PDA

View Full Version : Toilet wax ring and Crisco mix

Moore
11-11-2010, 01:54 AM
I seen this in another thread and they talked about doing a 50/50 mix. Would you do it by weight or volume? I can see if it works it would be a good cheap alternative to commercial lube.

zxcvbob
11-11-2010, 02:14 AM
It won't matter; it's not a precise measure and they should be about the same density. Good luck. :)

Moore
11-11-2010, 09:38 AM
I'll give it a try, Thanks

Hardcast416taylor
11-11-2010, 11:54 AM
I only hope you realise that the wax ring for toilets isn`t beeswax.Robert

swheeler
11-11-2010, 12:05 PM
I tried this a few years back at a members sugestion, toilet ring anyways, don't remember other ingredients may have been Crisco. As I remember it formed hard fouling near chamber of my inline, hard enough I couldn't seat bullet after a couple shots. I ended up thowing it out with the trash.

DIRT Farmer
11-11-2010, 12:59 PM
It works well for shotgun wads, I have fired over 100 rds in a day using it. I also use it on mini bullets, but it is soft and gooy. In a rifle, I have used it for patch lube when I did not have deer or mutton tallow. I don't load anything heavy except the 40 silly wet gun, generaly one grain per caliber, ie 50 grains in a 50 cal.

Tag
11-11-2010, 02:28 PM
I only hope you realise that the wax ring for toilets isn`t beeswax.Robert

the ones I have seen say they are bees wax

Moore
11-11-2010, 06:08 PM
So if I find ones that are bees wax that would be ok then? I just don't want to screw up my 586.

shotman
11-11-2010, 06:24 PM
dont fire them near anyone will smell like burger king fries

Springfield
11-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Have you ever replaced a toilet? If so then you know that a a pure beeswax toilet ring would be far too hard and brittle. It has other stuff in there, who knows what it is. I just replaced one of mine and the ring didn't look anything like the beeswax I have bought from any vendor.

swheeler
11-11-2010, 08:19 PM
The one I used smelled like gun grease, so I'm guessing petro based.

fryboy
11-11-2010, 08:37 PM
the current theory is that most of them manufactured of late are made with "slack wax" which is whatever they can manufacture them the cheapest for , i do believe in some ways it still does work for a lube , it works in pearl lube ( but at 1/3 ratio ) and will work in smokeless lubes , there may be old stock or some small company's offering out on the sales floor somewhere , if the label states beeswax then it should be at the minimum a mix with beeswax ( truth in advertising and all that ), i seem to recall replacing a few old ones that were beeswax and also finding cloth rope/mesh type gaskets inside the wax ring

firefly1957
11-12-2010, 11:24 AM
The last Toilet ring I bought did not look or smelled like beeswax but it sure smelled better than the one it replaced !!!

Freightman
11-14-2010, 07:32 PM
At $0.99 at WalMart I bet it isn't bees wax to cheap>

Pirate69
11-25-2010, 07:17 AM
I posted this in a different thread earlier. I have used a 50/50 mixture of the petroleum based toilet rings and canning wax. I add just enough STP to get the consistency that I want. Ususally about 3-4 ounces. Fairly hard at home temp and melts around 135F. For my limited use, it seems OK. But I am only a rookie.

Timbo
11-25-2010, 08:38 AM
For the most part these "wax" rings are a grease, a very sticky silicone base I think. You can look up the MSDS (Manufacturer's Safety Data sheet). If I'm contemplating using an over-the-plumbing/auto parts/Home Depot-counter product for a bullet lube, I always look up the MSDS first. It at lease gives you an idea of what you may be facing after you pull the trigger.

I have always stayed away from Petrol based products. Real Bees-wax and olive oil have worked for me for decades. Hot soapy water, a couple of patches and I'm good to go.

Regards,
Timbo

cajun shooter
11-26-2010, 11:29 AM
The rings were made of beeswax at one time but as everything else the process was made cheaper. Look in the sticky section at LASC for several lube receipes.

mdi
11-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Has anyone looked up the MSDS on a toilet ring? I'm sure it would tell what the ring is made of...

mold maker
11-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Each producer has their own formula. You will have to include a name brand to get their MSDS.

fredj338
11-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Not for decades now. They are some kind of petro product, way stickier/softer than BW. Mixed w/ parrafin & BW, it could be treated like Vaseline. ANyone that has seen BW would know the current manuf ones are nothing of the sort.

mdi
11-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Each producer has their own formula. You will have to include a name brand to get their MSDS.
Yep, but I don't have a ring on hand. Pretty sure there isn't a "generic" toilet ring, or a "standard" contents for them...

John in PA
01-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Dittos on the Olive oil and beeswax for a black powder lube. Works as a dip lube, or pour into the lubrisizer. I make mine up 50/50 by volume. If I have some vitamin E capsules handy, I poke a few with a pin and squeeze the oil into the lube. Vitamin E is an oil-soluble antioxidant. I add it as a preservative for the lube.

The lube is soft enough for cold weather and stiff enough for hot weather. Keeps fouling soft.

Real Bees-wax and olive oil have worked for me for decades. Hot soapy water, a couple of patches and I'm good to go.

Regards,
Timbo

Jim
01-03-2011, 06:30 PM

With all due respect, I'd like to see documentation from the MFGR. on that.

fryboy
01-03-2011, 08:52 PM
could be old old stock , none of the new ones i have seen had so stated but most companies do offer a online msds

softpoint
01-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Prolly not good to melt used potty rings and put in yer Crisco......:bigsmyl2:

garym1a2
01-03-2011, 10:10 PM
I made up a lube of one toliet ring, one pound of parafin wax, one can of Johnson paste wax, add 4 oz of lees Alox and a dab of lanolin. It did not work wells as a lube but it makes a great flux for melting wheel weights. I notice the rings in Walmart and Ace do not say whats in them.