PDA

View Full Version : New barrel

DIRT Farmer
11-09-2010, 11:10 PM
I ordered a new/ used barrel from GPC for the #4mk1 Savage and got it on today. I had scrubed the goo off and out, cleaned copper and thought I had it clean. It is a 2 grouve and the throat is tighter than the barrel I pulled the muzzle is clean and sharp. It mesures 303/ 3155 in the throat, push through and muzzle mesure 302/3145.
I had some loads left from previous expirments, some I knew the load, some were just shooters. I shot at 25 yards to find my way on paper with the sights. I have changed the flip sight 300/600 yd, GPC sent me a #5 sight fit perfect. The first load 20.5 of IMR4227 10 rounds, first five 2.5 inches off hand. I moved the front sight fired the next 5, 4 in 1 inch, one out 3 inches. I called a slight pull, might have been that bad. Two rounds possigaly IMR 4064 with wheat bran, Starting for jax, both touching. All were loaded with Lyman 311-291 PP with 20# copier paper dry wraped, touch of M/L lube.
I fired 5 rounds of 311284 over 3031 that my other 303 likes, two in the marker, three in the key hole. 5 rds of mil-surp hxp ball went in about 1.25 inch and straight
It looks like this one will work. Now to load and shoot more. Thanks guys and Thanks to Fireball for tips on how to get the barrel off easy.

docone31
11-10-2010, 09:25 AM
The barrel I got was great also.
I suspect it had never been fired. Direct drop in, headspaced better than the original.
So far, I have 10 reloads on my cases with paper. No seperation at all.

Milsurp Junkie
11-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Either one of you want to sell the takeoff barrel? I am looking for a .303 barrel to make a 32 S&W barrel insert for a shotgun.
Don't really care about the chamber, as it will be cut off, and I can always recrown the muzzle where there is good rifling.

docone31
11-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Sorry, my barrel is long gone.
The original had a rusted bullet stuck half way down the bore. The rifleing came out in flakes.
It was indeed toast.

DIRT Farmer
11-10-2010, 08:46 PM
As for me one of the things that inspired me to change barrels was the 32 rim fire thread. I hope I can salvage the middle of the barrel. Gun Parts Corp. has short barrels from sporter take off cheeper than a full length barrel.

docone 31, this barrel is very generous at the back of the chamber, if it shoots well enough, I am thinking of having one turn taken off and rechambered.
When I pick up some more IMR4350 I will be trying full power loads. I fired 18 today, 20.5 of 4227 offhand decent group, there is still a dark area in the middle of the barrel. Another round of bore cleaner tonight. Cleaning and PP is shining it up.