PDA

View Full Version : Reloading die plastic cases

eric_2902
11-14-2010, 10:37 PM
I have a handful of die sets with no case. anyone know where i can pick up some empty cases? been looking around the net and cant seem to locate a source.

thanks

Eric

Tom R
11-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Dillon sells them. You might trying to post a wanted add for used ones.

UNIQUEDOT
11-14-2010, 11:00 PM
All current die makers sell empty boxes. I think some of the ammo box makers sell them too.

lgsracer
11-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Multiple Die Set Storage Box

Multiple Die Set Storage Box
Keep your die sets organized with the DB-4-30. The box holds four sets of average size rifle or pistol dies. Space is provided for placement of shell holders and the last round loaded off each set of dies. You can organize dies by manufacturer or by calibers. For your convenience, a label is provided for the inside of the box lid.

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/reloading/reloading-db-4.html

Doc Highwall
11-15-2010, 12:12 AM
You can buy them from places like Midway or Natchez.

noylj
11-15-2010, 12:19 AM
I know you can buy those polystyrene die boxes from Lee. Why, I have no idea.
I like all my dies for a given cartridge to be in one place, so I have individual drawers for them.

abunaitoo
11-15-2010, 03:31 AM
I like the new LEE 4 die box.
The old ones that hinged always broke.
Easy to stack so they take up less space.

jimkim
11-15-2010, 06:36 AM
They have the Lyman die boxes at Midway. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=451010 They're cheaper than the Lee boxes.

1hole
11-16-2010, 11:39 PM
"I know you can buy those ****ty polystyrene die boxes from Lee. Why, I have no idea."

If you mean the round boxes, I do; they were made to hold the dies in Lee's turret heads. Of couse they also make conventional rectangular boxes for their RGB sets. Both seem like a good idea to me.

noylj
11-17-2010, 01:51 AM
No, I meant those rectangular die boxes. The dies never seem to sit in them without undoing your settings and they are a bother, for me, to open and close.
The ones that are hoppers for the old Auto-Disk certainly have a purpose, as you can't screw in and out of polystyrene very long before it just crumbles away and a new hopper is needed. Likewise, even without the turret, the lid on the round ones makes a nice scoop for an 8lb keg of Unique or other odd jobs.
The question is, why keep using polystyrene in applications that the material is simply not designed to handle?

Le Loup Solitaire
11-17-2010, 02:35 AM
A simple solution is the old fashioned wooden cigar box. Has a hinged cover and is generally about 6"X8". Sits flat. A piece of folded cloth or towel...in fact an ordinary washcloth laid on the bottom will work to kep things neat. Arrange the die sets flat on the bottom and cut a few dividers out of cardboard to keep the die sets separated. One box ought to hold 3-5 sets. Two boxes will easily stack. Easy to see into and keep track of things including shell holders. Yellow stickums affix to inside of the lid can hold load data and other info.
Other possible die storage would be one of those inexpensive 5"x 10"-12" plastic tool/fishing gear boxes found in any hardware place. A sheet of plasric or
thin plywood with a bunch of 7/8" holes drilled in it and a couple of wood cleats to act as elevating spacers at each end of it to keep the dies elevated will also do the job neatly. Make a few cardboard rings with the calibers(written) involved to put around the die clusters so you don't have to go squinting around to find the set that you need. Such an arrangement would probably hold several sets of dies. LLS

jcwit
11-17-2010, 04:41 PM
The ones that are hoppers for the old Auto-Disk certainly have a purpose, as you can't screw in and out of polystyrene very long before it just crumbles away and a new hopper is needed.

Simple to fix this problem. Purchase a Auto Pro up-grade kit, end of crumbling hoppers.

Guesser
11-17-2010, 07:13 PM
I purchased a lot of the Lyman die boxes for all my Lee die sets. The Lyman boxes have 4 brackets to hold dies and a spike in the corner to hold a shell holder and were about half the price of RCBS and some less than the new Lee 4 die boxes.