PDA

View Full Version : Help Wanted

SharpsShooter
11-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Wanted

Information leading to the identification of a very nice SXS double shotgun.

A gent stopped by yesterday with a shotgun for me to identify and possibly appraise. That in itself is odd as anyone that knows me knows I don't fool with scatter-guns. Single shot rifles yes, shotguns no. At any rate, I want to try to help him out.

It is 16ga hammer-less, double trigger. The trigger guard has a protruding horn on the front of the bow apparently for resting the trigger finger while awaiting a shot.

Barrels are 30 inches, choke undetermined and appear to be pre-nitro steel, but not Damascus. Bores are lightly pitted suggesting Black Powder cartridge usage or corrosive priming

Forearm is a splinter with lever latch. The buttstock is well shaped and has a 1/2” of right hand cast off, cheek-piece on the left side and the left side comb has been scalloped to fit some one with a heavy face. The scallop was done prior to stock finish, suggesting it was fitted to the gentleman who originally purchased it.

It has sling swivels fore and aft that reminding me of a few drillings I have encountered.

The metal work is very nice, engraving is not over done, but the detail is superb. The hand cut screws are engraved on both ends I should mention it does have a tang safety.

The barrel markings;

On the rib - HERM REINJHARDT WEBNIGERODE

Under the barrel on the flat there is a crown with a slash under it and the letter N. Ont the same surface is written “2g SCH.P”

Looking at the bottom of the receiver directly in front of the trigger guard One sees “DRT 52061 (the 1 may actually be a 7)

Last item of note is that the barrels, lock and forend hanger are all marked with the number 91, suggesting a fitted set perhaps.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

SS

elk hunter
11-09-2010, 02:46 PM
If I'm reading your notes correctly your friends shotgun is either German or Austrian, Herm Reinjhardt is the maker and Webnigerode is the city where Reinjhardt worked. The "crown N" mark is the nitro proof mark and "2g Sch.p" indicates 2grams (56 grains) of Schultze powder. Schultze was an early smokeless powder.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I can't find a listing for maker or city to narrow down your search.

Hope this is helpful.

SharpsShooter
11-09-2010, 03:02 PM
That's a big help. The City Wernigerode is located southwest of Halberstadt, and is situated on the Holtemme river, on the north slopes of the Harz Mountains. Wernigerode is located on the German Half-Timbered House Road.

Wernigerode was the capital of the medieval County of Wernigerode and Stolberg-Wernigerode. In 1815, after the Napoleonic Wars, it became part of the Prussian Province of Saxony. The Hasseröder brewery was founded in Wernigerode in 1872.

"2g Sch.p" indicates 2grams (56 grains) of Schultze powder. Schultze was an early smokeless powder.

56gr seems to be a stout smokeless load. Is this the proof load? or the suggested load?

Thank you for your help.

SS

trooperdan
11-10-2010, 10:30 AM
56 gr is a PROOF load! Certainly not a recommended load!

SharpsShooter
11-10-2010, 10:40 AM
56 gr is a PROOF load! Certainly not a recommended load!

LOL Dan that was my initial reaction too. Then I read Oscar Guttmann's 1895 book of explosive manufacturing that lists this powder.

He stated.....Schultze was an early smokeless powder that required twice the charge weight to equal the performance of black powder.

Given that the powder used to proof the gun was so underpowered, I'm going to recommend that he avoid modern high brass loads like the plague. In fact, I'd limit myself to “trap” loads or black powder loads. Even if it was proofed with "nitro" powder! Obviously, the early stuff was a bit weak.

SS

elk hunter
11-11-2010, 11:53 AM
LOL Dan that was my initial reaction too. Then I read Oscar Guttmann's 1895 book of explosive manufacturing that lists this powder.

He stated.....Schultze was an early smokeless powder that required twice the charge weight to equal the performance of black powder.

Given that the powder used to proof the gun was so underpowered, I'm going to recommend that he avoid modern high brass loads like the plague. In fact, I'd limit myself to “trap” loads or black powder loads. Even if it was proofed with "nitro" powder! Obviously, the early stuff was a bit weak.

SS

Sharpsshooter,

If your friend wants to shoot his shotgun he should have it checked by someone who is knowledgeable about old shotguns, and believe me not every gunsmith is. If it were me, and I felt it was safe or had a knowledgeable person say it was safe, I'd be loading low pressure loads for it. I'd look for loads that generate 6000 lup or lower in deference to the guns age. Modern low brass or trap loads develop much higher pressure than the old gun was designed to handle. I have seen shotguns with frames sprung or cracked at the angle from shooting modern ammunition.