PDA

View Full Version : Are the grips on the (New Model) Vaqueros aluminum?

2ndAmendmentNut
11-10-2010, 08:22 AM
I have a NM in 45colt which I really like, but am just curious as to what the grip is made out of. I personally can’t tell a difference from the SS finish on the frame compared to the grip, just curious if they are the same metal. A guy I ran into at the range insisted that all NM Rugers have aluminum grips, which I know not to be true, but anyways if some one could help set me straight it would be appreciated.

white eagle
11-10-2010, 10:34 AM
I just had a issue with my NM Black-hawk and yes the grip frames were indeed aluminum
not sure if your Vaquero is but the Black-hawk definitely was

Dale53
11-10-2010, 02:24 PM
The stainless steel guns have stainless steel grip frames. The BlackHawk blued guns have aluminum grip frames. The 50th Anniversary Flattops have steel grips frames even tho' they are blued steel. The .44 Lipsey Special has steel grip frames even tho' they are blued.

Confusing, huh?!

Dale53

2ndAmendmentNut
11-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Confusing, huh?!

Yeah very… So basically SS guns are all steel, but blued guns are a maybe…

Dale53
11-11-2010, 01:18 AM
Yeah very… So basically SS guns are all steel, but blued guns are a maybe…

That's pretty much it! If you have a blued Ruger SA in your hands, you can easily check with a magnet.

There are advantages to both aluminum and steel. Aluminum is about 8 oz. lighter. Steel wears better and when the blue DOES wear, it doesn't look "tacky" (I think worn aluminum looks "tacky" but that's just me). The extra weight of steel reduces felt recoil, too.

In the end, "you pays your money and makes your choice".

Dale53

Combat Diver
11-11-2010, 02:14 AM
The Super Blackhawks also have steel frames.