PDA

View Full Version : Lee Production Pot IV troubles

MtJerry
10-05-2006, 10:15 PM
My lovely wife bought me a Lee Production Pot IV for my birthday and I used it total of 2 times and now it refuses to get hot enough to melt lead.

I am bummerd.

Should I call Lee or take it back to the place it was purchased?

carpetman
10-05-2006, 10:28 PM
MTJerry---Your wife bought you a pot and it doesn't work. You want to take it back? This could make you look ungrateful. Does it get hot enough to heat water? You could heat water to brew your wife a cup of tea. You could also make a screen so that the grounds wouldnt flow through and brew coffee in it for your wife. On the other hand,she might not be a tea or coffee drinker in which case she would notice you don't use the pot after she bought it for you. So your goal becomes getting one that works. Try the place that sold it first. If no help them go to Lee.

454PB
10-05-2006, 10:29 PM
That surprises me, they are usually trouble free once you learn their quirks. Certainly Lee will stand behind it, but if you are handy, you might put an ohmmeter on it and see if the cord is good, the heating element shows resistance, and maybe check the thermostat. There have been several reports of thermostats needing "tweeking" recently. If you do a search, you can find the post that explains how to tweek it.

montana_charlie
10-06-2006, 12:02 PM
I think your problem stems from the quality of your electricity.

As I understand it, Sand Coulee is on the very end of that power feed. So, all of the electricity that gets to you is old, worn out stuff that has used up most of it's 'oomph' just getting that far down the line.

Here on the east end of the Fairfield Bench we have a similar problem with the irrigation water from the Greenfields system. We get the second-hand stuff that has been in the ditch so long it isn't even as wet as 'new' water.
You can dip out bucketful, throw it out over the driveway, and most of it dries up before hitting the concrete. That's why most of us flood irrigate. Sprinkler systems make pretty rainbows, but the crops underneath stay dry...

By the way, that thread on tweaking a Lee thermostat is here...
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=7204
CM

carpetman
10-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Montana Charlie---I think you no doubt pin pointed the problem--TES--Tired Electron Syndrome. I was not aware of the geography that Sand Coulee is on the end of the power feed. The problem will be compounded if Sand Coulee is at a higher elevation than the power plant---they have to travel uphill all the way. Many think they get a boost along the way as they drop off the pole on the way to the house. This is not so as they don't rejoin the stream. MtJerry-not to worry. I have some electron rejuvinator I can sell you. It's in a spray and easily applied.

montana_charlie
10-06-2006, 04:38 PM
That is an interesting concept, carpetman.

I don't suppose you would have access to some kind of 'wetting agent' that might rejuvenate old, worn out water...would you?
I would need enough (per year) to treat about 87,120 cubic feet (651,703 gallons) so low cost would be an important factor.

CM

carpetman
10-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Montana Charlie---You are in luck. I have dehydrated water. It just takes a small amount. I could send you all you need in an envelope as a matter of fact. All you have to do is add 651,703 gallons of fresh water to the contents of the envelope and problem is solved.

montana_charlie
10-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Yeah? That sounds like the stuff I bought at a store down in Phoenix that specialized in backpacking equipment and supplies. Everything was so lightweight...(How lightweight was it?)...
Everything was so lightweight...I think the whole inventory, both employees, and the cash register wouldn't have totaled over 400 pounds.

I bought enough to last me a week, and headed out into the desert to follow up on a map that was supposed to show the location of the Lost Dutchman mine.

There wasn't a drop of natural water around, so I used 'another liquid' to reconstitute the first package. That one must have gone bad, because it made the foulest tasting coffee you could imagine...and you couldn't drink it any other way. Luckily, my search ended early the next morning...so I just threw the rest of those packets away.

So I think I'll just pass on yours. Without a guarantee of absolute freshness, I'm afraid of how my alfalfa might smell next summer.
CM

omgb
10-06-2006, 08:53 PM
You guys in MT crack me up. You're a whole lot smarter than those boys in NoDak.:mrgreen: My father-in-law lives in Fargo. When I told him I didn't want to return for a visit until spring cause it too dang cold, he told me eveything would be OK cuz he just finished replacing the weather stripping on the stock gate.:roll:

montana_charlie
10-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Maybe he's the guy I met in the checkout line at Home Depot last winter. He was visiting relatives, and decided to pick up some weather stripping to take home.

I had noticed him clomping around the store in one overshoe, so I asked him about it while we were chatting.
Said something about hearing that - in Montana - we never get more than one foot of snow...
CM

MtJerry
10-06-2006, 11:07 PM
You guys are killing me ... :drinks:

I took the pot back to the store my wife bought it at (Scheels) and they exchanged it.

Charlie, next time manage to get past that mound of worn out water in your driveway and make it all the way to the big city, drop me a note. I'd love to have coffee with you and ask a few questions about boolit casting :mrgreen:

Jerry

DLCTEX
10-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Dish washing liquid soap will work, I almost had it calculated to be 135,000 oz. at 1/8 oz. to the gallon, but kept getting distracted by Carpetman's avatar, so can't be sure. I'm a bigger Dallas fan than ever. Maybe I need to get down to a game soon, and take my binos so I can see the game better.:-D

carpetman
10-07-2006, 12:13 AM
Montana Charlie---Arizona has some stuff going for it,but not dehydrated water. You'd come more nearer getting good salsa out of NEW YORK CITY than good dehydrated water out of Arizona. I think it's something about those Suaro or whatever they call the big cactus. Texas would be highly known for it's great dehydrated water except it is a well kept---very well kept secret. But anyways for a fee I can send up the envelope full. You do have to mix it but it mixes easily.

carpetman
10-07-2006, 12:16 AM
dale clawson---I'm a big Dallas Cowboys fan. I had a 52 Ford pickup painted silver gray a royal blue white outlined star on each door. Had a royal blue and white stripe down the middle of the truck. Only been to one live game and that was back in the 80's. Now my late brother was an even bigger fan. What town out there in the panhandle?

DLCTEX
10-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Carpetman: I live at Kelton, east of Wheeler, we're 16 miles north of I 40 and about 4 miles from Oklahoma. I've been a Dallas fan since they started, but almost fell out with them when they fired Tom Landry. My second choice of teams was the oilers during Bum Phillips time there, he was a great southern gentleman. I quit them when Bud Adams, who was not a gentleman, fired him. Dale P.S. I have a nephew in the heating and air business in your town and one attending college there.

carpetman
10-07-2006, 12:01 PM
dale Clawson---My heating and air guy is named Huffman--don't know a lot of others besides him. My wife had kin folk in Childress--not too far from you. I agree,firing Tom Landry was a bad deal. As much as I liked him,he really should have retired when Staubach and Bob Lilly retired. It was probably time to replace him but not the way it was done. He learned about it from tv---not from Jerry Jones. He should have been kept in some capacity---same with Tex. If Tom Landry would have accepted an offer that his way would be paid to any college games he wanted to attend and they would like any feedback he could give on players---it would have been well spent money. One year Wa****a Baptist college had a hot quarterback. Alll the scouts watched him. Tom Landry was shown films. He said he is pretty good,who's the skinny kid making all the tackles? It was Cliff Harris. They got a future all pro--undrafted.

cropcirclewalker
10-07-2006, 12:49 PM
in Montana - we never get more than one foot of snow... I've got a foot, but I don't use it as a rule.

:mrgreen:

Mr. Carpetman, you're a babe!

montana_charlie
10-07-2006, 01:58 PM
I've got a foot, but I don't use it as a rule.
Well, if you don't have short legs, you shouldn't find yourself stepping on it.

To you Texans...
I'm a transplanted denizen of Potter County. The Panhandle is an interesting place for a kid to spend his formative years, and I learned some things that are probably unavailable elsewhere.

Maybe I'll post a story or two in the Humor Forum, someday.

MTJerry...
I will get in touch with you next time I decide to travel further than Vaughn.
BTW...in case you don't know...Big R moved to the old K-Mart building out on 10th Avenue South, and now they have a pretty good-sized gun section.
CM