PDA

View Full Version : Yet another newb question. Electric turkey fryers melt lead?

skytex
11-14-2010, 11:25 AM
I've been seeing alot of electric turkey fryers with thanksgiving coming up, and that got me to wondering if they would work to melt down WW/other lead. I haven't gotten a chance to really look at em, but it seems it might be safer than the propane burner. Right now I'm waiting till after thanksgiving to snatch up some great deals on one or two propane ones for my melting purposes, but wondered about these. Anyone got any comments or expierence? :coffeecom

rtracy2001
11-14-2010, 12:07 PM
My guess is no, they won't work. Reason being is that the electric fryers have a thermostat control that measures the teperature of the oil in the pot and keeps it close to the set teperature, but always below about 400* (peanut oil likes to flame up above 400 or so). At any rate, 400* is not hot enough to melt most boolit alloys.

You could use it to melt and form lube.

skytex
11-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Oh well. It was worth a shot.

lwknight
11-15-2010, 08:04 AM
Thermostats can be defeated.
You could bypass the control completely and use your own controller.

Are these the ones with the element inside the pot? I don't think that would work out if its the case.

cajun shooter
11-17-2010, 09:43 AM
I don't think that the heat could be as well regulated as that of a good High Pressure regulator and burner set up. I have been fooling with burners in Louisiana for over 40 years and outdoor cooking was our baby. Does not make me the all out expert by any means but some one with a lot of time in the game.

Mal Paso
11-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Thermostats can be defeated.
You could bypass the control completely and use your own controller.

Are these the ones with the element inside the pot? I don't think that would work out if its the case.

Yes but you may exceed the temperature design limits of the fryer. Possible element damage or worse, structural collapse. I noticed McMaster-Carr had 3 temperature ranges in their Band Heaters. I'm working towards a 6" Electric Pot myself.