PDA

View Full Version : '98 Mauser bottom metal, maybe?

Otony
11-11-2010, 11:20 PM
I needed (need?) a complete set of bottom metal for a.270 '98 sporter I recently picked up. I didn't want to spend a whole lot as I got the barreled action minus stock and bottom metal for a $100 (hee-hee)! There is a sporterized GEW98 stock in the odds 'n ends pile, so I wanted to see just how inexpensively I could build up a complete rifle for.

As usual my penchant for a bargain may have ended up biting me in the a$$.

I found a set of metal on GB, and bought it for 20 bucks that has yet to arrive. It was advertised as WWI Imperial German bottom metal but I now think (uh-oh) I may have bought something intended for a '93, '95, or Swede. The front of the trigger bow looks unlike the '98s I am familiar with.

Can anyone ID this from the pics?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=198739481

Ben
11-12-2010, 12:10 AM
It may very well fit a 98' Mauser ? ? I've seen a lot of 98' Mausers, I don't remember the bow on the bottom metal looking like that on any that I've seen ?

The shape of the trigger guard bow looks more like a Swedish Mauser.

Let us know if it fits.............

waksupi
11-12-2010, 02:40 AM
There are probably 50 variations of Mausers. I suspect you have what you wanted, though.

220swiftfn
11-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Usually the GEW 98 had a stacking loop in front of the triggerguard, but that was usually the first thing to go if somebody sported it....

Dan

Sanchez
11-20-2010, 01:24 AM
Otony,
That's a small-ring TG.

By the proofs, it's native to a K98az, aka: the WW1 engineer carbine.
Not compatible w/ a 98 action

richbug
11-20-2010, 11:28 AM
I have a bunch of bottom metal here for Mausers. I can likely hook you up reasonably. PM me your screw spacing and how long the opening in the bottom of your action is.

Otony
11-20-2010, 06:43 PM
I have a bunch of bottom metal here for Mausers. I can likely hook you up reasonably. PM me your screw spacing and how long the opening in the bottom of your action is.

Will do sir, but it may take me a week or two. I am in retail and things are just jumping right about now......

Otony
01-09-2011, 10:29 PM
OK, this part I "won" arrived and it fits my commercial action very well. I like the look of the trigger bow, and it is very clean considering the WWI age.

HOWEVER!

I have replaced the cocking shroud on this rifle with a military shroud so as to allow for the use of an original flag safety (this is to be a peep sighted rifle).

The original commercial trigger is adjustable, and has a side safety incorporated, so it was deep sixed in favor of an FN commercial trigger which lashed into place and functioned just fine. The FN trigger is essentially a G.I. trigger w/o the second stage.

Here is where I ran into problems. The small ring 98 bottom metal seems to need a trigger that sits much further forward than this FN trigger. There is no physical way the trigger can sit in the guard without occupying the same space as the rear of the bow.

I recall seeing a few Mauser triggers where the part within the stock "zigged" forward at about a 45 degree angle before the actual trigger "zagged" down to meet the guard. Hopefully that all together muddy explanation made some sense.

I can cut this trigger apart and weld it back together in the proper shape to allow the use of the guard I have, but I wonder if someone out there has the correct style of trigger available for me, or can direct me to a place to obtain one. What exactly do I need to avoid cutting this up?

Thanks in advance to anyone who understands what I am on about.....