PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Herter's

Ozark Howler
11-13-2010, 11:54 AM
The Herter's line of reloading tools seemed to have evolved and re-evolved during there existance. I have seen (and owned) two Model's of the Super 3, one has a platform and addtional webbing on the frame, while the othe has neither.

Someone told me that the addition of the platform and webbing was on the later models after 1961. My original Super 3 was purchased by me from Herter's in 1965 while I was in the Army and does not have these newer revisions.

I do have a copy of the original 1965 catalog and it does show the revised model, I think Herter's may have shipped me an older model back then.........maybe I should asked for my money back.......all $12.27

My original ($12.27 purchase) pictured below has been refinished a number times in its career and is rarely used any more. I have to admit though, it still loads as well as any of today's newer single stage presses.

rhbrink
11-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Have you seen the new Herters catalog? got one in the mail a while back just a small "flyer" type rag with mostly duck hunting stuff but had the old Herters logo on it, think it came from Florida.

1hole
11-13-2010, 01:05 PM
"I have to admit though, it still loads as well as any of today's newer single stage presses. "

And that's really the bottom line, isn't it? The only real improvment in later presses was the move to a compound toggle lever linkage. (I once converted a friend's Herter's Mod 3 to a compound linkage just for the challenge of it. Worked so good I converted my old Lyman Spar-T as well!)

I often chuckle at poster's louding touting their favorite press (usually green) for lasting a looong time, as if that's unique! It isn't.

Like Sear's, Herter's sold most everything but didn't make anything. They bought products from good small makers and had their name painted, stamped or cast onto them. No matter, Herter's was our early Lee; both provide a lot of performance at the lowest possible price. Just as with Lee, the other reloading companies hated them for holding down costs. And our price snobs also denigrated Herter's tools and products but they actually worked fine, I'm still using quite a bit of it. I sure miss ol' Geoge L. Herter's company!

Bullshop
11-13-2010, 01:23 PM
New Herters catalog? Please do tell.

Shooter6br
11-13-2010, 01:24 PM
my dads hHerter Super 3 is retired to the attic. I use a green turret press. i keep the Herters .Some day it might be taken out of "mothballs" when needed

rhbrink
11-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Yep everything was the Model Perfect, everything that I bought from them worked just fine, still have a couple sets of dies.

buck1
11-13-2010, 02:41 PM
"i have to admit though, it still loads as well as any of today's newer single stage presses. "

and that's really the bottom line, isn't it? The only real improvment in later presses was the move to a compound toggle lever linkage. (i once converted a friend's herter's mod 3 to a compound linkage just for the challenge of it. Worked so good i converted my old lyman spar-t as well!)

i often chuckle at poster's louding touting their favorite press (usually green) for lasting a looong time, as if that's unique! It isn't.

Like sear's, herter's sold most everything but didn't make anything. They bought products from good small makers and had their name painted, stamped or cast onto them. No matter, herter's was our early lee; both provide a lot of performance at the lowest possible price. Just as with lee, the other reloading companies hated them for holding down costs. And our price snobs also denigrated herter's tools and products but they actually worked fine, i'm still using quite a bit of it. I sure miss ol' geoge l. Herter's company!

pics??!!

Freischütz
11-13-2010, 02:51 PM
The only problem I have is finding decapping pins for the dies

1hole
11-13-2010, 06:09 PM
"pics??!! "

Assume you mean the modified toggle link presses? Guy with the Herter's moved away years ago and I have no pictures of it. Do have a couple of my Spar-T in "My Pictures" but I'm not computer savy enough to know how to post it. Sorry.

"The only problem I have is finding decapping pins for the dies"

LOVE my Lee Universal Decapper!

Char-Gar
11-13-2010, 06:38 PM
When you refinish a press, how do you get the old finish off?

Reverend Recoil
11-13-2010, 07:34 PM
"When you refinish a press, how do you get the old finish off? "

I would try paint stripper first and a stiff wire brush. Wear rubber gloves and safety glasses.

smokemjoe
11-13-2010, 08:04 PM
Mine is still on the bench with my RCBS, super model 3, Cant beat it for heavy case forming.

shaune509
11-13-2010, 08:42 PM
I like and collect Herters items, the salesmanship of George Herter was always a 'sort out the truth' type but most items were good for the price.
in the '90's the then new Herters co had a duck hunting catalog that seemed to contunue the older herters decoys along with some other items, i beleave it was part of Northern tool but might be wrong. the currant offering or use of the Herters name and logo is by Cabelas'
shaune

Pressman
11-13-2010, 08:57 PM
shaune 509 do you have one of these presses??
This one is repainted gray, it should be Herter's brown.

Ozark Howler
11-13-2010, 09:14 PM
"When you refinish a press, how do you get the old finish off? "

I would try paint stripper first and a stiff wire brush. Wear rubber gloves and safety glasses.

Chargar/Reverend,

Sandblasting mostly... using a medium sandblasting media on the painted surfaces and a fine silica media on machined surfaces, items such as rams, clevis pins are hand polished on a lathe.

I would love to get a hold of the old wrinks paint to do a 100% restoration of some of these fine old tools.

Bret4207
11-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Everything was "The HERTERS Model PERFECT, Guide Quality thingamabob...". I almost bid on a Herters aluminum canoe at an auction some years back. That thing was NOT made by Grumman, it must have weighed 250 lbs!

shaune509
11-14-2010, 03:13 PM
pressman, good to see the ARTCA's herter expert checkin. no i don't have any herters press, do have powder drop, some dies, misc tools, fishing tools and a near complete 12ga die set i picked up at a gun show for 15.00 i think it is just missing the priming base.
shaune

Green Frog
11-15-2010, 09:17 AM
pressman, good to see the ARTCA's herter expert checkin. no i don't have any herters press, do have powder drop, some dies, misc tools, fishing tools and a near complete 12ga die set i picked up at a gun show for 15.00 i think it is just missing the priming base.
shaune

+! re pressman's input... I value it highly as well. I have long loved to read through the Herter's descriptions for pure entertainment value, but also found that ordering from them in their later years got me some good solid value as well. :coffee:

To me, a good set of Herter's presses (for using, not necessarily collecting) would include the single stage "Super U," the H-type with two complete stations (shell holders and all) which could be easily adapted to load shot shells, and of course that big old turret press to leave several calibers set up for instant access. They would all have at least one big die station hole to enable use of the larger dies. BTW, I scored a couple of the adapter bushings to step the big holes down to use the little 310 tool dies from Ideal, one in its original box!! :mrgreen:

I found one of the micrometer type case gauges with the spud for 0-1.000" measure. Sure would like to find the other two so I could go 1-2.000" and 2-3.000"! Even though I have the Vega converter, I still like to find original Herter's shell holders when I can too. :coffeecom

Froggie

Papa Jack
11-16-2010, 05:44 AM
When you refinish a press, how do you get the old finish off?

Yep, I used paint stripper, over and over, and over....and some little wire brushes to get into the logos or lettering, along with picks and anything else that will work.
I refinished an old PACIFIC SUPER DELUXE ( which closely resembles the Herters machine above ) Painted light Blue from the factory .
I stripped it, cleaned it real good, smoothed up any rough casting slag, then primed it with Automotive fizz can primer. After it sat for a couple days I started laying on some Rust Oleum Red Metalic enamel , I sprayed 3 coats of paint, let it set again for a few days and applied a couple coats of Johnsons Paste Wax..... That machine was one fine looking press when it was done.
I have refinished several old loading presses, I have a RCBS Rock Chucker right now that really needs a new paint job. The Rust Oleum GREEN metalic should work fine on it. Not a original machinery green like RCBS but I like the Metalic colors, and the smooth finish rather than the crinkle or rough finish that catches dust,dirt and powder and primer residue. The smooth finishes are easy to wipe off and keep clean.
Of Coarse thats just my opinion....
Also if you have any pin holes or areas that need to be filled, you can fill em with a tube of Automotive body filler or glazing putty, sand it down, paint right over it....
Good luck ! Papa Jack

Papa Jack
11-16-2010, 05:51 AM
The Herter's line of reloading tools seemed to have evolved and re-evolved during there existance. I have seen (and owned) two Model's of the Super 3, one has a platform and addtional webbing on the frame, while the othe has neither.

Someone told me that the addition of the platform and webbing was on the later models after 1961. My original Super 3 was purchased by me from Herter's in 1965 while I was in the Army and does not have these newer revisions.

I do have a copy of the original 1965 catalog and it does show the revised model, I think Herter's may have shipped me an older model back then.........maybe I should asked for my money back.......all $12.27

My original ($12.27 purchase) pictured below has been refinished a number times in its career and is rarely used any more. I have to admit though, it still loads as well as any of today's newer single stage presses.

Thats a nice clean looking press, it resembles the PACIFIC SUPER DELUXE press that I refinished.
I didn't like using it, the laid back ram was hard to get the cases to align with the die opening, unless you guided each one with your fingers. I dinged up a lot of case mouths, so after I put the paint job on it I gave it back to the owner. It also did not have compound linkage and part of the primer feed was gone....It was a garage sale find that he had,so I let him have it back... PJ

ipopum
11-26-2010, 11:07 PM
I noticed Freischutz's comment about decapping pins for herter dies. Try a bycycle spoke. I know they come in different sizes but one will be just right.
Pacific was one of the companys that made Herter products.

A old Herter user & still am in fact.

Kevin Rohrer
11-28-2010, 12:42 AM
Chargar/Reverend,

Sandblasting mostly... using a medium sandblasting media on the painted surfaces and a fine silica media on machined surfaces, items such as rams, clevis pins are hand polished on a lathe.

I would love to get a hold of the old wrinks paint to do a 100% restoration of some of these fine old tools.

Someone sent me a link for wrinkle paint and the directions for getting that look. It required oven baking. When I get home tomorrow, I'll find it and post the link here.

shotman
11-28-2010, 01:01 AM
the reason herters used that paint is because geo knew everything about any thing and the paint matched his face. lowes has a bronze paint and if you let it dry and hit light with dark brown would be close match

Freischütz
11-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks ipopum - I never would have thought of a bicycle spokes.

Pressman
11-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Cycle spokes sounds like a great idea. Thanks for making me smarter!!!!
Ken

Kevin Rohrer
11-28-2010, 06:22 PM
And here's the link for wrinkle paint.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraypaintdepot/vht-wrinkle-plus.aspx

Pavogrande
12-01-2010, 06:38 PM
I still use my Herters #3 -- have nearly a full set od shellholders, 30/06, 303br, 222rem dies, herters trimmer, powder scale, and powder measure. The trimmer was kind of flimsy, like a forster but with a sheetmetal frame. I machined a new frame from aluminum stock and it is still going after 50 years.
I restocked a m98 mauser and a 03a3 with a herters stocks, herters glass bedding, and oil finish.
I rebarreled a m98 mauser with a herters replacement 308 barrel.
Herter's was certainly a good value operation and george leonard was a master of words.

Pressman
12-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Sounds like you need to keep an eye out for an ealier version of the trimmer. They used the same base as Forster. The cutter shafts will interchange also.
Ken