PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of lathe projects

Jack Stanley
11-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Sometimes I end up with a mold that has a gas check shank that is just a touch big . It sure would be handy if I had a little plate that would fit nicely in the Lube-a-Matic . Something small that I could just put on the nut and center up with the ram .

Since I don't have a lathe , it there anyone on the board that makes a plate like that that will seat .22 , 6.5 , .30 and maybe the pistol calibers . I'm thinking it could be stepped with the 22 in the center and go up from there .

Thanks for any info , Jack

Bullshop
11-13-2010, 12:09 AM
You do know that the RCBS LAM and the Lyman press come with a check seater or am I missing something?

Jack Stanley
11-13-2010, 09:35 PM
When I bought these RCBS lub-a-matics years ago they didn't come with anything . You were expected to seat the check as it was being pushed into the die you provided .

Is this little plate gizmo something they give out with the press now ?

Jack

Bullshop
11-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Its not a plate gizmo its more of a cylinder gizmo with a slot cut in one side. It fits over the depth adjuster and limits the depth at which a boolit can enter the die. It enters very little past the entrance bevel and when it bottoms it seats the check firmly without sizing the boolit.
I have gotten one with each new press either Lyman or RCBS for the last 30 years or so.
Most folks dont know what it is and toss it.

Jack Stanley
11-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Well that sort of explains that . The sizer I bought new was about '77 or '78 and the only thing in the box was the sizer and instructions . I might even have the instructions still I remember seeing them somewhere a couple years ago . The second sizer I found all lonely , scared and shivering on a gun show table so I gave it a good home .

Can you direct me to a picture of this cylinder gizmo ? I may have seen one at a show and not known what it is . Ya know I never thought about running the depth adjuster all the way to the top , I wonder if that would work ?

Thanks , Jack

dbldblu
11-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Go to Midwayusa.com and search for product # 335653.

Jack Stanley
11-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks

Jack

Jack Stanley
11-14-2010, 10:30 PM
It looks simple enough , I'll try and remember to look for one at the next show or order from Midway .

I got down to the dungeon this evening and I thought I'd try to seat some checks without running them into the die . The sizer is full of LBT blue which is pretty stiff in my cold dungeon so that helped keep things stationary . Not the best way to do it I'm sure , but it worked for the few I did .

Jack

geargnasher
11-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Well I'll be darned. A gas check seater. I always wondered what that little gizmo was for, now I know.

Gear

Just Duke
11-15-2010, 09:28 AM
NOE makes one. I have one and it works great.