PDA

View Full Version : problem or not

corey012778
11-11-2010, 11:31 PM
I was smelting down some range lead putting them into ingot molds, one of them I used to mold up some lubes for my muzzleloaders pour the lead in, sizzle.
the lube was made of cresco, murphy's oil soup, olive oil, and 95% alcohol.

am I going to place the ingot in first when I go to cast with it,

think I will have any problems with the lead or just have an flux ready to go?

iron mule
11-11-2010, 11:47 PM
not really sure that i understand what you are asking

did you use the ingot mold to form your lube sticks then after you used it for making lead ingots and the lube residue was still in it causing a sizzle when the hot lead was poured in
if so this would have no effect on the lead and would not be a pre-flux condition

your lube recipe is strange i have never heard of one with that much alcohol in it or any for that matter especially for muzzle loader use

corey012778
11-12-2010, 12:15 AM
sorry, had someother things on my mind (wife called at the time telling me she hit an deer) when I typed the last post, just a little residue. it was my take on an patch lube from another forum. it did not turn out like I wanted it.

fryboy
11-12-2010, 12:19 AM
sizzle and pop , the only problem mite be if there is moisture underneath the layer/film of lube , i'd pre-warm the mold and then perhaps pour 1/4 ingots slow first , should be rock n roll after that ( if i understood the question right ) as for pre-fluxed ...doubt it if any at all it will smoke off as the melt comes up to temp so u just mite get a lil nuisance smoke

umm i agree about the off recipe but i took it to mean that u used 95% alcohol vs. say 70 % ( the percentage being the alcohol purity vs. mixture of in the mix ) but if it works for you that's what counts !!

lwknight
11-12-2010, 12:27 AM
The fuglies will just melt. No problems at all as long as you start them in an unmelted pot.
Worst thing is your friends seeing your ugly ingots before you remelt them.

corey012778
11-12-2010, 12:44 AM
sizzle and pop , the only problem mite be if there is moisture underneath the layer/film of lube , i'd pre-warm the mold and then perhaps pour 1/4 ingots slow first , should be rock n roll after that ( if i understood the question right ) as for pre-fluxed ...doubt it if any at all it will smoke off as the melt comes up to temp so u just mite get a lil nuisance smoke

umm i agree about the off recipe but i took it to mean that u used 95% alcohol vs. say 70 % ( the percentage being the alcohol purity vs. mixture of in the mix ) but if it works for you that's what counts !!

that is what I meant. 91% not 95% (maybe thinking of something else right now lol) alcohol purity, use it in cleaning to evaporate the moisture. and clean between shots.

shooterchris
11-12-2010, 01:08 AM
The leftover lube will not give you a sufficient flux, as previously stated just a little smoke. As far as the lead...if you have problems with it, it will probably have more to do with the unknown content of the range lead. I have put lubed bullets that upon final inspection turned out to be cullls, back in the pot and not had any problems.

GP100man
11-12-2010, 09:49 AM
I`d put that ingot in a cold pot !!!

Anything that can expand when heated under molten lead will send a tinsel fairy knocking !!!

shooterchris
11-12-2010, 07:58 PM
I burned myself pretty bad when I first started casting. I keep a torch at the casting station to eliminate any possible moisture before I introduce anything cool into the pot.