PDA

View Full Version : Master Caster from Magma-?

straightshooter1
10-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Short situation:

Been purchasing cast boolits for several years. Now cost is about $20 per hundred and often plus shipping. Quality has been excellent (thanks, Bullshop, for those 45-70s), but soon I will retire and be on the infamous fixed income.

Starting to get the equipment together to cast my own-30 calibers sized .310 through .312 and 45s sized .459 to start. Got a new Lyman 311284 from a member here on the auction site. No handles, pot, luber etc. yet.

Followed the luber thread and liked the Star, either the new Magma or one of the originals off Ebay.

Saw the Master Caster on Magma's web site and, though it is a ton of $ ($675.00), it looks like on a rainy day I could cast a year's supply of boolits and lube 'em too.

I can afford the outfit now-not so sure I'd spend those bucks after the paycheck shrinks.

Anyone know of a downside to this Master Caster other than the outlay of $?

Bob

LAH
10-07-2006, 09:31 PM
The only downside to the Master Caster is it's speed. It won't cast with a 3 or 4 four cavity moulds running at once. But I have found for the seasoned [read older] caster that the MC is very easy on your body. Just pull the handle. I have two and for 30 cal. rifle bullets and single cavity 45 bullets it won't be to slow.

I can dump my double cavity 38-147-RN mould every 12-13 seconds. With a double cavity 45-270-SAA it 35 seconds. These machines are trouble free and will last forever. I say buy it............Creeker

Lloyd Smale
10-08-2006, 05:24 AM
like lynn said the greatest asset with them is there easy on the body. Running a couple 4 cavity molds is alot faster but holding them up. knocking the spruce and dumping them gets old in a hurry. I dont own one but have used them and there alot easier on the old bod! Another advantaget to them is just pulling the handle takes away all the handling of the mold and lead and would probably be safer for someone like me that has had lead poisoning problems. Down side other then the speed is the cost of converting your molds to work with them. If theyd make an inbetween machine that handled 4 cavity molds id be all over one.

BD
10-08-2006, 08:27 AM
They can be speeded up by adding a second cooling fan, and/or giving the cooling fan(s) a cold outdoor air supply, but even then you're only gonna produce about 800-900 an hour as you still need to add lead to the pot and handle the bullets produced. I have mine set up under a hood with a slot in the table under the machine which drops the boolits onto a leather "ramp" so they roll off to the side into a towel lined drawer. I average about 800 an hour with a two cavity .45acp mold. I can cast this fast using a pair of four cavities and a bottom pour pot, but only for an hour at a time, and it's hectic. With the master caster I come home, turn it on, eat dinner then go out and cast for an hour or two at a steady pace, shut it off and go back in the house. There's no real "set up" to be done, and no real clean up needed at the end. I just spray the molds with a little ed's red if I'm gonna leave it sit idle.
My biggest problem right now is that the machine is in Maine and I'm in SC.
BD

LAH
10-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Here's a small, resized photo. It's one of my MC's which is a little dirty from a run of bullets. Notice the sprue cutter. The bolt holding it goes through the mould from top to bottom and is held with a lock nut from the bottom.

The sprue cutter is opened with a fixed steel rod the cutter contacts. Upon cutting the sprue the mould continues it's travel still coming to a sudden stop which jars the mould halves helping the bullets to dislodge. Very simple machine.

txpete
10-10-2006, 09:43 AM
I have been using my master caster/star lube sizer since 94.it is the real deal:-D .
while it does cost more for the set up I went to some shows peddled off my bullets and paid for the whole deal.now magma has GC moulds also and flat base moulds.
I have had rcbs/lyman moulds converted to use on the m/c.
just make sure your alloy is clean when filling up that 40 lb pot:mrgreen:

pete

straightshooter1
10-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Pete- (or anyone else who knows)

I read about converting other moulds to work w/it. Is that something Magma does or do you buy some parts to do it or...?

I have a new 311284 I want to use and I want to get another mould for 30 cals, too. I've actually had a 459125 for several years, just it's living with a buddy now. I would like to use these moulds if possible.

Bob

LAH
10-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Magma does convert Lyman, RCBS, NEI and probably others moulds to work in the MC. I have some converted by a local machine shop. They did the machining needed and I used extra Magma parts that came in a bunch of stuff I purchased while roaming around New Jersey..........Creeker

txpete
10-10-2006, 09:39 PM
creeker nailed it.I have had lyman and rcbs 2 cav. moulds converted and it works great.
hey creeker its been a while.
pete

LAH
10-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Sure has Pete. They don't let me out to often now days. When does deer season open?

txpete
10-11-2006, 12:33 PM
first weekend of nov.I have the encore zeroed in along with the steyr.I am ready.this year I have a added bonus of wild pigs have moved into my area:-D :-D
pete

LAH
10-12-2006, 09:15 AM
Here piggy, piggy.