PDA

View Full Version : My first WW score

dunkel
11-08-2010, 01:26 AM
Had drill this weekend, and on the way to the armory, I noticed I was passing a lot of repair shops. I guess it's in kind of an industrial part of town, as there are truck dealerships, truck repair shops, tire shops, junkyards, etc all over the place. Oh, and about half a dozen strip clubs in a 6 mile stretch, lol.

Anyway, Saturday after we got released, I stopped by a couple shops that were still open. Struck out at the first one. The guy said that they sell their wheel weights off and had just gotten rid of a load. He said he could get $2000-3000 for a 55 gallon drum of lead. But he did say to stop by next time I'm drilling and he'd hook me up. I guess I'll see what he means by that next month.

The second shop was a little better. Asked for scrap weights and he was real friendly and grabbed me a couple handfuls that he had laying around. He asked how many I could use and I told him I'd take whatever he wanted to get rid of. I guess he just wanted to get rid of two handfuls, lol. I might try them again, but will bring a six pack or box of donuts or something.

On a side note, after I got the weights, I went back out to my truck...and it wouldn't start. Damned if I didn't run out of gas just as I was pulling in and shutting off the engine. Talk about embarrassing, lol :oops:. There was a station nearby, so I got some gas and got back on the road, but I know the guys at the station were laughing.

Anyway, I was just pleased at my first score. I'll need to sort them, get the clips, etc, of course. But with the lead I got from the berm on my last range trip and these weights, I might actually have a fairly respectable first pot.

WILCO
11-08-2010, 09:03 AM
I might actually have a fairly respectable first pot.

That's the best. The first smelt.

fryboy
11-08-2010, 10:56 AM
it's not to late to stop before the addiction is total ........lolz pretty soon you will be noting the ww's on vehicles with a fond glance ( especially the bigger ones ) FWIW 50/50 ww's and scrap lead make a decent alloy that usually can be quenched if needed , it wont quite harden to the level of unadulterated ww's but should suffice for all but the most demanding pistol applications , the range lead is a toss up as it states on the LASC site - "can be anything and is " , the cautionary tales apply , we'd much rather have you casting than getting burned , getting burned a lil bit is something we expect to happen so it's always nice when it doesnt happen ;) happy castin' amigo !

home in oz
11-09-2010, 03:12 AM
If they say how much do you want, mention that you have a little bucked in you vehicle.

Mostly they will mostly fill it up....

I use a two gal bucket....

JJC
11-09-2010, 04:27 AM
Keep going. I walk away empty handed more often than not. Every once in a while it will pay off. I also keep a bucket in my truck to dump into or swap.

lwknight
11-09-2010, 05:07 AM
I think the guy was filling you with malarchy about getting over $2000.00 for a 55 gallon drum of lead. The last drum I bought 90% full was 1270 pounds.
It has 40 +- pounds cast bullets , 480 pounds small letter lino and the rest WWs.
I paid $870.00 for it.