PDA

View Full Version : FN 49 barrel swap.

looseprojectile
11-12-2010, 04:47 PM
I have an FN 49 8mm that is fairly nice except the bore. The more I clean it the worse it looks.
So I bought the new barrel that SARCO sells. Around $95.00 .
Question; Am I going to be able to change barrels with a couple of lead blocks in a large vice and a large old Ford wrench or should I seek professional help first.
Heck I was a professional once.
I can't find any references to barrel swapping on this gun on the net and am hopeing someone here has done it.

Life is good

looseprojectile
11-16-2010, 03:55 AM
My new barrel came on the brown truck today.
I now have a FN 49 with a pristine bore in 8mm. I will shoot it to see if three thousandths is too much head space.
Piece of cake.

Life is good

jmh54738
11-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Congratulations. When I replaced the barrel on my '49 a decade ago, it resisted all attempts to remove the barrel. I ended up in the lathe, using a parting tool about .015 from the receiver to relieve the tension. I don't remember now, but probably clorate primer corrosion in there also.
John

richbug
11-16-2010, 07:34 PM
My new barrel came on the brown truck today.
I now have a FN 49 with a pristine bore in 8mm. I will shoot it to see if three thousandths is too much head space.
Piece of cake.

Life is good

.003" off of what?

if it is .003 off of a sized case or whatever loaded round you are using, you are golden. I like my FNs .003-.004" over a GO gage.