PDA

View Full Version : problem dies

white eagle
11-14-2010, 09:44 PM
just bought a set of 45c/454casull carbide dies from Redding
when I size a case they almost create a belt on the base of the case seems as though they are dragging brass down
any thoughts ??:coffee:

deltaenterprizes
11-14-2010, 09:48 PM
What gun were the cases fired in? Sounds like an oversized chamber.

RobS
11-14-2010, 10:09 PM
You have the die adjusted all the way down to the shell plate I assume and the carbide ring is working the web of the case really hard. Adjust the die up so it stays off the web of the case and you'll be fine. Nothing wrong with what you are doing as you probably followed the directions, but sometimes directions can be filed in the trash can.

Firebricker
11-15-2010, 07:59 AM
I would try Rob's idea first and if that doesn't cure measure a fired case and a resized case to compare diameters with a manual. FB

1hole
11-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Many hand gun cases are said to be "straight-wall" when, in fact, they aren't. Older steel sizers were made with the proper taper for "full lenght" sizing. Carbide dies have to size the full lenght to match whatever the case mouth has to be. The effect is as you find; the lower body and center is greatly reduced. It blows back out when fired and that overworks the body, which leads to early body splits.

Size anyway you wish but keeping it to the minimum amount required for easy chambering will let your cases last much longer.

Char-Gar
11-17-2010, 03:07 PM
1hole has it right... I stull use older steel FL sizing dies for sixgun rounds. The time and mess of case lubing are worth the extra time.