PDA

View Full Version : Mihec mould sprue plate handle bolt

UnderDawgAl
11-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Looks like the bolt for the sprue plate handle on my new Mihec mould doesn't quite work well with the Lee mould handles. EIther the bolt head is too thick or the shaft that is between the bolt head and threaded section is too long. When the sprue plate handle is attached, the sprue plate cannot be completely closed because the bolt doesn't clear the Lee handles.

Is this a common occurrence with Mihec moulds and Lee handles?

Doby45
11-11-2010, 12:56 AM
I have four Mihec molds on Lee 6 cavity handles. No problems.

Dale53
11-11-2010, 01:50 AM
UnderDawgAl;
Is it possible that you have the bolt upside down? I am away from my shop, so cannot look at mine at this time (I'm just guessing). However, if re-installing the bolt doesn't work, let me know with a PM, I'll take a look and see if I can see what the problem may be.

I have several MiHec moulds and have never had a problem using Lee Handles.

However, I must say that I have just recently received two pairs of MiHec's handles and MAN! are they nice (and very reasonable for the quality, too)!

By the way - if you have the means to take a picture of the "problem", that would help immensely.

Dale53

Triggerhappy
11-11-2010, 02:34 AM
I've got probably 15+ Miha Cramer molds and haven't had that problem. On some of his early molds the allen head bolt head stuck up slightly which had to be ground down a little. Not the same problem you're having. Are you sure you actually have Lee 6 Cavity mold handles and not a different size?

Dale's right, a pic would probably help clear it up.

TH

UnderDawgAl
11-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks, guys, for your responses. The thread below describes the situation better than I did, as well as a solution. Apparently, Mihec has used different bolts at different times.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=86048&highlight=bolt+scribe+handle

Cord
11-12-2010, 12:52 PM
On the left is a Lee, on the right is my MP 6 Cavity mould
as modified in the post that was linked to above.

I don’t think I described the fix very well,
if you need more details let me know.

I think the bolts are roughly the same size;
the difference appears to be in the thickness of the parts used,
especially the MP handle plate which is .35 thick as opposed
to the Lee which is .55 thick.

Once that excess shank is removed, the MP works just fine.

UnderDawgAl
11-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Cord, it was your post on that thread that helped me. Thanks so much for that. While I don't have the technical skill that you apparently have, I was able to file down the diameter of the excess length on the shank. I performed the redneck version of your handiwork. Here's how I did it:
(1) Closely eyeball the amount of the shank that needed to be turned down. Eyeball it a second time.
(2) Chuck the bolt in the drill press (a 64-year-old bench-top Delta press).
(3) Jerry-rig a platform to hold the file level at the appropriate spot on the bolt shank
(4) Turn on the press, file a bit, check, file a bit more, check, etc.

Success!

Thanks much for your post on that other thread.

MiHec
11-15-2010, 08:27 AM
I hope this picture will help

Pepe Ray
11-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Boy oh boy it just goes to show you how miscommunication can cause so much friction.
"How so?' you say.
Well I must do everything reverse from other guys. Probably blame it on my French Nana.
First, I installed my Mehic with the hinge on 'tother end. There's NO interference with bolts and handles in that position. However I did find interference with the strike fetching up on the handle hinge bolt . Seems I needed to remove and reinstall the handles bolt head up/nut down to allow clearance to swing the sprue plate. That was an easy fix. Oh well, carry on.

So you see when I read the OP I was already on the wrong page and w/o pictures I was thinking naughty things. Patience is a wonderful virtue.

Thanks for the OP,BTW, I'll be more aware of how people can do things differently.
Pepe Ray