PDA

View Full Version : cleaning tar from lead

XIT
11-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Hi Guys

I sure hope this question is not too stupid but with the horror stories I have heard with tar gumming up a smelting pot I thought I would ask if anyone has a good way of getting tar off of a roofing boot.

I wondered about using a torch and burning it off or perhaps a wire wheel would scrape it off.

I have a nice pure lead boot but it is fairly full of tar in spots that has been there for forty years.

Thanks [smilie=f

RayinNH
11-10-2010, 09:17 PM
I just use the smelting pot. I does make a mess though. Just burn out the pot after smelting. Using a torch would get rid of some of the tar but would also melt the lead...Ray

lwknight
11-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Tar makes the worlds best flux. It will melt and smoke without burning while your lead melts. Then it will ball and crud up all over the pot and your tools.
Just skim it off and toss it. The little bit left on the sides of the pot will eventually burn off.
You just canot ruin a smelting pot.

fryboy
11-10-2010, 10:02 PM
cold temps and hammer/hatchet blows will chunk alot of it off the rest will burn

Bob Krack
11-20-2010, 09:31 PM
cold temps and hammer/hatchet blows will chunk alot of it off the rest will burnAbsolutely!

bubbadawg59
11-21-2010, 05:18 PM
a soak in a five gallon bucket with a couple gallons gas .stored outside of course . and make darn sure all the gas evaporites before you smelt it . im sure some wont approve of this but i know gas will take tar of preaty easy.

Mark Daiute
11-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Never, ever an issue for me. I just smelt the lead, the tar burns away, I skim off the ash.

JJC
11-21-2010, 08:10 PM
a soak in a five gallon bucket with a couple gallons gas .stored outside of course . and make darn sure all the gas evaporites before you smelt it . im sure some wont approve of this but i know gas will take tar of preaty easy.

That's what I would do.