PDA

View Full Version : loading #8 into 41 mag brass

atom73
11-12-2010, 06:57 PM
I have a 41 mag revolver and was hoping that someone could offer me guidance on loading #8 shot into the brass for use as a snake and critter load. I figure I can use 410 wads cut up as a wadding, but I have no idea what powder and amount to use or how to keep the shot in since I wont be crimping the brass like a shotgun load. Has anyone tried doing something similar?
Mike

scrapcan
11-12-2010, 07:15 PM
You can use a wad as you suggest and you can use a gas check below shot (over powder wad) and a gas check on top (over shot wad) and crimp the top GC inplace. You might could use thick card stock as both wads. Powder charge you might start with 38 or 357 load recipes.

All I have done is 45 acp shotshells using cut down 308 or 7.62x51 military brass. I use the cut down 410 wad and a GC to close on.

joatmon
11-12-2010, 10:18 PM
I also use a check over powder and on top of shot then crimp. I forget the charge though.
Aaron

Old Coot
11-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Atom 73; I would use #9 or smaller shot if possible, weigh the projectile (shot, wad, and gas check or over shot wad) and then figure my charge of 2400 or WW296 accordingly.

The smaller the shot the more you are going to get into that case, and therefore the more chance you have of hitting something.
I would not bother with an over powder wad, as the cut down 410 shot gun wad acts as that.
Use 2400 or 296 because those are the powders most used in the 410.
for an over shot wad or something to hold the whole mess in the case I would use a .41 cal gas check and crimp the case. The cardboard wads I tried to use back in the 60's didn't work well.
You might also try cutting down 410 brass cases, but that is beyond my ken.
Good Luck

Old Coot
11-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Actually, You might do better with a faster powder like Unique. On second thought there probably won't be enough room for a proper charge of 2400 or WD296.
You only need 800 or 900 fps any way.

woody1
11-14-2010, 11:55 PM
Whatever you do, you're going to be limited to very short range. Talking 25-30 FEET here because the rifling spreads shot fast. Snakes, yes but critters only if very close. You need to keep velocity down as Old Coot stated. You'll get better patterns than at higher velocity. I've no experience with your 41 but make and shoot lots of 357's and I use 3.1 grains of Bullseye. I cut my wads out of cardboard (old primer boxes work great). I use two or three over the powder, top with the smallest shot I can find and cover with another cardboard wad usually crimped inplace and then seal with clear fingernail polish I steal from my wife. I also shoot similar 1/3 ounce loads out of a 44 Magnum case in my .410. I use Bullseye there also, 6.2 grains. I've no idea of the velocity but starlings and blackbirds in the backyard don't like it.
Frankly, I don't worry about velocity in such loads but rather penetration sufficient for whatever I'm trying to accomplish.

Frankly if I was trying to load shot in a 41 mag. I'd probly start with about 4 grains of Bullseye (or any other similar speed powder) and adjust for penetration and pattern. There's no doubt it'll be a safe load.
Regards, Woody

cumminsnut76
11-16-2010, 10:56 AM
IF it was me I would just look for a happy middle ground between some 357 shot loads and some 44 mag shot loads. Either way you wont come near a pressure problem and that should give you some place to start with