PDA

View Full Version : American Gunsmithing Institute

Tazman1602
11-11-2010, 09:18 AM
Just wondering if any of you here have experience with any of AGI's DVD courses and if so, what you thought of them.

I'm qualified on *most* bolt action rifle designs, a few semi-autos, and have been trained to build 1911A1's although it's been a few years since I've done one of those.

I'd like to do some work on my NM Vaquero, have the Kuhnhausen book on them, but it would be really helpful I think to actually watch a guy take them down and put them back together on video before I just tear into mine. I'd like to reduce trigger pull a bit without paying $250 for Power Customs complete kit although it's a NICE kit and they respond very quickly to my questions.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Art

Jack Stanley
11-11-2010, 08:32 PM
I only saw two videos about Garands and while they were done well enough and presented the material in a way you coul understand it . They could have done it just as well without the fellas bias against the Garand being added into it .

After seeing those two about the Garand I didn't want anymore to do with AGI thinking that the rest of them would be more of the same against whatever gun you were trying to learn about .

Jack

shotman
11-11-2010, 09:24 PM
I am a member and have SEVERAL tapes you will like them BUT you need your own little tv with a remote so you can stop and reverse. Dunlap does a good job but is a little fast and dont tell sometimes the LITTLE things couple other dont too dont think they mean to but happens i bought a sale 13in tv with the tape player{ yea I old} and its on shelf in corner of reloading room
also works for the XXX rated tapes when the reloading get boreing

ItZaLLgooD
11-11-2010, 10:24 PM
I saw an ad for these the other day. I am curious about the cost. Are they expensive??

HeavyMetal
11-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Years ago I bought the AGI video on the Browning Hi Power.

The guy "starring" in the video did the company more harm than good!

The only guns worth owning were Remington bolt actions, everything else was just junk.

Why would you waste time on surplus pistols?

But the real turn off for me, because I work with Haz Mat Waste disposal all day, was the statement that you could use Simple Green as a cleaning agent and then just dump it down the drain because it would no longer be hazadous!

This was stated in the video after the "star" cleaned the HP barrel and frame and literally had chunks of lead in the collection tray!

The box the video came in promised gunsmithing tricks, trouble shooting and repairs.

It also promised Customizing, accurizing and tuning!

None, I repeat, None of these topics were covered!

The "hero" of the video was one Robert Dunlap. To be completely honest I was turned off by the video and wouldn't let Mister Dunlap change a tire on a Yugo!

I set here typing this and have the video and the box sitting next to me so I can copy the promises, that were never kept, off the box itself.

For anyone wanting an example of where not to spend your money this tape is your for the cost of small flat rate box postage!

This stupid video set me back 30 bucks in 1995 dollars, guess how much that would be today?

If I can keep one guy from wasting his money with the jerks at AGI I will feel the money was well spent!

waksupi
11-12-2010, 02:45 AM
I believe if you have the Kuhnhausen book, it should be all you need.

S.R.Custom
11-12-2010, 07:23 PM
I believe if you have the Kuhnhausen book, it should be all you need.

I haven't looked lately, but does Ruger still have the assembly/disassembly videos on their website?

Von Dingo
11-13-2010, 12:03 PM
The videos on the Ruger site are still there.