PDA

View Full Version : Why do I keep picking up 38 Spl brass at the range?

UnderDawgAl
11-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Every time I go to the range, I scavenge spent brass. Without fail, I'll pick up every single decent 38 Spl brass case, yet I'll bypass semi-auto brass, even though I have much more 38 brass at the house than brass in any other caliber. I particularly like the shiny nickel-plated brass, despite its shorter lifespan.

Anybody else do the same?

shooterchris
11-10-2010, 03:36 PM
OCD! :kidding:

Digger
11-10-2010, 03:48 PM
OCD! :kidding:

Yeah ! , "O"fficial "C"aliber "D"istortion ! ....[smilie=b:...:bigsmyl2:
or maybe should have said "D"istraction ?

Frosty Boolit
11-10-2010, 04:11 PM
I've never seen rimmed brass at my range.

Wally
11-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Because it is there and I can make good use of it...

9.3X62AL
11-10-2010, 04:43 PM
This is a good sign. For the last couple years, spent centerfire brass lying on the ground has been largely non-existent at my local range site. As primers and other components seem to be getting more plentiful, maybe spent brass will start multiplying again.

Of course, 250 Savage and 9.3 x 62 aren't real common anyway. But I digress. Back to the Reloading Garret, and more 223 Rem refills.

casterofboolits
11-10-2010, 05:48 PM
There are aa bunch of people out there who shoot, but do not reload. So they let the brass lie. Being a brass rat, I pick it all up! If I can't use, perhaps a friend does or I can trade for what I use.

A Friend has been picking up brass at his local club and I sorted out several 5 gal buckets for him. Everything from 5.7 to 50 S&W.

UnderDawgAl
11-10-2010, 06:04 PM
I used to pick up everything. After I collected a pile of .45 ACP, 9mm, and .40 S&W (two of which I have no guns for), I quit grabbing those. However, I still pick up .38, the occasional.357, the rare 44 Magnum, 380 Auto, .32 ACP, and .32 Long, and the even rarer 10mm and 45 Colt.

Once I get home, I clean it, sort it, drop it in the appropriate boxes, and move on. I've given away quite a bit of the .40 and .45 brass to buddies whom I taught to reload.

Scrap brass prices ought to be up, if current spot copper prices are any indicator. Perhaps I can trade some of this stuff for lead down at the scrap metal yard.

robertsm53
11-10-2010, 06:09 PM
I collected enough 40 cal loose range brass to justify a new pistol.

Baron von Trollwhack
11-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Some fellow ran a concealed carry class, specified factory loads, ran participants in & out, and they planned to use gold dot ammo. BvT

FISH4BUGS
11-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Every time I go to the range, I scavenge spent brass. Without fail, I'll pick up every single decent 38 Spl brass case, yet I'll bypass semi-auto brass, even though I have much more 38 brass at the house than brass in any other caliber. I particularly like the shiny nickel-plated brass, despite its shorter lifespan.

I pick up everything but 22 rimfire. If I made my own jacketed 22 cal bullets, i would pick up the 22 cases.I scrounge brass for calibers I don't even shoot. Berdan is left behind.
I have 3 gallon buckets that whipped eggs come in (the bagel joint uses them for sandwiches) and I get their buckets with lids. I must have 30 or 35 of them. I have every caliber marked and sort the brass and put it into a bucket marked for that caliber. I use it for trading material if I don't need them.
It is part of the deal. Scrounging brass and lead, sorting, smelting, making ingots, casting, resize and lubing, reloading, shooting, scrounging and sorting brass and lead, and on and on.
That is why the call it a HOBBY. Nice cold winter day, fire up the heater, turn on the radio, and sort brass, trim brass, cast, size, etc. and all the other stuff that makes up the hobby.
This may be a shock to you.......you are NORMAL.

blaser.306
11-10-2010, 07:07 PM
I pick up everything but 22 rimfire. If I made my own jacketed 22 cal bullets, i would pick up the 22 cases.I scrounge brass for calibers I don't even shoot. Berdan is left behind.
I have 3 gallon buckets that whipped eggs come in (the bagel joint uses them for sandwiches) and I get their buckets with lids. I must have 30 or 35 of them. I have every caliber marked and sort the brass and put it into a bucket marked for that caliber. I use it for trading material if I don't need them.
It is part of the deal. Scrounging brass and lead, sorting, smelting, making ingots, casting, resize and lubing, reloading, shooting, scrounging and sorting brass and lead, and on and on.
That is why the call it a HOBBY. Nice cold winter day, fire up the heater, turn on the radio, and sort brass, trim brass, cast, size, etc. and all the other stuff that makes up the hobby.
This may be a shock to you.......you are NORMAL.

Define "normal":):):)

BCB
11-10-2010, 07:29 PM

I do the same thing, sort of. Except, I pick everything up that is reloadable!!!

I think there might be some crow (the bird) genetics in my blood--gotta have that shiny stuff!...

BCB

Freightman
11-10-2010, 07:29 PM
I pick up all brass as even 22's will bring $ at the scrap yard!

RKJ
11-10-2010, 09:37 PM
My buddy thinks I'm crazy as I spend more time scrounging for brass than I do shooting. Of course I also mine the berm for lead. I also pick up everything but .22 RF, somebody might need it.

sargenv
11-10-2010, 10:51 PM
I have to resist picking up every piece of shiny brass I see.. I hardly have the room now and before I started the 9 into 40 S&W process, I used to just let 9mm lay... not anymore.. gotta pick up every piece!! My action range has a lot of shooters who shoot 9 major, so they load o/f once and leave it.. I am more than happy to pick it up and use it "just one more time".. :)

RobS
11-10-2010, 11:32 PM
It's good to see brass lying around and I too am seeing it a bit more now as some of the prices are coming back down and the shelves are restocking. I usually on pickup the calibers that I shoot, but if there is enough on the ground of the others I'll pick them up too and give them to others who can reload it.

Combat Diver
11-11-2010, 02:22 AM
I also pick up all reusable brass when I'm on public ranges if left behind. I've always pick up brass wheter I'm going to keep it or throw it away. Its in grained in me to not litter (pack it in, pack it out) and from my Army days of clearing ranges.

Triggerhappy
11-11-2010, 02:38 AM
Dame Bramage, many of us have it...

The Shootist
11-11-2010, 06:03 AM
One of my first orders of business when I go to my range, is to check out all of the trash cans, and brass buckets.
I always take home a handfull or two of 9mm brass.
My best haul to date was going to the range on the same day the Police Dept. was qualifying officers using M-4 carbines. The officer in charge told me if I wanted the fired brass, help myself. I went home with a 5 gal. bucket about 3/4 full of once fired Lake City 5.56mm brass. That was a good day.

NickSS
11-11-2010, 06:39 AM
I have been a brass scrounger for years. At my club we have brass buckets for people not keeping their brass to dump theirs into. Our range officers make sure they police up their empties. About once a week or so I take a five gallon pail of it home with me and sort out. I keep the stuff I reload, bag up good once fired brass that I do not reload and take it to the club meetings for give away, and the rest goes into my scrap bucket (or garbage can if steel cased). About once a month or so I take a bucket of scrap brass to the metal salvage place and last month I got $28 for my effort.

bob208
11-12-2010, 07:39 AM
i pick all brass . the case is the most expensive part of the ammo.

Ken77539
11-12-2010, 09:09 AM
The last time I was at my local range, they would only allow you to police up your own brass. But you had to inform the range hands of your intentions. During cease fires, while you're downrange, they have someone sweeping up along the firing line. Makes for a very clean range, but sux for scavenging. They say they have a 'contract with a guy' for the brass, but judging from the numerous garbage cans full of spent brass I've seen in their shed, my guess is the city won't let them give it away because of liability concerns - just my opinion.

Ken77539
11-12-2010, 09:34 AM
I do have an indoor range not too far from where I work who sells their range brass. They sell it for whatever the current scrap value is at the time. Last time out, I picked up 2 5-gal buckets of assorted brass for about $30. Kept me busy (hand) sorting for weeks. Never have to buy another 9mm or .223 round again, got enough .40's to almost justify buying a new gun, and now have a nice supply of 'trading stock' on hand.

BOOM BOOM
11-13-2010, 08:44 PM
HI,
I scrounge brass always. But there is a lot of competition now a days.
I started as a kid, guns & anything to do w/ them were cool.
when I was on my own, started shooting in collage, 1967- GLORY DAYS OF NO COMPETITION, I picked up 1,000 of 38, & 30/06 which i used, picked up 7mm mag, 357, by the hundreds, used them all.
With my wife ,kids, & brothers most all found brass has a home.

GOPHER SLAYER
11-13-2010, 10:52 PM
At the range Buckshot and I go to, no one picks up brass but the two of us. There is so much 5.56 and 9mm brass lying around you have to kick it out of the way to get good footing. It seems fewer people are reloading these days. The people we talk to about it seem to think it is some sort of mysterious black art.

DIRT Farmer
11-14-2010, 12:34 AM
The only thing I find is steel Russian empties, although I did find 30 + 45 Colt brass and I have always wanted one. I also have a mould. Brass, mould, yeah it's time.

zxcvbob
11-14-2010, 12:42 AM
I leave most 9mm, .40, and .45 brass on the ground because I have plenty already. Unless I'm shooting 9mm that day. Give the other scroungers a chance. I do pick up .380's and anything with a rim -- but I don't find too many of either of those. And if I pick up a 9mm thinking it's a .380, I keep it.

I've started scrounging lead instead of brass.

home in oz
11-14-2010, 01:12 AM
Dont see brass much.

lylejb
11-14-2010, 01:54 AM
It's kind of a treasure hunt.

A while ago, my son and I were at our usual shooting place up in the hills, and I noticed some 45 brass, that I can use. So we grabed two plastic sacks and started cleaning up.

Soon, my son asked "what's this?" it was a 7.62x39.

then a .380,

then a .40

then a 9mm,

then a 30-30

He had a blast with this spur of the moment scavenger hunt, looking for how many calibers could we find, calibers he'd never seen before, ect.

missionary5155
11-14-2010, 04:41 AM
Good morning
Sure do... well when I am up north there in Illinois. And when I get a box full I sell it and have some more gas money...