PDA

View Full Version : older Projector powder drop manual

cheese1566
11-11-2010, 01:14 AM
Anybody have a copy of the user guide/manual for the older Hornady ProJector auto powder drop assembly? This would be the "always on" powder drop activated by the ram on every stroke. (Not the newer case activated style.)

I just received one and think I have it installed correctly and adjusted. I just like to have the material for my equipment books and to make sure it s set right.

It is not in my Projector/Pro7 materials and not found on the Hornady web page.

.pdf or photocopy OK.

BD
11-11-2010, 02:22 PM
I don't have the manual, but I do use the system. The simple rod goes down through the center of the top of the press with the cupped end up, and the slip/jam washer set so it doesn't fall out when the ram is all the way down. The plate goes around the base of the powder measure with the tab and small hole aligned so the spring is directly under the powder measure arm. The op rod is ball end down in the cup of the simple rod and attached to the powder measure operating arm with the other end of the spring looped over the little attaching bolt.

I'll try and remember to take a picture tonight after work.

BD

Hardcast416taylor
11-11-2010, 02:42 PM
When I had one of these I was loading a great many .38 wc loads. Over a years time I actually wore out the aluminum center hole bushing on this unit. I made another center bushing out of heavy duty nylon and it lasted quite a while longer. A bit of some sort of lube on the rod may prolong it from wearing out the aluminum bushing.Robert

Dan Cash
11-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Anybody have a copy of the user guide/manual for the older Hornady ProJector auto powder drop assembly? This would be the "always on" powder drop activated by the ram on every stroke. (Not the newer case activated style.)

I just received one and think I have it installed correctly and adjusted. I just like to have the material for my equipment books and to make sure it s set right.

It is not in my Projector/Pro7 materials and not found on the Hornady web page.

.pdf or photocopy OK.

The use of an instruction manual or acquisition therof is unmanly and danged near un American. Don't need no steenking destructions.

BD
11-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Here's pics of the old style powder drop rod on my press. I actually prefer this to the case actuated drop because it is simpler, although you do have to remember to move the rod off until there's a case at the drop station. I use white grease on the rod where it passes through the bushing, and in the cup at the top of the lower rod. I don't know how many rounds have been loaded on this rig as I bought it used. I know I've pulled the handle something over 75,000 times. There are some reliability mods you can do to make these crank right along. I've posted them before, let me know if you need more info.

BD

cheese1566
11-14-2010, 03:56 PM
The slip ring on my bottom rod was worn. I am going to upgrade it to a 5/16" shaft collar with a setscrew, but have settled for a tight fitting rubber grommet for now. Seems to work good for now (until it rots or stretches.)

I had it assembled just like your pics and tests out pretty good.

Mike0904
11-24-2010, 01:37 AM
Cheese I have a Operation manual for the press and the powder drop..........guess I hoarded it when I sold both my machines.... ya still need want one ? I will have a scaned copy for you if so.

Edited: The buyer of my old machines has contacted me and I feel he should get the original manual

jager1313
02-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Hey everyone, I saw that this forum seems like the best place for old Hornady Pro-jector users. I just bought one, and it is my first reloading piece of equipment so I am still setting up and learning a lot.

I was searching posts and saw this old thread. I too would be interested in some instructions for the Ram Activated Powder Drop. The old Pro 7 turned Pro-jector press I bought came with a bunch of misc pieces so I am still working to puzzle everything together.

Below is a picture of everything I have related to the powder drop. I believe I actually have pieces to both the old style Ram Drop and the newer case activated drop. Can someone point out the pieces I am missing or email me a scanned BOM? Much appreciated!

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc65/jager1313_photos/20130210_150240_zps3249ba27.jpg

300winmag
02-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Here is a link to Hornady's web site.
http://www.hornady.com/support/downloads/users-manuals/discontinued

cheese1566
02-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Pics for jager1313...

jager1313
02-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the reply cheese, that helps shows me exactly the part i am looking for.

I looked in the Hornady discontinued website, i can not find this ram style powder measure. Does anyone know what the name of it is? or if there was a parts diagram/ manual for this thing?

Also any suggestions on getting the case kicker to not bind up and bend the hell out of itself...

Thanks for the help!