This unit has two screw-type windage adjustments, one for the eyepiece and one for the staff. It also has a vernier scale (unlike the 'giveaway sights' on some factory packages) for elevation adjustment. It's actually a pretty serviceable sight...but I wanted a Soule.

Only thing is...Soules don't have that adjustment on the eyepiece - which eliminates the need for a windage-adjustable front sight to get a perfect mechanical zero.

When my 406 arrived, I immediately checked to see if 431 eyepiece parts would fit the 406...and they did. It took a fair amount of dinkin' around to get a schematic of the USA-431 with part numbers...and Italy was 'closed' for the whole month of August, so there was a delay in getting the parts ordered.

But now, I have a Pedersoli Long Range Soule with two windage adjustments.

This mod won't work on the 'cheapie' sights from Pedersoli because the eyepiece carriage parts are totally different in design. It only applies to those models which are able to accept their (USA-463) Hadley-style eyepiece.

The part numbers needed for the changeover are:
M700005581

Dixie Gunworks has the lowest price on these, but their ordering process is kinda slow. VTI Gunparts charges a bit more, but can get 'em faster.
Any other Pedersoli dealer can include these parts in their monthly order from the factory.

With this mod, you can use the eyepiece adjustment for your initial zero with the staff centered...leaving all of the staff adjustment available for wind changes.
CM

omgb
10-06-2006, 08:55 PM
OK, MC, I've got that sight. How much was the change over?

montana_charlie
10-06-2006, 10:37 PM
VTI Gunparts wants a bit over forty dollars for the three parts, and eight bucks (as I recall) for shipping.
CM

Lee
10-07-2006, 01:29 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but for those who "DO" own the Pedersoli cheapie sights.:

I have two sets of the cheapies and no money to do the $300.00 upgrade. If you are interested in reasonably priced different ocular diameters apertures cups for your cheapies try this gentleman:
jhulett@chartermi.net (ph 231-943-0653) He made a couple extra for me at a cost of $10.00-$15.00 each. Very patient, listes well, and delivers a pretty good product for those who can't make their own. He also does some of the really odd thread sizes. I recommend him................................Lee:)

montana_charlie
10-07-2006, 02:30 PM
I have two sets of the cheapies and no money to do the $300.00 upgrade.
Which upgrade would that be, Lee?
CM

Lee
10-08-2006, 03:15 PM
montana_charlie.....

Cabelas has a Pedersoli Soule sight for $250.00 Add in shipping and it's "sorta" $300.00 (couple other catalogs have sights for a LOT more!)
The only reason I say Cabelas Pedersoli is because I have little access to other sources for sights. Modifications or "teweeks" if needed are pretty much out of the question. I just want a drop in replacement.
The two sights I DO have. One sight cup is threaded real close to #6-40 thread. Metric types don't seem to fit, and 6-40 is one HARD to find thread size. So $15.00 for an eyecup with 0.028" aperture wasn't too bad.
The other sight is about a 5mm standard thread size, I disremember the exact. The eyecup for that one at $10.00 wasn't too bad either.
In my limited experience with the Pedersoli sights, I was dismayed to find the different thread sizes. It almost seemed that whatever tap and die set was lying around was the one used for that days run. Of course I am "ASSUMING" that they are made by Pedersoli. Don't see made in RHK stamped anywhere.
Sorry. Didn't mean to get long winded, and certainly not trying to put down Pedersoli products. Given my druthers, I would rather have an original Sharps and Remington Rolling Block. I'd also like to go on an African safari, but that ain't gonna happen either. So I am extremely pleased with what I've got.........Lee:)