PDA

View Full Version : Hollow point?

LIMPINGJ
11-08-2010, 11:30 AM
I got a NOE 326407 3 cavity mold with 1 cavity hollow pointed. I have never had a HP mold before, which seems to work best? Use just the HP cavity like a single cavity mold or fill all 3 cavity? Just wondering if anyone has tried both ways and which worked best for you.

Doby45
11-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Do you need more solid boolits? If you already have a boatload of solids I would not make more solids just cause I want to pour some hollowpoints. Of course you will have to use the hollowpoint as a single cavity, because it is a single cavity. So if you get the notion in your mind that you want to go pour some hollowpoints, just pour the hollowpoints. If you think to yourself while you are pouring hollowpoints that you might like to have some solids then pour some solids too.

Piedmont
11-08-2010, 01:53 PM
I think the mould will cast better if you use all the cavities, because even if you just use one it is still a three cavity block. You need to run HP moulds hot for fill out. I just don't think you can run it hot if you use one cavity.

LIMPINGJ
11-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Piedmont that was what I was thinking.

fredj338
11-08-2010, 04:11 PM
I've got a couple of 2cavs w/ 1 HP cav. It doesn't seem to matter either way; cast both or only one. Mine are iron molds though, maybe it would be diff w/ aluminum.

Jack Stanley
11-08-2010, 08:08 PM
I have a two cavity Carmer with a hollow point in one of them and unless the mold is already to hot to use it doen't like to be run alone .

Jack