PDA

View Full Version : Stevens model 200

Jack Stanley
11-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Other than the trigger that is heavy enough to lift the rifle without setting it off it isn't a bad little rifle . But seriously now , how to I back off the pull weight on this trigger ? There is a tiny set screw on the very back part I believe may have to do with engagement .... speaking of which it has a bit much of travel before letoff .

Anybody done this themselves safely ? Since it doesn't look like the old Remington 700 triggers I'm used to I thought I'd ask . I'd be real happy with a four or five Pound letoff that breaks clean , not looking for a trigger that releases at a couple ounces .

Jack

SCOTT ARTHUR
11-11-2010, 02:07 AM
Jack,
This is the instructions I used on my son's Stevens 200 with GREAT results!

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Savage110Trigger.asp

Scott Arthur

Jack Stanley
11-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks Scott , I read that article and if I understand it correctly the screw behind the trigger is for weight . I've learned how to live with rifles with long engagements before so that may not be a big problem for me . Later today I may have the time to look at the weight problem again .

Jack

Mk42gunner
11-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Jack,

I have adjusted the trigger on a few Model 110 Savages. Make absolutely sure the safety still works after any adjustment, sometimes it gets real touchy.

Robert

Pb2au
11-11-2010, 04:29 PM
I have been tuning in my 200 for a bit. I can say with confidence that this rifle is ALOT of gun for the money. I have it down to below .750" group at 100 yards. Granted, this is not with cast, yet, but I couldn't be happier.
The only thing I could throw a rock at was the parting lines on the synthetic stock were a little sharp, but some fine sandpaper sorted that out.
Oh, mine is chambered in 30-06. Current load is a 165 Hornady SST pushed by 47 grains of IMR 4064.

The trigger is the last thing on the to do list. I agree its a bit sluggish.

hornsurgeon
11-11-2010, 08:36 PM
savage, stevens, and marlin seem to be the absolute best rifles out of the box for the money. a little homely maybe, but deffinately shooters.

Jack Stanley
11-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Well , I got after it today and didn't mess with the engagement screw at all . Last night I had cleaned off the factory grunge that was in the area and put just a touch of lubriplate and worked it back and forth . While it made it feel better it didn't do a thing for my trigger scale which showed it still off the scale .

Today I had it out of the stock and found the screw with the little "V" notches in it . I turned it out one notch and tried the scale , still well above seventy-two ounces , one more turn and it surprised me when it went at just over sixty-four ounces . While the rifle was cocked (and unloaded) and still out of the stock I tapped the reciever with a non marking hammer to see if it would go and it didn't . I'll take that as a sign it's safe to use it out on the range and pay attention to it . I'll make sure to sheck the safety tomorrow .

It still has a bit of creep but I think I'll leave that alone for now because it's still better than some surplus rifles I use . I still need to get the bore smoothed up enough for cast and getting used to the cheap scope may take some doing . The scope is marginally better than iron sights so I guess I won't squawk to loud . For the price I paid , I'd say I am happy with it and it seems like a good value . One thing still puzzles me though ............. if Savage can make these and let them be sold for what they are , then why on earth can't they make the 219 with a 32-20 barrel for any price ?? Yeah .... I know ... life ain't fair :coffee:

Jack

Three44s
11-12-2010, 02:03 AM
After I bought my first Savage, I registered on this site:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php

Once there I discovered their paid membership costing $12 per year and signed up for that .....

A paid membership allows one to access the member classifieds along with member articles. I most highly recommend this.

With respect to your trigger issues, you can buy or on the above web site get for free enough music wire to do 3-4 rifles with .041" spring and that will give you a trigger pull range more to your liking.

I have yet to find a question about Savage products that can't be addressed at Savage shooters.

Enjoy!

Three 44s

milboltnut
11-12-2010, 07:36 PM
It's really simple.... buy a snap cap and adjust until you are comfortable or you said you had a scale.

There's an over travel screw you can adjust too.

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/savage110trigger.html

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/savage/

or better yet this is what I used....
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,19414.0.html

Jack Stanley
11-12-2010, 10:10 PM
I took the rifle out this morning and put a hundred rounds downrange with it . Safety works , Rifle won't fire when bolt is slammed home , Rifle still has the creep and I'm sure some overtravel but I was able to shoot some decent groups with cast at thirty-plus yards . Not fast stuff , just some gallery loads .

Thanks for the links , I'm not about to put a stone to the sear but perhaps the other adjustments will come in handy . I think I'll shoot it a bit more and let it wear in a bit before I do anything else .

Jack

milboltnut
11-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Shooting it more ain't gonna change the pull weight. The overtravel adjustment is a must. Over Anticipation is a factor with the trigger pull and that will effect your POA.

Jack Stanley
11-13-2010, 09:31 PM
This trigger has the safety adjustment screw but if I remember right it does not have the overtravel adjustment .

Jack

roverboy
11-14-2010, 08:32 PM
A friend of mine has one of these in .270 and says the only problem was the trigger and he adjusted it. Good rifles for the money.

44magLeo
12-06-2010, 01:26 AM
I just recently bought one in 270 Winchester.
I thought the trigger a bit heavy, I turned the set screw on the spring out two turns. Pulled much better. I don't have a very good gauge to measure the pull. My fish scale reads 3 lbs 6 ozs.