PDA

View Full Version : Bees wax

bushwack
11-10-2010, 01:11 AM
I know where I can get some bees wax for 3$ a pound, the lady I was talking to said they bought it from a candle company that was going out of business. So it has a wick in it, is a bees wax candle pure bees wax??? not haveing made a lot of lube.Whats a Good guesstamation using felix lube, how many pounds of bees wax would I use if I have 1200lbs of lead? I'm just looking for a ball park figure from you guys who have casted for many years.

Thanks, Bushwack

randyrat
11-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Go for it, but they are not pure beeswax.
It's very tough to get a pure beeswax candle to burn unless you have a HUGE wick. Usually they mix soy wax, oil of some sort, something a little easier to burn in BW candles and call them beeswax candles.
It's not like food where you have to list ingredients.
Give them a try with a small amount before you ruin a big batch of lube.

bushwack
11-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks Randy ,I think I will buy just 1 lb to try.

fryboy
11-10-2010, 01:03 PM
as randy stated ..who knows what all could be in there , the catholic church calls for at least 50% beeswax IIRC ( some percentage anyways ) as the beewsax leaves less soot , saeco green is a 50/50 beeswax and paraffin base .... it could have been mixed or it could be pure , it also may or may not have a wick unless it was bought as candles , i've drooled over huge slabs of refined beeswax that weighed appox 10#'s each and were stacked 4 feet high , they make candles from the honeycomb sheets by just rolling one around a wick , usually a mix is harder than pure beeswax at room temp. and more flexible
as for 1200 pounds of lead ..lolz umm that kind of question will beg the correct info first ..namely how many lube grooves and said volumetric capacity of them ( yes all the lube grooves added together divided by .... ) ? you're gonna need lots ;)

Dan Cash
11-10-2010, 05:54 PM
5 pounds of lube will lubricate a boat load of bullets. Start with 5# and when it is used up, make some more. Saves storage.

smoked turkey
11-11-2010, 02:28 AM
I have been extremely happy with my bee's wax from randyrat. I was considering going the wax ring route and decided to go first class for a change with the real stuff and I am very glad I did. I made up a batch and have pan lubed muzzleloader boolits a few times and it works like a charm.