PDA

View Full Version : CVA breech plug

OldBob
10-06-2006, 05:19 AM
Any of you ever remove the breech plug on a CVA Hawken replica ? I've been tempted to lap the bore on one of mine using a slug cast on a rod from the breech end, but the CVA booklet says not to attempt to remove the breech plug. Now someone had to put it in there so its gotta come out, question is ... what is the big mystery?? I'm wondering if they used something like Loctite or maybe a shrink fit so thought I'd check a bit before I start twisting on the plug.

R.M.
10-06-2006, 08:42 AM
From what I understand, they can be a real brute to remove. It takes special tools and know-how. Not realy worth the bother. Having it out sure would make your project a lot easier.

R.M.

twotoescharlie
10-06-2006, 08:50 AM
It ain't coming out without being damaged. don't ask me how I know.

TTC

waksupi
10-06-2006, 10:02 AM
I'll have to dig out the diagram of the breech set up one of these days. There is something about the drum/breechplug mounting, that makes home gunsmithing a tough proposition on those rifles. Probably best left undone.
Get some valve grinding compound, some round balls, and patches. Impregnate the patch with the compound, and shoot some light loads, maybe 20 gr. It took about 15 rounds on my Judge Resley barrel to get it to where it wouldn't cut patches.

RugerFan
10-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Bob,
You don't need to remove the breech plug to hand lap a ML bore. PM me your e-mail and I'll send you LBT's ML lap intsructions.

versifier
10-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Breech plugs in new barrels are installed with a 4' long two-handed wrench that kind of looks like an airplane propeller, and it takes A LOT of torque to seat them properly. The fouling that works its way between the threads over years of shooting acts like a super adhesive. You are not going to remove it without damage to the breech plug, barrel, or both. Don't even waste your time trying. As mentioned, you don't need to remove it to lap the bore anyway.

OldBob
10-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Wheew ! Looks like I dodged a bullet.....'er boolit there, glad I asked instead of applying wrench, heat , hammer, etc. Thanks guys.:-D :-D

44man
10-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Don't even think about it! Even new unfired guns can't have the plug removed without extreme damage. I bought one of those TC plug removers years ago and have yet to get one to move. They make a lot of money selling the wrench and then fixing the damaged barrels and plugs.

Bret4207
10-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Jeeze, I musta been lucky. I took out the breech plug on my CVA Big Bore Mtn Rifle after my brother returned wiithout cleaning. I used a 12" Crescent wrench and some heat. Bear in mind this rifle is from the very early 80's or maybe late 70's so the mechanics may have changed.

FWIW-this rifle can SHOOT! I've heard about CVAs so-so rep in the accuracy department, but when even I can find a load that will have 3 out of 5 shots touching at 100 yards I call that good. Maybe it's a lucky barrel, and it's ugly as sin (built from a kit in a hurry by a neanderthal), but it shoots.

Cliff
10-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Some models of the CVA side locks require the removal of the drum and nipple prior to attacking the breech block. Tthe drum abuts or goes into the breech block. Also CVA will void their warranty if the breech plug is removed. Might contact them on that, they may have changed something. They can be removed and hand lapped, I have done it. Use lots of pentatrating oil and let it soak for a day before starting. Good Luck.

Taylor
10-23-2006, 07:25 AM
I found out about the breech plug the hard way, now I will have a barrel that is 3 inches shorter.provided my friend can make a new one.I am open for ideas,comments,suggestions.and all around chastizing,thanks.