PDA

View Full Version : Herters Field Position Match and 1911 Ballistic Challenge Oct-Nov

slughammer
10-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Come one, come all; it's the time of year for some shooting matches! No standardized targets and no entry fees; we shoot for group size and bragging rights. Get your hunting rigs out and get them sighted in for the season; while your at it, send 5 down range and enter the results for the match. Know your limits with your tools of the trade. Prepare for "Buck Fever" by shooting under match pressure. A little bit of something for everyone here.

Herters Field Position Match

If you hunt deer sitting on your butt and shooting off of your legs, then sit on your butt and shoot just like you would in the field. If you stalk slowly and shoot standing, then shoot standing. If you carry shooting sticks, then use them; get the point? Cast boolits of course. (5 rounds)

Mil surp 50 yards Field Position irons
Muzzleloader 50 yards Field Position irons
Rifle 50 yards Field Position scopes or irons
Rifle 100 yards Field Position scopes or irons
Handgun 25 yards Field Position irons
Handgun 50 yards Field Position Scope/Dot or irons
Handgun 100 yards Field Position Scope/Dot or irons

1911 Ballistic Challenge, we all know these devices shoot at 7, 25 and 50. Let's test the equipment and see just how good they are for serious work at 100. If you don't have a 1911, feel free to enter this masochistic event with any other service grade or carry type piece. Extra points for style. (7 rounds)

100 yard standing (stand on your hind two and shoot like a man)
100 yard benched (think of it as using cover; fence post, truck hoods and even shooting benches with sand bags are acceptable).
Pictures of large targets, or your tales of woe are welcome additions to this thread; feel free to tell your Ballistic Challenge story.

Let's try to get them all in the mail by the first week in December. Please report shooting position used along with arm and ammo information.

Send a PM for mailing address. Bribes are welcome and encouraged.

David R
10-05-2006, 08:37 PM
I like it!

I sold my flintlock because every time I shoot it, I have to take a bath with it to get all that stuff out of it, but I am in for all the other matches inlcuding the 45.

David

imashooter2
10-05-2006, 10:06 PM
100 yards offhand with Grampa's old Colt. I wonder how I can hang a tarp...

9.3X62AL
10-09-2006, 12:28 AM
Slughammer--

A question, sir.......if you meant HUNTER'S Field Position Match, then OK. But, if you REALLY meant HERTER'S Field Position Match, the nomeclature is a little lacking. To make it a Herter's-style event, you would need to describe it as the World Famous Water-Repellant Mosquito-Proof Unexcelled Hudson Bay Field Position Match. Must preserve the tone elements, you know.

If you meant HUNTER'S.......well, never mind.

Dale53
10-09-2006, 11:19 PM
And-d-d-d, it "Must be better than need be!!":mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dale53

David R
10-10-2006, 06:04 AM
I shot the 50 yard milsurp sitting on a stool like I do when hunting. Target is in the car, I will post tomorrow.

David

slughammer
10-10-2006, 05:04 PM
...if you REALLY meant HERTER'S Field Position Match, the nomeclature is a little lacking. To make it a Herter's-style event, you would need to describe it as the World Famous Water-Repellant Mosquito-Proof Unexcelled Hudson Bay Field Position Match. Must preserve the tone elements, you know.

Herters it is. You guys feel free to add as much embellishment as is worthy of the title.

I'm just trying to be a salesman and draw some interest over to a shooting thread You guys feel free to add as much embellishment as is worthy of the title. Just remember to shoot some targets and send in the results.

We had a pretty good turn out for the Double Action match. For this match the gun categories are wide open and the shooting positions are of self imposed utility. I'll be sending PM's to anyone who doesn't enter at least one target.

I was at the range today at about 10:30, the sun was directly over the target backer and the glare was hideous. I decided to do some up close practice with the 1911 and leave the Ballistic Challenge for an afternoon time slot

PatMarlin
10-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Dang I wish I had time for these matches. I've got a building to get up before it starts in.. :roll:

There's always next year isn't there?.. [smilie=1:

Sam
10-11-2006, 10:34 PM
You going to get George L., Jacques Jr. and Bertha to present the prizes?

last July I acquired about a half ton of Herters stuff (including 2 401's and a ton of new brass for them). I love their ad copy. Notbhing quite like it.

Sam

imashooter2
10-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Got 200 pieces of Lee 452-228-1R loaded over Clays. Calculations indicate they will fall a touch over 30 inches at 100 yards. Now I just need to schedule a day off and travel to a range where they'll let me shoot a handgun at 100 yards...

slughammer
10-16-2006, 07:22 PM
You going to get George L., Jacques Jr. and Bertha to present the prizes?

last July I acquired about a half ton of Herters stuff (including 2 401's and a ton of new brass for them). I love their ad copy. Notbhing quite like it.

Sam

Sam, welcome to the forum. Hopefully you are enjoying your heavy iron and putting it to good use. Even if just setting it up and giving it to folks to get them started, the old presses keep on ticking.

I went out on Friday and shot a target for the muzzleloader match. 50 yards, seated on my butt, shooting from my legs (typical of the way I hunt deer). Group size is nice, but far from unbeatable. Right now it's anyone's game.

slughammer
10-18-2006, 05:10 PM
I made a quick trip to the range today to shoot at 100 yards. I brought with me a brown USPSA/IPSC target and a little ammo. My current 45 acp load is 4.7gr of WST with a 200gr HG 68 clone and a Winchester large pistol primer. While loading 100 of those the other day I decided to load the last 15 with Lyman 452374. I shot at 11:00 am, so I had a bad glare coming in at me. First 7 rounds were the Lyman 452374, I could hear them hitting. After 7 shots I walked downrange to find my shots all on the cardboard. I walked back and then fired 7 shots with the HG 68 clone, all 7 of those shots went into about 10-12". I took some pictures, but have not had a chance to download from the camera. Aiming point was the head on the USPSA target, I'd guess drop was in the 24" range. Today's shooting was from the bench. I am pleased. I may just try again and use brass of all the same head stamp and vintage.

David R
10-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Looks like better weather this weekend. OUT comes the 45!

Does a 10" contender count as a handgun field position? 100 yards creedmore?

David

slughammer
10-18-2006, 10:37 PM
Does a 10" contender count as a handgun field position? 100 yards creedmore?

David

10" Contender, no problem.

Creedmore, backpack etc, are fine.... its self limiting to whatever you may find yourself doing during the season.

(If you sit in tall grass, the creedmore and backpack may be out, but shooting sticks, walking sticks and the side of a tree would all work fine seated in tall grass.)

slughammer
10-19-2006, 08:31 AM
FIrst 7 rounds at 100.

Load was 4.7 WST and Lyman 452374. Hard blue lube, mixed brass, and Winchester Primer.

slughammer
11-01-2006, 08:41 PM
I shot a few more targets at 100yards with the 1911. First one was to see if the sights needed adjusting because the last outing had the shots going left. I verified the previous impact area of my goups and then adjusted 2 clicks to the right. 5 more shots showed the adjustment was sending shots into the center of the paper. I then fired a 7 shot string and checked the results, I was quite pleased. The picture on the white paper shows 7 shots into 7.5 inches with 6 of them into 4.5.

I couldn't stop there, confidence level was high, I decided to knuckle down and shoot a good one. Plus I wanted a stiffer target with nice cut holes instead of those tears. I hung another target and let the 7 shot volley fly. Took my time with sight allignment, but perhaps grip pressure was inconsistent. I was so thrilled by the 5 gouped together and so sad about the 2 out to the left, I didn't bother to meaure.

Load for both groups was 4.7WST, 200gr HG68 clone, hard blue lube, Winchester primer and a federal case.

Is anyone else going to try getting in on this? I can't have all the fun by myself.

PatMarlin
11-01-2006, 11:42 PM
You shot those groups at 100 with a 45?... :confused:

Ringer
11-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Who could forget "Order One Out !"
Ringer

slughammer
11-02-2006, 06:20 PM
You shot those groups at 100 with a 45?... :confused:

These groups are from the bench, putting the dustcover on my rifle rest. If you don't have a 45, any service grade pistol is acceptable to play with.

I didn't try any standing at 100 yet. Now that I've got a zero, I can break out the bigger paper and give it a try.

Maven
11-06-2006, 05:26 PM
I have two targets fired today to send you.

Maven
11-06-2006, 07:39 PM
All, The weather was just about perfect for a trip to the range today so after cleaning up the leaves & mowing my lawn for the last time this season, I drove out there. I shot the HFP match in the sitting position using my "as issued" K-31 and Lyman #311466 for one target and Lee C309180-R for the other. Both were sized to .309" and seated over 18.5gr. WC 820 + Win LR primers (no fillers). I was quite happy with the results considering that I rarely shoot from anything but a benchrest position.

Sitting position: It's not bad and I had hoped to sit with my back against one of the uprights (telephone pole segment) that supports the roof over our firing line, but I forgot about the sun: We shoot to the ~SW (can't be changed), which isn't good, since the low sun at this time of year is directly on your sights. My first targets were terrible because I couldn't see the rear sight because of the glare. However, there is a rifle rack (no back support though) that is completely shaded by the roof and enough space between 2 of our concrete benches to allow a clear shot at my 50yd. target. By using an old bath mat (bench cover) that I carry with me, I was able to sit on the rack comfortably and actually hit the target.

Btw, I had 17 rounds loaded with the Lee "soupcan" loaded with 15gr. WC 820, which I fired from the same position, but at a single target. The results were impressive! If you happen to have that mold and a K-31, by all means try the combination for it's a good one. I.e., it's one of the better CB's for the K-31.

David R
11-07-2006, 07:11 PM
I went to the range today before the rain arrived. I showed up with 1/2 sheet of plywood the long way. Two guys were there watching me. They said I couldn't shoot a 45 auto that far. I told them I could shoot it, but didn't know how well I could hit.

I shot 5 rounds of 452460 ahead of 3.5 of bullseye, my standard match load. Nothing great, I did get all 5 on the wood about a foot below the target.

I then shot 5 rounds of the same boolit ahead of 6.0 grains of WW 231. All 5 hit the paper! I was amazed and so were the guys there. I had them sign the target.

Both times were two hands off hand with my merrit optical miricle device. Iron sights on the gun.

I then shot one group of 5 shots using the 231 load off the bench. 4 on the paper, and a pretty long verticle string.

That was fun!

David

slughammer
11-07-2006, 08:32 PM
I knew David would get into this. Now that he has fired his first shots of 45acp at 100 yards, I'm sure he's hooked!

Dave, next time out shoot seven shot strings for the Ballistic Challenge. Feel free to post pics and group sizes. Hopefully we can get some more folks interested.

Regards - Slughammer

David R
11-10-2006, 07:03 AM
100 yards standing on my Hind legs holding the gun with 2 hands.

Auto ordinance 1911 clone, Wilsons match grade barrel and bushing, my own trigger job.

452460 sized to .452
LAR45 Lube
6.0 WW 231
CCI LP

The signitures on the right are witnesses.

Seven and five eights inches.

David

robertbank
11-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Jeez, looks like my 25 yard target after a long night. OK colder than the hobbs of hell outside but tomorrow I'll wander down to the range and see if I can hit a target at 100 yards. Off tonite to check my drop tables - like that is going to make a difference.

Take Care

Bob

slughammer
11-14-2006, 06:08 PM
Ok, I shot some standing on my hind two. Load for was 4.7WST, 200gr HG68 clone, hard blue lube, Winchester primer and mixed cases.

Did one target to find my best point of aim and then fired this one. All 7 are into 12" and the best 6 are good for 8".

I ain't no DavidR, but I'm not afraid to try either.

David R
11-15-2006, 07:11 AM
Heddabendeadeverytime!

David

imashooter2
11-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Finally got out to the range and shot some for the HFPM. I was playing with new loads for the 311440 clone GB bullet and have to say the results were generally unsatisfactory. Did manage to get this one target. Shot prone, rifle rested over my shooting bag. 5 shots into 4.05 with 4 of those into 1.86 using my Marlin 30AS. Load was the 311440 clone, cast of range scrap and sized .309 with Ballisticast hard lube over 23.0 of Reloader 7.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/imashooter2/pictures/HPFM_311440-vsm.jpg

Link to larger pic:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/imashooter2/pictures/HFPM_311440-sm.jpg

I still need to get out to a range where they'll let me shoot handgun at 100 yards for the Ballistic Challenge. Hope I can get there before the end of the month...

NVWalt
11-28-2006, 06:45 PM
In keeping with the spirit if this match I went out today to our range in freezing weather and 20 mph winds. Sitting on my butt with two shirts, one jacket and mittens I attempted to shoot targets at 25, 50 and 100 yards. I think shooting at a deer would have been easier. I was shooting my old Dan Wesson 10 inch revolver with open sights. The load was 22 grains of H110 with assorted cases. CCI LP primers and a Lee 429-240-2R plain base bullet cast from range scrap and sized to .230 using Lee ear wax lube. 25 and 50 were ok for my old eyes but it took 5 targets to even get all 5 shots on the printer paper I used for a 100 yard target and I think I was lucky to achieve that. The first target with 5 shots on it and I packed it up and went home. I am sure the Herters would have been very dissapointed at me doing that and not buying a World Famous Premium Goose Down Full Length Hudson Bay Guides Jacket made with only the finest Imported specially bred for Herters Goose down. Proven in the harshest Siberian winter snows by Jauque Herter himself. Anyways I made the deadline and here are the results..Walt

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/NVWalt/HertersFieldMatch112806-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/NVWalt/HertersFieldMatch112806-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/NVWalt/HertersFieldMatch112806.jpg