PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Lube

bbs70
11-14-2010, 11:30 AM
I've read threads here on lube and thought I'd post this in a new thread so I wouldn't hijack anyones thread.

I shoot a Glock 22 .40 cal (with Aftermarket barrel).
I've owned a Ruger New Vaquero and a Blackhawk both in 45 lc.
Waiting for my 45 lc U.S. Firearms Rodeo to come in.

I've used Alox and it is very messy and smokes.
Bought a used Star and I love it.

I've used White label 50/50 lube.
I've used White label BAC.
When I'm at the range I get comments asking if I'm shooting black powder because of the smoke, which I'm not.
I've used a variety of different powders and powder weights and still get smoke so I doubt if its the powder causing the smoke.

I'm definetly not knocking White label's lubes, they are good and I have experienced NO leading in any of my guns.:bigsmyl2:

But I would like to find something that doesn't smoke so much.
I have just ordered some Carnuba Red and hope it will help.

The 45s were shot at around 800 to 850 fps with a 255g rnfp
850 for the 40 cal. with a tc 175g boolit.

Would a thicker lube make a difference?
Has anyone tried the Magma lube?
I've read that a good lube will still be on the recovered boolit, any truth to this?

Doby45
11-14-2010, 12:15 PM
I use 4gr Bullseye and Carnuba Red in my 5" 1911 will little to no smoke (200gr Mihec round HP). I would say it is no different than jacketed store bought ammo.. Clays is suppose to be just as good in the 45 but I use 3.6gr Clays and Carnuba Red in my 40 with the Mihec 40cal round HP boolit. Little to no smoke.

GabbyM
11-14-2010, 12:38 PM
As advertised. White label 50/50 is Allox / beeswax lube and BAC is half 50/50 half Carnauba Red. Allox smokes.

Get the CR lube and all should be peachy.

geargnasher
11-14-2010, 01:33 PM
All cast boolit lubes smoke to some extent. If I were you, I'd go buy some fffG, make a small batch of Emmert's lube, and load up some of your .45 Colt rounds that way and take them to the range with you. That way, next time some Alpha Hotel complains, you can say "NOW I'm shooting black powder!!!" and they can see the difference.

Personally, I like a little smoke, but if you don't, the carnauba red and light charges of fast powders like Clays and Titegroup help. I can't say that light charges of fast powders ever did much for accuracy or leading in either the .40 or the .45 Colt, and I've shot a bunch of cast in both.

Gear

cajun shooter
11-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Clays and carnuba Red has proven to be the best no smoke combo I found

bbs70
11-15-2010, 08:58 PM
I have used 231, titegroup, clays, hp6, universal, and several other powders.
Some don't smoke as much as others, so the Alox is probably the culprit.
I do have some Carnuba Red on order, just waiting for it to come in.
I hear Lars at White label is a little under the weather, so it might take a while to get here.
I have ordered a heater for my Star and while I was at it I thought I'd try some of Magma's lube to.
We shall see what happens when I get time to load and shoot some.

btroj
11-15-2010, 09:13 PM
The smoke, and smell, from lox is what makes avoid it whenever possible.

I have good luck with carnuba red and can't say I have noticed any smoke.

And as gear suggested, shoot a few rounds with black and they will shut up.

Brad

bbs70
11-15-2010, 10:26 PM
I did buy some black powder several weeks ago.
I had thought about shooting it in my 45 as btroj and geargnasher suggested just to say yes to those who ask.:twisted:
Hell, I might even like it.:Fire:

geargnasher
11-16-2010, 01:09 AM
You just might like it. But trust me on the Emmert's if you try black.

Gear

btroj
11-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Just keep the black powder loads well marked. When I got my Marlin 45-70 I went to the range with some old loads I had for my HR single shot. These were low pressure loads and I needed the brass
Got a big surprise when I shot one. Yep, black powder. Lots of smoke, totally different sound. If it surprised me as the shooter think what it must do to others around you.

Brad

geargnasher
11-16-2010, 04:16 PM
You can solve that problem by never storing loaded BP ammo. As Hygroscopic as the stuff is it isn't a good idea to store loaded ammo for a long time, anyway.

Gear

NuJudge
11-19-2010, 06:36 AM
With any of the Alox lubes, you will get a lot less smoke at higher pressures. With the .357 magnum, full pressure loads do not give me significant smoke. Loads that are .38 Special target load pressures smoke like mad.

ghh3rd
11-19-2010, 06:23 PM
When I first started casting and reloading, I was very anxious to try my new ammo. The only range around me was an indoor range and had a no reloads policy, but I too anxious to try my new ammo, and smuggled some in.

I thought I was going to get busted when the Alox smoke started to drift away from my booth :)