PDA

View Full Version : Help Please-Disposing WW Clips & Dross

Hamp54
11-13-2010, 01:18 PM
What do people do about disposing of WW clips & dross? I’m guessing we are suppose to take it to a hazardous waste dump and pay to get rid of it. Do folks have any suggestions that are more cost effective?

Rock
11-13-2010, 02:30 PM
It's lead free steel. It goes into the municipal waste container that is picked up at the curb every week.

Hamp54
11-13-2010, 02:41 PM
That was easy ... pardon the dumb question from a newbie

FISH4BUGS
11-13-2010, 02:47 PM
What do people do about disposing of WW clips & dross? I’m guessing we are suppose to take it to a hazardous waste dump and pay to get rid of it. Do folks have any suggestions that are more cost effective?

........since the clips are steel, and hopefully they are fairly lead free, they just get dumped at the transfer station in the steel recycling bins. I always tell the dump master what they are so he doesn'tr freak out on me while I am dumping them
The dross, on the other hand, is scrap lead as far as I am concerned.

Rock
11-13-2010, 02:53 PM
There is no prohibition on putting lead of any kind into the landfill here in the environmentally nutty place you call California.

I also run my dross back thru a nearly empty pot with a big handfull of dry oak leaves. When I pour the lead out from under that layer all that is left is charcoal which can be disposed of.

D Crockett
11-13-2010, 03:04 PM
if I were you I would save them up and take them to your local recycler and trade them for lead like I do D Crockett

randyrat
11-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Find old metal buckets. Place all your old nuts, bolts, nails any metal scrap including your WW clips and dross. Bring them into a metal scrap yard and they should pay you 10-15 cents per pound. Last time I brought in well over 150 lbs and bought some nice clean pure lead. The trick is to use old metal buckets so you don't have to transfer the metal scrap, nice convenient way to haul your scrap and you don't have to bring dirty buckets home with you.

schutzen
11-14-2010, 11:24 AM
I sell mine to the scrap yard as "contaminated steel". They know what they are getting and I have a receipt that details that.

Mntngoat
11-16-2010, 10:53 AM
hmmm maybe i should be saving that dross I processed some lead last night and ended up with about a lb or two.

Got 7 more buckets of wheel weights to through through there may more thana little scrap contaminated steel.

ML