PDA

View Full Version : Gustafs 1908

WayBeau
11-11-2010, 12:22 PM
I have a Swedish 6.5x55 that is stamped Carl Gustafs Stad Gevarsfaktori 1908. It is in very good condition and shoots very well.

My question is:

I would like to use it for hunting but due to the overall length of the rifle it makes it very cumbersome to carry in the woods. Am I a fool to even consider modifying it in order to make it shorter overall? Knowing what I know about modifying firearms (i.e. absolutely nothing) I'm not sure if it's even possible. Beside the possibility and subsequent cost, I'm nervous about making a huge mistake in modifying it and am wondering if I should just leave it alone.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions/slaps to the face to set me straight.:veryconfu

waksupi
11-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Welcome aboard.

There are plenty M38 Swedes around, no need to cut that one down. You may be able to work a trade with a board member here. The Swedes shoot too well to be cutting them down. Considering how they are going up in price, you would probably take a couple hundred bucks off the value.
I've carried the long Swedes here in the mountains, and didn't find them all that inconvenient to carry.

BD
11-11-2010, 02:45 PM
At one time the Swedes were plentiful and cheap here in the states. No longer. I certainly wouldn't cut down a good one, as they can bring $350 - $400 these days. My truck gun is a M96 cut down to 22". I bought it for $100 with the last 2 inches of barrel ruined by over zealous cleaning and a cracked wrist. Cut down to 22" with a scout scope and epoxy pillar bedded into a $39 Ramline stock it has served me very well.

It's kinda ugly, but I took my biggest whitetail to date with it, and shot my best ever group off the bench with it, so I'm not complaining.

You should preserve that old swede for cast boolit shootin' . Waksupi has a side of a barn he might let you use as a target, it's already been broken in :)

BD

WayBeau
11-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the input. Y'all have me convinced. I'll be leaving it alone. With the little amount that I can actually get out and shoot, I kind of lost my mind and started to wonder if I should modify it instead of buying a deer rifle. I enjoy the rifle, but it's too cumbersome where I hunt. I need something that's a little shorter.

PAT303
11-11-2010, 06:58 PM
In Australia cut down mil surps are a dime a dozen,original untouched models go for big dollars.If you cut it up you'll regret it. Pat

Uncle Grinch
11-11-2010, 10:57 PM
I agree, you should be able to pick up a sporterized Swede, if you look around. If 6.5x55 is your goal, then search for any other bolt gun in that caliber, or try having one built from a surplus 98 action.
Hang on to your original milsurp.

Dutchman
11-13-2010, 05:59 AM
I would like to use it for hunting but due to the overall length of the rifle it makes it very cumbersome to carry in the woods.

Dan'l Boone did it. So can you. Think of the m/96 as an elegant slim rifle that can shoot the eye out of a turkey at 50 paces (no kidding it really can!). The long rifles have an ambiance that defies words. Spend some time with yours. Shoot it first and if you don't like it sell it and buy something else.

Dutch

WayBeau
11-13-2010, 08:24 AM
I know how well it shoots and I love it. That's the only reason I HAVEN'T sold it. Let's just say that I had a momentary lapse in judgment the other day when I talked of cutting it down. I like the idea of finding an old action and simply building one myself. That might become my next project. Can anyone point me in a good direction to find the necessary items (I know where to get an action).

Von Dingo
11-13-2010, 03:21 PM
E.R. Shaw can get you a good tube going, and do everything but the stock for a very reasonable price. Google away.

Dutchman
11-13-2010, 07:50 PM
I know how well it shoots and I love it. That's the only reason I HAVEN'T sold it. Let's just say that I had a momentary lapse in judgment the other day when I talked of cutting it down. I like the idea of finding an old action and simply building one myself. That might become my next project. Can anyone point me in a good direction to find the necessary items (I know where to get an action).

When you say "old action" what does that mean?

The more prudent (and wise) soul would use only a 98 Mauser action as it's the best, strongest and best GAS ESCAPE FEATURES.

It's true there have been many fine sporting rifles built on everything from a 1891 Argentine, 1893 Spanish, 1895 Chilean and 1896 Swedes. There is nothing (except smoothness) that the pre-98 actions can do better than a 98. Beef is better and the 98 action has the beef.

Dutch - just IMO :)

WayBeau
11-13-2010, 08:11 PM
When I said "old", I meant a 96 or 98 action.

If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm very wet behind the ears when it comes to these things. That being said, any feedback/suggestions that you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I went to E.R. Shaw and they seem to have a lot of good stuff that might useful. I was also able to find a barrel for the 6.5x55.

Here's my first question, should the action I buy have a trigger with it or is that something that I would want to get separately. Like I said, I'm wet behind the ears and don't really know anything, so I could use all the help I can get.

Thanks

Dutchman
11-14-2010, 03:35 AM
You should use only a 98 action. The type from a torn down K98k is perfect. Also commonly found are 1908 Brazilian and 1909 Argentine. The Turkish 98 actions are fine for building an inexpensive rifle, too. Was a time when you could buy a complete Turk 98 for $40. Lots of guys bought them up for just the actions.

Yugo 98 actions are shorter, intermediate length, and take different bolts and different stocks. I'd avoid them for that reason alone.

A trigger for a 98 is a minor thing. I've used Dayton triggers in the Swedish Mauser because they require less wood be removed. The Timney are excellent as well. Triggers really aren't a biggy so don't dwell on them. You need a good action with trigger guard and floorplate assembly all together, a complete action and not just a receiver that you have to pile parts on ($$$).

Belgian FN, German, Czech 98 actions are primo. South American made in Brazil and Argentina are also fine though you probably won't find them as numerous as German & Czech. Czech actions are most excellent as far as metallurgy and strength so don't shy away from them. The Vz24 and 98/22 are fine examples of Czech 98 military rifles. Lots of Vz24 were imported that were rather worn and good only for tearing down. Late war 1944-45 K98k actions should be avoided. Poor quality control. Neat collectibles. Not so neat to build on.

The Yugo'fied, de-nazi'fied K98k. The German markings were removed and commie Yugo markings applied. Excellent candidate for messing around. I installed this Leupold set up this last summer on mine. No guilt :). I have a Chilean 1912 action and Czech 98/22 that are going to get messed with, too. The good rifles I don't mess with.

http://images12.fotki.com/v200/photos/4/28344/8945429/DSCF2003p-vi.jpg

Lots of good info here for what you're interested in.
http://www.gswagner.com/

Take your time. Be patient. ha ha ha:). Yeah, I wasn't either.

Dutch
http://dutchman.rebooty.com/
Swedish Mausers & rolling blocks

Von Dingo
11-14-2010, 09:53 AM
FWIW, as long as you are going to build a 6.6X55, one of the Yugo actions would work as well, since they are so available. Just specify when you order parts, as the action is a large ring, but about the same length as a small ring Mauser.