PDA

View Full Version : Pewter

white eagle
11-10-2010, 08:53 PM
OK now that you guys got me looking for pewter how can I tell for sure that I do indeed have the real McCoy ?
Is it stamped pewter ? [smilie=s:

jsizemore
11-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Since your just starting, Yes.

fryboy
11-10-2010, 09:30 PM
stamped or cast in place , once you get the hang of it it's alot easier , one of the hardest ingots i got was from fine new england pewter , btw ? i ingot stuff separately just in case i missed something

mold maker
11-10-2010, 10:16 PM
If it isn't marked PEWTER without any other added word, I wont buy it. Quite often on another line it will include the mfg name, but PEWTER must be separate. I bought several unmarked pieces and when subjected to Muriatic acid they (ZINC) bubbled like a shook up Coke.
I always ask if I can return the item, and at hone, use a very small hypo needle to put a very small droplet of acid in an obscure place. Have running water and baking soda on hand to stop the reaction or take care of misuse.
Pewter will not react other than a slight darkening that wipes right off. Zinc will react immediately.

littlejack
11-10-2010, 10:22 PM
we:
Also, there has been on "some" of the pewter that I have collected, a 93%, 95%, or a 97%
either in the proof stamp or very close to it, which is the % of tin. It will be easier for you to
identify the more of it you look at and handle. It also bends very, very easily.
Jack

Charlie Two Tracks
11-10-2010, 10:22 PM
I picked up some pewter at two different flea markets this summer. The people said that it was pewter for sure. I found out at home that it was zinc. I am only getting stuff that is stamped until I can tell for myself what is pewter and what is not.