PDA

View Full Version : new brush for cleaning barrels

inthebeech
11-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Has anyone tried the Tornado style brushes (made by Hoppes) for cleaning your wheel guns? I am specifically referring to their effectiveness on leading.
Ed

felix
11-13-2010, 06:31 PM
They work very good for any gun. The caveat is to make sure the spirals do not wear into sharp edges, and if so, that is the time to use a new one when the gun barrel has quite a few full-bore rounds through them. The steel the spirals are made of is quite soft on purpose, so wear of the spirals is quite fast. New barrels do not have enough heat cracks to worry about for the spirals grabbing onto them, so the spirals can be used when sharpened a little, but only a little. Use these brushes sparingly and only when necessary. Push through, and never pull back. Push through just enough to take out the heavy crud, and no more. No need to go down to squeaky clean. Try and prevent the spirals from seeing any barrel heat cracks, in other words. ... felix

Char-Gar
11-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Take some 000 steel wood and wrap it around a worn brass brush of the proper size until it a tight fit. Put some Kroil on it and have at the barrel. Leading will go away "pretty damn quick, you betcha", without any potential damage to the barrel. It is cheaper to boot.

outdoorfan
11-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Frontier45 works great for that too.

44man
11-14-2010, 04:47 PM
No leading!
Tight patch on a jag when I feel like cleaning which is so seldom I hardly consider doing it.
Cure leading and be done with cleaning! :bigsmyl2:
It really is wonderful to shoot and just put the guns back in the safe. [smilie=s:

mike in co
11-14-2010, 05:49 PM
i'm not a fan of putting a ss brush in a ss bbl.....

mike in co

c3d4b2
11-14-2010, 07:23 PM
+1.....

i'm not a fan of putting a ss brush in a ss bbl.....

44man
11-16-2010, 11:08 AM
I have used them in a shotgun to remove plastic wad junk. I will not use them in my revolvers.
Using an old brush wrapped with 0000 steel wool and spun with a drill will work wonders in a shotgun.
So will Scotch-Brite.
I don't put nothing in rifling that can scratch steel. Cloth or a bore brush is my limit and a brush is rarely needed.

bootsnthejeep
11-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Another vote for the Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner. That stuff is GREAT. No brush can beat that stuff.