PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a 1911-Thoughts and inputs

cumminsnut76
11-08-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm looking to buy an economically priced 1911 45acp pretty soon. Wanting to stick towards a new one and it will either have adjustable sights or I will be putting them on. I am wanting something economical (approx $650 or less) Something that is easy to get parts for ie. something that almost all aftermarket parts will fit. And finally a good quality product that is not a piece of junk that will be a *** out of the box. The reason for the interchangeable parts is that I may one day put on a different barrel and also dad has a government model colt that he also has the colt 22lr conversion kit that I would like to be able to place on this gun... Please give me any and all thoughts on this and also a good place to get one.
Thanks
Cumminsnut76

bobke
11-08-2010, 07:48 PM
take a look at an sti spartan. may be what you're looking for.http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Spartan/Spartan.php

KYCaster
11-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Yeah, what Bobke said....and check out Shooters Connection ( http://shootersconnectionstore.com/Default.aspx ) for the best price on STI.

Jerry

mtgrs737
11-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Springfield puts out a lot of gun for the money or at least they used to and their service/warrantee is top notch.

cumminsnut76
11-09-2010, 11:20 AM
I have never looked at an STI but after doing some research on the internet they seem to be pretty solid. What about an Rock island armory 1911. they are said to be as close to an original colt govt model as they can come- any thoughts or comparisons?

mike in co
11-09-2010, 11:25 AM
take a look at an sti spartan. may be what you're looking for.http://www.stiguns.com/guns/Spartan/Spartan.php

what it does not say is where it is made ????

anyone know ??

mike in co
11-09-2010, 11:26 AM
I have never looked at an STI but after doing some research on the internet they seem to be pretty solid. What about an Rock island armory 1911. they are said to be as close to an original colt govt model as they can come- any thoughts or comparisons?

me thinks there are better choices for your dollar...

cumminsnut76
11-09-2010, 11:27 AM
I read somewhere last night that part of the gun is made by armscore in the philippines......... don't know much more than that

cumminsnut76
11-09-2010, 11:28 AM
me thinks there are better choices for your dollar...

any ideas?

mike in co
11-09-2010, 11:28 AM
look at the para usa gi expert.......msrp is $599 and can be had for less.......

made in the us of a.......

mike in co

cumminsnut76
11-09-2010, 11:34 AM
look at the para usa gi expert.......msrp is $599 and can be had for less.......

mike in co

ok I'll look into that
how are they on parts? will just about any 1911 part fit them? Just trying to make a smart investment

Larry Gibson
11-09-2010, 11:36 AM
+1 on the Para.........

Larry Gibson

2shot
11-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Springfield puts out a lot of gun for the money or at least they used to and their service/warrantee is top notch.

+1 on the Springfield

bigboredad
11-09-2010, 12:43 PM
I thought STI was made in Texas but I'm not positive. I've never heard anything bad about them but I have been told I'm a bad listener

August
11-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Springfield makes a very nice gun for the money.

The icing on the cake, however, is that their customer service is EXCELLENT.

Buy a Springfield with confidence.

mike in co
11-09-2010, 04:13 PM
ok I'll look into that
how are they on parts? will just about any 1911 part fit them? Just trying to make a smart investment

i shoot mine stock...it is just what the doctor ordered....
a basic 1911 in mostly a gi confiruration.....( white dots on the sights for better pickup, hammer and trigger profiles are not stock...just looks )
i shoot 230 rn out of it....

mike in co

white eagle
11-09-2010, 07:40 PM
get yourself a nice brass catcher too!

mike in co
11-09-2010, 07:59 PM
get yourself a nice brass catcher too!

why...mine dont go far at all...now my 10mm eaa...it threw them 35 feet at a 45 degree back angle!

Walt
11-09-2010, 08:41 PM
I read somewhere last night that part of the gun is made by armscore in the philippines......... don't know much more than that

I believe that both the Rock Island and the low end STI are Philippino. The STI may be assembled here though. I have not seen the STI but the Rock Island guns are tight and are finished pretty well. I work part time in a GS and we have never had a Rock Island come back that I know of. If you can stand a few extra bucks the 5" base Kimbers and Colts are the way to go. I am a true 1911 nut (some might call me a snob and I don't care) and the import marks on the low end guns just about turns my stomach. That includes the Springfield bottom end guns too. The Springfield loaded guns are not that way. If you look at a Springfield make sure the serial number starts with NM. If you can find a used, unmodified Colt, Kimber, or American assembled Springfield you will be way ahead in the quality department. Just my thoughts. Sorry if I upset anyone. [smilie=1:

Phillip
11-09-2010, 09:49 PM
I am surprised no one has brought up the new Remington 1911 R1

http://www.1911r1.com/Products/Firearms/Model-1911r1.aspx

Looks like a nice piece and is made in the USA as well.

Walt
11-09-2010, 10:00 PM
We have had two of them in the GS where I work part time. They don't look to bad. Remington hasn't got it all down yet but, in time I think they will get there.

9.3X62AL
11-10-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm in the same place Cumminsnut is at--just leaning more toward a Commander than the GI 5". I also have some restrictions in place by my CCW-approving agency......Colt, S&W, SIG-Sauer, and Springfield Armory. It will likely be a Colt, and if it has a plastic mainspring housing/strut driver THAT will get swapped out forthwith.

casterofboolits
11-10-2010, 12:24 PM
+2 on the Para.

cumminsnut76
11-10-2010, 12:52 PM
I've done some research and am kind of leaning toward the sti anyone else have any more opinions about these?

KYCaster
11-10-2010, 09:13 PM
I've done some research and am kind of leaning toward the sti anyone else have any more opinions about these?

A couple of local guys shoot the Spartan in USPSA Single Stack division. Both of them worked 100% right out of the box...no break in, no problems. One of them has the tightest frame/slide fit I've ever seen on a gun that is 100% reliable.

The Spartan, I think, is almost all Armscor made to STI specs. The Trojan is STI internal parts assembled overseas on Armscor frame and slide.

You could spend LOTS more money and not get a better gun. There's nothing wrong with Armscor guns. (can't say the same about their ammo and brass)

Jerry

tek4260
11-10-2010, 11:36 PM
A nice used Colt or Kimber can be had for what you will spend on a Springfield, and you will be head a shoulders above them. Especially with the Kimber

cumminsnut76
11-11-2010, 10:03 PM
bump any more experience with the sti

ItZaLLgooD
11-11-2010, 10:22 PM
I got a SS Taurus about 6 months and 2000 rounds ago. $600 and no problems.

waksupi
11-12-2010, 03:19 AM
If you can find one of the Sistema Argentine Colts, they are hard to beat. Pure Colt, and used to be a lot cheaper than a US Colt. However, people discovered just how good they were, and prices have been steadily climbing.

Limey
11-13-2010, 07:14 AM
...I'm with Phillip on this....the new Remington R1 looks fabulous.....

....anybody got a shooting review on one?....anybody own one?

.....it seems to me that guns are getting like mobile phones these days......more buttons and gadgets on them than you can poke a stick at and wacky looking just to differentiate themselves from a host of other stuff in the same catagory.......

...just like my life, I like my guns simple good and wholesome....

....reliable...functional.....traditional.....hand some.....and able to do what it says on the tin without whistles and bells and then having to ''twitter'' everybody that it can go bang and hit a target!...........ain't that what guns are supposed to do?.....

......Boy!....where did all that come from?.....proof reading through my post that sounds like a right ol' rant!!!.....I must be getting old!.....but I know what I like and I buy what I need without some fashion/test guru saying or writing that it is just what I need to be 'cool' at the range, out hunting or protecting me and mine.....

...phew!....that feels better but I bet it don't help your decision none, sorry!

Straight shootin',

Limey

82nd airborne
11-13-2010, 09:11 AM

mike in co

Mike is right, with the money you save you can customize it any way you like and still have some left over. Unlike most GI remakes, the para has a larger ejection port and a more powerful extractor, which makes for a more reliable gun. Exept I think they may be made in canada, but could very well be wrong.

Walt
11-13-2010, 01:40 PM
cumminsnut76,
We just got a used SS Colt Combat Commander in at the GS where I work part time. The manager here wants $600 for it. I can get him to email you pictures of it if you have any interest.
Walt

trickyasafox
11-13-2010, 01:49 PM
I have never handled a Para-

but I own a mil-spec and an American Classic II

if you want something with an arched mainspring, short trigger, and 3 dot sights- go for the mil-spec

if you like long triggers, flat MSH, and novak style sights, I like the ACII.

the Mil-spec is a great gun out of the box, but for someone who doesn't mind a bit more departure from the 1911a1, and likes the mix of old and new (extended safety but not ambi, nice sights, and memory pad on the grip safety) the ACII is an AWFUL LOT of gun for the money. I paid about 520 for my ACII in blue, and 640 for my Mil-Spec in Stainless.

I haven't swapped out parts on the ACII, but I believe it to be a series 70 style gun. I have done some swapping on the Mil-Spec, and can say aside from the grip safety, every thing has been nearly drop in.

obviously triggers and MSH are not deal breakers, but if you want a gun that shoots well and to just leave it alone out of the box, they are things to think about. Both guns shoot great out of the box, but my ACII did have a much nicer trigger. 1 gun of each make though does not a meaningful comparison make.

2shot
11-16-2010, 12:13 PM
I am surprised no one has brought up the new Remington 1911 R1

Looks like a nice piece and is made in the USA as well.

From what I have heard from the Bullseye shooting community this pistol is NOT made in the USA and is questionable quality for Bullseye or Hardball match conversion. I'm not sure if this is true but I'd check it out before I buy one when there are so many others made in the USA.

mike in co
11-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Mike is right, with the money you save you can customize it any way you like and still have some left over. Unlike most GI remakes, the para has a larger ejection port and a more powerful extractor, which makes for a more reliable gun. Exept I think they may be made in canada, but could very well be wrong.

they moved to the usa about 2-3 yrs ago.......so made here now
north carolina i believe

mike in co

David2011
11-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Springfield makes a good gun for the money. I had one of the loaded parkerized models. After about 300 rounds it ran great. Actually, it ran great from the start but accuracy improved greatly after a break-in period. Wish I hadn't sold it. It was a very good gun. I like STI's double stack guns but have no hands-on experience withthe Trojan. What about the Taurus 1911? I've handled a number of them but never shot one. They appear to be a good gun. Personally I would prefer one of the "Loaded" Springfields over a standard Colt.

Much depends on if you want something that looks like a GI gun or if you want a beavertail grip safety, larger sights, modern looking trigger and hammer and so on. You can get Springfield's quality in a GI looking gun. I don't currently own any Sprongfields but I am a fan of their line of 1911s.

David

mike in co
11-16-2010, 11:35 PM
most of the lower end 1911 guns are made in the phillipines or brazil......

my research showed about a 50/50 acceptance/failure of these guns....

taurus springfield etc..i was not going to put out $500 plus for a 50/50 chance at a "good" gun.

so i put off buying one.......

then para popped up with the gi expert....msrp 599.....my cost a lot less....
made in the usa, as they had moved from canada.....

just re-enforcing my comments......

mike in co

( as a side note..i built a 10mm p16. one of my mags was giving me trouble. i emailed para...that i needed to buy a replacement follower.....thier reply"whats your address?" it shipped yesterday.)

dualsport
11-17-2010, 01:35 AM
I support 'buy American' but did get a chance to buy a Charles Daly at a great price and went for it. You can't have too many .45s, right? It's an Arsmcorp gun. Fit and finish are verygood, it's accurate and feeds anything from swcs to ball ammo no problem. The factory included some nice upgrades from a basic. There's always the 'build your own' route, although it turns out that's no way to save money. I would be fine taking my Philipino .45 to a gunfight. Maybe I just lucked out and got a good one, who knows? Pride of ownership is another matter. No bragging rights at the club.

Moonie
11-17-2010, 04:01 PM
I've owned a Springfield and a Kimber, I currently own a Taurus, seems every bit as good a gun as those were stock. Kimber stayed stock, Springfield didn't.

500bfrman
11-17-2010, 06:10 PM
From what I have heard from the Bullseye shooting community this pistol is NOT made in the USA and is questionable quality for Bullseye or Hardball match conversion. I'm not sure if this is true but I'd check it out before I buy one when there are so many others made in the USA.

Well either what you have heard is wrong, or Remington is lying.
it states right on the page
The Remington Model 1911 R1 is manufactured with pride and precision, to the exacting standards you’ve come to expect from Remington. Right here in Ilion, New York.

2shot
11-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Well either what you have heard is wrong, or Remington is lying.
it states right on the page
The Remington Model 1911 R1 is manufactured with pride and precision, to the exacting standards you’ve come to expect from Remington. Right here in Ilion, New York.

Manufactured, maybe but where are the castings/forgings coming from?

Not flaming you. this is just what I have heard and I tend to believe my source.

So maybe we're both 1/2 right.

GARCIA
11-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Do a search for :BUDS GUNS
Might be surprised what you can get!

Tom

mike in co
11-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Manufactured, maybe but where are the castings/forgings coming from?

Not flaming you. this is just what I have heard and I tend to believe my source.

So maybe we're both 1/2 right.

welll...mytake on the word "manufactured" is made....not assembled.........so my take would be there are made in the usa....now that does not mean a manufacturer could be twisting words.

the local dictionary says to make from raw materials...

mike in co

2shot
11-24-2010, 05:47 PM
welll...mytake on the word "manufactured" is made....not assembled.........so my take would be there are made in the usa....now that does not mean a manufacturer could be twisting words.

the local dictionary says to make from raw materials...

mike in co

Well Mike we're both right and wrong. Do a search for the Remington R1 1911 in the Bullseye-L-list Archives and we have our answer. At this time the parts for the Remington are NOT being made by Remington BUT they are made in the USA. Remington has plans for tooling up to do it's own castings and barrels in the near future but for now they are being made by someone else. Assembly is done at Remington. If you know who made Ping Golf putter heads up until a few years ago then you have the answer as to who is making the castings for Remington. So when Remington says made right here in the USA they are right but it's a play on words because they are NOT made right here at Remington but rather assembled at Remington.
So far some good reviews for a $700 Remington 1911 but the Bullseye Guru's are still preaching the vertues of the Springfield Mil Spec for a gun to build into a tack driver.

Don

mnzrxer
11-25-2010, 01:15 AM
If you don't mind buying a gun made in the Philippines I would definitely recommend a Rock Island. They have the basic GI setup as well as the Tactical with a beavertail, commander hammer and better sights. I picked up a used 1911A1 model for cheap and was very impressed with the accuracy and reliability. The only trouble I had with it before I started messing around changing parts and causing self inflicted issues was with a cheap aftermarket magazine the previous owner had sold with the gun. The slide fits tight to the frame, the barrel locks up tight, the trigger was pretty decent with a 4-4 1/2 lb break (using a cheap fish scale) and it would feed SWC ammo just as well as ball.

A friend also bought the 4" version of the same gun and has had no problems with it. I will be buying another Rock Island in the future and now that I have fixed the problems I caused feel completely comfortable relying on it to carry.

CJR
11-25-2010, 01:34 PM
I recommend the Armscor made Rock Island Armory 1911. I've got two Armscors; a RIA compact (Officer's size 3.5" bbl.), and a Charles Daly full-size. Both guns have lot's of hardness marks on them to check/guarantee proper hardness/strength of parts. Likewise, Armscor is an ISO 9001 qualified manufacturer (i.e. meets international quality manufacturing standards) , i.e. not many arms manufacturers are. The guns are very accurate and most importantly, go bang everytime. Also, Armscor has a master gunsmith located I believe in Arizona who will upgrade your piece with all kinds of goodies at reasonable prices. I hear their match full-size 1911s are a bargain and are shooters. I suggest you visit a couple of RIA forums on the 1911 websites and see what owners have to say.

I forgot to mention that RIAs have a lifetime warranty.

Best regards,

CJR