PDA

View Full Version : Scope mount screw removal

Geraldo
11-10-2010, 08:46 AM
I'm taking an old set of silhouette sights off a TC Contender barrel and I found that whoever put them on used Loctite. Three came out with just a screwdriver and a strong arm, but one is really stuck. I could drill the head off the screw, but then what?

So before I really booger it up, I'm looking for help...

old turtle
11-10-2010, 09:01 AM
You can us a sharp tipped soldering iron to heat the screw. Loctite will soften with heat. If you have some Kroil you may want to try that. But if you do use Kroil make sure it is removed before using the soldering iron. I would try the soldering iron first.

nicholst55
11-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Don't overlook using an impact driver - the kind that you insert the correct size screwdriver bit into, and then smack with a hammer. You'll still want to heat the screw to soften the loctite, I would think. These things are wroth their weight in money, that's for sure!

Impact Driver (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7932/Product/IMPACT_DRIVER)

deltaenterprizes
11-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Avoid drilling the head off, I did it thinking there would be enough to grab and there was not! I had to drill out the old screw and retap the receiver using the base as a temlpate. Heating will soften the loctite, the soldering iron is a good start.
Is it a slot, Allen or Torx head?

akajun
11-11-2010, 12:45 PM
First clean the old screws and holes and re install the old screws, tightly. This will ease the pressure off the stuck screw. Also instead of kroil, mix some ATF and acetone 50/50 and use that as a penetrating oil. Acetone will help disolve the locktite. Then, as said before use mild heat and a good screwdriver. If it still gives you trouble use the B square screw jack or an impact driver.

Wally
11-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Heat the screw with a hair dryer--it will get the metal hot enough to melt the locktite & not hurt the temper of the metal...I know it sounds goofy, but it will work.

Char-Gar
11-14-2010, 03:23 PM
YOu can take a screwdriver and heat the tip on the kitchen stove. While it is hot, stick it in the screw slot and let the heat transmit. After about 30 second, try turning the screw, it will come out.

Geraldo
11-15-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the replies. I couldn't get heat to work, so I went with what I knew, which was drilling the top off. After that I grabbed the nub of the screw with needle nose pliers and turned it right out. But again, thanks, it's another thing to think of when this happens next.

:drinks: