PDA

View Full Version : roto metals antimomial lead 4-6%

acsteve
11-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Is this just their version of WW lead? It is described as 4-6% antimony and the balance lead.

leadman
11-11-2010, 08:20 PM
I would think the hardball would be closer to WW with the tin it has.

fryboy
11-11-2010, 08:45 PM
often ww's have a small bit of tin .... this doesnt , but with the addition of 2% tin it does approximate the hardball alloy , it seems to me that the ww's i have found lately have 3-4% antimony in them , lasc. suggest 2-3% so cut it 50/50 with soft lead and add 1/2 to 1 % tin to make ww's . oh and a skosh of arsenic , i use a bit of lead shot instead of soft lead for that plus it adds a lil antimony as well

No_1
11-11-2010, 08:50 PM
The guy I get my lead from buys in huge quantities from the foundry. He specified the equivalent of WW's and they provided lead with 4-6% antimony. I have had no problems getting complete fill out at 800 degrees without the addition of tin.

lwknight
11-11-2010, 10:21 PM
I can cast at 640 degres and get a complete fill and cast faster than anyone that casts at 800 degrees because my molds stay cooler.

dicko
11-13-2010, 02:51 PM
I can cast at 640 degres and get a complete fill and cast faster than anyone that casts at 800 degrees because my molds stay cooler.

I confirm that. I also confirm that 6% antimonial alloy casts perfectly without tin. Tin is for easier fillout, but adds very little hardness. As 6% antimony fills out perfectly there is no need for tin.

But I take strong issue with 800F. Lead does not fume at normal casting temperature, but it does at 900. As lead fumes are odourless and colourless and thus undetectable, and lead poisoning accumulates in the body, it is bad news. 800 is getting high enough to be worrisome.

Casting so far above melt, the sprue takes so long to set up, that you can brew the coffee while you wait. It dramatically slows production for those who need a lot of bullets. I cast at 600 and even that is too hot for bigger calibres.

As a commercial caster I have to get zero defect with big volumes. I mention that to head off arguments, but I reckon I'll get 'em anyway. I've had enough argument to know that 99% of guys will cling to doubtful methods before they'll check out good advice.

lwknight
11-13-2010, 09:53 PM
I think there will always be those who believe that lead has to be about cherry red hot to cast with. We will never dispel the misnomer completely.